JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My middle son just got his ASVAB results back. AFQT of 97 and GT of 138. Not too shabby. He's a junior and 17 and is looking at going in the Air Force next year.

He was telling me he didnt think he did that good because another kid in his class got a 99. Kids.

My middle son just got his ASVAB results back. AFQT of 97 and GT of 138. Not too shabby. He's a junior and 17 and is looking at going in the Air Force next year.

He was telling me he didn't think he did that good because another kid in his class got a 99. Kids.

At least he isn't a "Bart Simpson" (underachiever). You raised someone with intelligence.

(Psssst... GO NAVY)!

Last Edited:
Cool with that high score he can almost write his own ticket. As a former recruiter (Army) , he can name the price providing a vacancy available. From all my years in the field only saw one that high. Has he thought about the military academy?

Cool with that high score he can almost write his own ticket. As a former recruiter (Army) , he can name the price providing a vacancy available. From all my years in the field only saw one that high. Has he thought about the military academy?

I don't know. Its a bit premature to talk about the academy. He's doing an associates in computer something or other while he's finishing high school. After all this is over we'll see the recruiter and see what we can do. My oldest son just finished his masters degree 100% paid for by the GI Bill/Air Force after 4 years in and he's only 25. No moss on rolling stones for my boys.

I had a 128 and I never met anyone with a higher score when I was in. Funny thing is when I took my ASVAB a friend was going into the Marines the same day and we went out the night before and got plowed on El Toro Tequila in the 2 quart plastic bottle. I woke up with a BRUTAL hangover and there the recruiter is at my door. Took the test and got a 93 AFQT and 128 GT. Years later I retook the test and spent months prepping for it because I KNEW I could do better. Nope. Got a 128.

Last Edited:
I don't know. Its a bit premature to talk about the academy. He's doing an associates in computer something or other while he's finishing high school. After all this is over we'll see the recruiter and see what we can do. My oldest son just finished his masters degree 100% paid for by the GI Bill/Air Force after 4 years in and he's only 25. No moss on rolling stones for my boys.

Excellent!

As a USAF vet, the best advice I can give is for him to really ponder what career he wants to retire from, and pursue that job in the military. That way he'll get all the certifications required to transition to the civilian world afterwards. Also, as soon as he can, start taking classes on base; either online, or in person. He could finish a bachelors degree in his first enlistment, and applying for officer training school. Prior enlisted officers are highly respected as opposed to fresh out of college butter bars.

As a USAF vet, the best advice I can give is for him to really ponder what career he wants to retire from, and pursue that job in the military. That way he'll get all the certifications required to transition to the civilian world afterward. Also, as soon as he can, start taking classes on base; either online, or in person. He could finish a bachelor's degree in his first enlistment, and applying for officer training school. Prior enlisted officers are highly respected as opposed to fresh out of college butter bars.

I'll go along with that. They made me an Aviation Machinist's Mate. It wasn't my strength. I have been fighting ever since to go back to the entertainment industry.

I am extremely conservative. This makes it difficult fo "fit in" with the preponderance of the "show business" crowd. (I tend to mock their Leftist butts).

Help him to get physically fit - by that I mean strong. The flyboys need to have strong thumbs to work those controllers (remote control for TV, A/C, drone ) ;-)

Seriously, being strong is the best thing when entering training. Endurance comes after being strong.
Starting Strength

Also see Monica's thread about her son.

Thank you for your service, and that of your family.

Good for him!
They will likely try to talk him into what they need right now.
I enlisted wanting to get into river patrol boats since I like boats and saw Apocalypse Now a few too many times. (Hey, I was 18 and clueless!) Then I scored a 99 on the ASVAB and the recruiter instead convinced me there was such a thing as Military Intelligence. :rolleyes:

Congrats! I agree with what QuarterMaster says, Really look ahead and try to pick a good path to the future! I speak from experience here, Some times the job picks you and that can really derail life's plans like mine did! I have no regrets, I loved my duty, but I left that world as far behind as I could when it was over!

For quality of life and training I would suggest the USAF. No disrespect to other branches. A long technology school in either the medical or electronic field should see him do well in the civilian sector.

Congrats! I agree with what QuarterMaster says, Really look ahead and try to pick a good path to the future! I speak from experience here, Some times the job picks you and that can really derail life's plans like mine did! I have no regrets, I loved my duty, but I left that world as far behind as I could when it was over!

He's going to make his own decisions I'm sure. When I went in the Army I was all gung ho and signed up for everything. Even signed up for West Point Prep. Tested and sailed through ,physical etc. Then the last step was to do an interview with my commander. I went in to see him and it wasnt what I was expecting at all. He spent two hours essentially telling me how much his job sucked balls and what being an officer in the Army was really like especially in peace time. After that interview I pulled my application and never looked back. Glad I did. I had fun in the Army in ways oficers can't. Did my 4 years and got out and I'm glad I did. My son will make his own decisions. He may choose to go officer but I seriously doubt it. He may even choose not to go in the Air Force at all although I seriously doubt that too. He seems pretty pumped up about it but theres still over a year to go.

I'll tell you one thing. When my son gets out of the Air Force I'll give him the advice I give everyone and no one ever listens to me.

MBA.

He's going to make his own decisions I'm sure. When I went in the Army I was all gung ho and signed up for everything. Even signed up for West Point Prep. Tested and sailed through ,physical etc. Then the last step was to do an interview with my commander. I went in to see him and it wasnt what I was expecting at all. He spent two hours essentially telling me how much his job sucked balls and what being an officer in the Army was really like especially in peace time. After that interview I pulled my application and never looked back. Glad I did. I had fun in the Army in ways oficers can't. Did my 4 years and got out and I'm glad I did. My son will make his own decisions. He may choose to go officer but I seriously doubt it. He may even choose not to go in the Air Force at all although I seriously doubt that too. He seems pretty pumped up about it but theres still over a year to go.

Encourage him to spend some time around some "mature" veterans. This should help him to understand that there's a lot more to it than barracks life and work.

The public that hasn't spent any time in the military hasn't a clue how different life is from the "civilian world". It is an entirely different "social sphere".

Civilians just can't comprehend this. Most don't want to, nor do they care. (After all, it is already being done for them).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top