JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow. Not even a buyback proposal. So...let me get this straight...

- The state wants to make a previously legal item illegal
- Then force owners of that item to dispose of it or become a felon?

Has there ever been a time in US Law where the government has done this with any other item? Even automatics were grandfathered in, no?

I'm hoping my measly email to my (democratic) representative will get them to vote this down. But, assuming it does pass, does anyone know if it's even legal? (Is it going to get an injunction and tied up in court and, maybe, struck down?)

Has there ever been a time in US Law where the government has done this with any other item? Even automatics were grandfathered in, no?

I'm hoping my measly email to my (democratic) representative will get them to vote this down. But, assuming it does pass, does anyone know if it's even legal? (Is it going to get an injunction and tied up in court and, maybe, struck down?)

There is a whole section about registration, which is not great, but basically renders this whole bill ineffective, or at least limits it to a ban on buying or transferring new 'assault weapons' into your possession.

At the moment there is nothing in that bill that would identify a registered AR as ok or an unregistered one as illegal, except for the database, so unless you are doing something that warrants police attention and confiscation/inspection of your gun in the first place, I'm not seeing how someone would get caught or in trouble for owning an unregistered 'assault weapon'.

Yes, those pesky bump stocks. That's why the ban on them were so bad. Once you agree to let that vampire through the door you'll never get him out. Oh, did I say vampire? I meant government.

Now we told the government they can take our property. The stocks were deemed accessories but they label AR15 as assault weapons as if that still isn't "arms" covered by the BILL of Rights.

There is a whole section about registration, which is not great, but basically renders this whole bill ineffective, or at least limits it to a ban on buying or transferring new 'assault weapons' into your possession.

At the moment there is nothing in that bill that would identify a registered AR as ok or an unregistered one as illegal, except for the database, so unless you are doing something that warrants police attention and confiscation/inspection of your gun in the first place, I'm not seeing how someone would get caught or in trouble for owning an unregistered 'assault weapon'.
There's already a list of gun owners in the CHL databases (for those of us who have done that).

Can you imagine a world where this is used as probable cause to inspect my firearms case?

Cause I can. And I don't think my tin hat need even come out for this one.

Should it pass I wonder how many will camp out at the capital the night before it goes into affect with all their "ill-retained" hardware and challenge the unlawful ORS the old fashioned way?

Well, it does limit use to private property or purpose built shooting ranges, so hunting or plinking with them on public land would be out, registered or not.

Well, it does limit use to private property or purpose built shooting ranges, so hunting or plinking with them on public land would be out, registered or not.

"While engaged in the legal use of the assault weapon or large capacity magazine, at a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting;"

It depends on how this part of section 6 is defined, if they even bother. I would say every dispersed shooting site I use or have seen in the woods that is safe and legal is designed for shooting. I know Wolf Creek is.

On a less legal level, I doubt the LEO's that patrol dispersed shooting sites give a rats behind about enforcing a law like this.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top