JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm sorting through my dad's estate after his passing a few months ago. Among them I found many boxes of spent brass of various caliber. I also found a lot of random gun parts for a LOT of different guns (he was a gunsmith). Any thoughts on what to do with all of this?

I'm sorting through my dad's estate after his passing a few months ago. Among them I found many boxes of spent brass of various caliber. I also found a lot of random gun parts for a LOT of different guns (he was a gunsmith). Any thoughts on what to do with all of this?
For the brass: Do you reload? If so, use it, if not I'm sure you could give it away to a friend who reloads or sell it on here.

The random gun parts might be tougher to get rid of depending on what you've got.

You could alway post up some pictures.

Well the brass, if sorted by caliber could be sold in the NWFA classifieds under the appropriate heading eg "Relaoding Supplies". Gun parts, and being a smith, you might strike up a conversation with our resident smith extraordinaire Mr Tim Copeland @Velzey . Parts of guns might be something Tim would want to have a look at.

For the brass: Do you reload? If so, use it, if not I'm sure you could give it away to a friend who reloads or sell it on here.

The random gun parts might be tougher to get rid of depending on what you've got.

You could alway post up some pictures.

Yeah, we miss him dearly. I reload .243Win and .45ACP, but his brass is a lot more varied. I'm just helping my mom out and not really looking to make a buck. So if posting them for free on the classified forum on this site is the best way to go, then I'll do that.

Well the brass, if sorted by caliber could be sold in the NWFA classifieds under the appropriate heading eg "Relaoding Supplies". Gun parts, and being a smith, you might strike up a conversation with our resident smith extraordinaire Mr Tim Copeland @Velzey . Parts of guns might be something Tim would want to have a look at.

Sounds great. I'll see if I can connect with Tim.

Sorry to hear about your dad, but good on you to try and find homes for his stuff. Adds to the work, but somehow feels better.

Has the brass been processed at all? Still have spent primers? Has it been cleaned/resized already, etc? That info can help move brass.

You can find a buyer for almost all brass (not sure if anyone would buy [or save for that matter] spent 22 casings)

Exotic calibers especially true (think outside of 9mm/.223/etc).

For parts, you might be best off with a thread of "unknown parts" and share the story you shared here. Lots of good gun minds on here that'd be more than eager to identify anything they can! Good way to find buyers potentially too, or value if you're looking for it.

Yeah, we miss him dearly. I reload .243Win and .45ACP, but his brass is a lot more varied. I'm just helping my mom out and not really looking to make a buck. So if posting them for free on the classified forum on this site is the best way to go, then I'll do that.
I think that's really great of you to possibly give it away, and if it's not something that is in high demand, perhaps that would be the way to go. Nothing wrong with selling it though for a good price and giving the proceeds to your mother.

Sorry to hear about your dad, but good on you to try and find homes for his stuff. Adds to the work, but somehow feels better.

Has the brass been processed at all? Still have spent primers? Has it been cleaned/resized already, etc? That info can help move brass.

You can find a buyer for almost all brass (not sure if anyone would buy [or save for that matter] spent 22 casings)

Exotic calibers especially true (think outside of 9mm/.223/etc).

For parts, you might be best off with a thread of "unknown parts" and share the story you shared here. Lots of good gun minds on here that'd be more than eager to identify anything they can! Good way to find buyers potentially too, or value if you're looking for it.

Thanks! Dad was a great gunsmith but an even better man. We miss him!

Thanks for the excellent tips and advice. None of the brass is processed. With a full time job (thank goodness) and two little kids, time is at a premium. I'll see what I can do to sort through things.

I think that's really great of you to possibly give it away, and if it's not something that is in high demand, perhaps that would be the way to go. Nothing wrong with selling it though for a good price and giving the proceeds to your mother.

Yeah, it would be great to derive some value out of it for mom. I've been doing that with other stuff I'm more familiar with, but I feel like an ignoramous when it comes to dad's gun related collections...there is just such a vast amount of knowledge.

I also found a lot of random gun parts for a LOT of different guns (he was a gunsmith). Any thoughts on what to do with all of this?

Depending upon what they are, gun parts can sell well on ebay. For good money. Your problem is one of identification, possibly also of not having time to market them. Selling stuff on ebay is time-consuming. So you might do well to consider turning them over to someone more knowledgeable and has the time to do it and split the take with them for their labor.

Depending upon what they are, gun parts can sell well on ebay. For good money. Your problem is one of identification, possibly also of not having time to market them. Selling stuff on ebay is time-consuming. So you might do well to consider turning them over to someone more knowledgeable and has the time to do it and split the take with them for their labor.

You have summarized my predicament very succinctly! Do you know anyone who is knowledgeable and have time to do this?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top