Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Asteroid

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Karma, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Karma

Karma the woods in Oregon Active Member

I had missed the 1300' asteroid that is supposed to nearly miss earth on Tuesday. News articles say that this large mass will travel between the earth and the moon. Experts say not to worry, because the chances of it impacting earth is "nill". It just got me thinking that this would be the exact same thing we would hear if impact was imminent. I guess that is why we should always be prepared. Never know what the threat might be, or when it might present itself. Stay safe.

2. CommandoJoe

CommandoJoe Pacific Northwest Member

And there is that national emergency broadcast test Wednesday, and Congress taking the week off... Hopefully nothing comes of it, but there is a lot going on right now.

3. theguncrank

theguncrank Columbia County Active Member

According to the info on JPL's website, there is an "uncertainty" rating of 2 (0 being "good" and 10 being "goodbye") on Earth impact; and the margin of error on their time calculation says it's less than one minute. Given that the estimated approach distance is 201,700 miles, and earth travels through space at... Oh, bubblegummit, these are the same guys that miscalculated the metric conversion for a billion dollar spacecraft and crashed it into Mars... I'm worried...

Hook686, Riot, jdub75 and 5 others like this.
  4. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

being a literalist, pre-millenialist christian, i find myself incapable of worrying.

interesting, though... i'm not aware of anything this big passing this close for as long as we've been paying attention

ogre and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;cZfsnA7dAHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZfsnA7dAHI[/video]

6. theguncrank

theguncrank Columbia County Active Member

I don't really worry either. I'm a pre-canonical Gnostic.

CharonPDX and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Planet X is approaching and that is why we are having earthquakes and tsunamis.. watch your 6

8. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

+1 but I prefer me some Tool:)

Tool - Aenima - YouTube

safooma, Asp, mjbskwim and 5 others like this.
  9. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

I just got off the phone with Bruce Willis. His team is already headed to Cape Canaveral. He said we should all be fine.

10. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

;) That's definitely getting played when it (California) turns into "Arizona bay".

11. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

Not too worried, but Ill be playng MW3 all day long since I took Tuesday off. Not too concerned, but have been following this for a good minute, its not "new"s. lol It is is what it is

.82 lunar units so they say, closer than Id like... But it at the end of the day... If you put time into perspective the odds are VERY much in our favor that this isnt "it".

IM GOING TO GO MAKE ME A FOIL HELMET REGARDLESS SO THAT i CAN JOIN THE PARTY

12. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

As a prepper I'd have to say that with something like this you really can't worry too much about it. If it hits us there isn't much we can do anyways except stick our heads between our legs and kiss our arse goodbye.

13. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

I don't know...he's a bit older now. I bet his daughter Liv still looks good. Oops did I just type that?

14. Father of four

Ohhh..thats right. He died on the last rock.

15. Father of four

Where's Chuck Norris?

16. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

What is the best caliber to use against an asteroid 9, 40 or 45? Haha
    Mike

17. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

9MM will just bounce off :paranoid:

18. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

best "stopping power" is probably gonna come from a 22" cal...

150px-W-87_warhead_diagram.svg.png

19. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

45 is too slow- never make it there in time. Only rational choice is to launch a .40 handgun into space and hope that when it blows up (because they all do) the explosion will change the path of the asteroid.

If you need any more good advice, I'll be in my bunker.

20. MinnesotaORnewbie

MinnesotaORnewbie Oregon Active Member

If something that big was going to come "close" to hitting earth, there are plenty of agencies around the world that would give warning but I believe alot of press would be altered for fear of wide spread panic. Could you imagine what would be going on if the world knew it was about to be the end. OMG, I would fear what everyone would be doing the days before hand more than the impact. Please don't tell me when it is going to happen.