JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With this proposed legislation it would be a Class B felony to posses a gun with any of the features they don't like.
I looked up Class B felony and that is something that you can be put in prison for 6-25 years.
This is some grade A Bull Manure.

Unless Im compensated for my private property they can go phuck themselves.
Not going to throw away $500-$1800 firearms without getting a cent back.
As Ive stated in other threads, Id want cold hard cash and the exact dollar amount of what I paid. They'd also have to buy the mags, tools and dedicated accessories. If they arent willing to do that, again.. felony or not, they can phuck themselves.

With this proposed legislation it would be a Class B felony to posses a gun with any of the features they don't like.
I looked up Class B felony and that is something that you can be put in prison for 6-25 years.
This is some grade A Bull Manure.
This is the type of stuff blood is spilled over.

I hope this doesn't move any further, but who knows. While there is a lot of talk of gun control at a federal level lately, I have also read instances where more moderate Dems and Repubs both understand that punishment of those who are not doing anything wrong is not the way to go. I imagine that whether this bill goes anywhere or not will depend on that combined with the concern that does exist amongst Oregon Dems that they may not do so well in the next local elections, and that they don't want to further alienate gun owners that vote Dem.

I hope this doesn't move any further, but who knows. While there is a lot of talk of gun control at a federal level lately, I have also read instances where more moderate Dems and Repubs both understand that punishment of those who are not doing anything wrong is not the way to go. I imagine that whether this bill goes anywhere or not will depend on that combined with the concern that does exist amongst Oregon Dems that they may not do so well in the next local elections, and that they don't want to further alienate gun owners that vote Dem.
This is not a bill. This is an initiative petition similar to IP-43 that was proposed last year. The legislature has nothing to do with it. The sponsor is a long-time left wing activist lawyer from Salem.

There was a previous thread on this in Feb.

This is not a bill. This is an initiative petition similar to IP-43 that was proposed last year. The legislature has nothing to do with it. The sponsor is a long-time left wing activist lawyer from Salem.

There was a previous thread on this in Feb.

Even so, I feel like the amount of gun owning Dems in this state may keep this from going too far. I hope, anyhow.

Even so, I feel like the amount of gun owning Dems in this state may keep this from going too far. I hope, anyhow.
I hope you are right. Like someone mentioned earlier, it doesn't seem to have gone very far since Feb. Apparently they haven't got the 1,000 signatures necessary to begin the process. He's not paying signature gatherers and there hasn't been the publicity around it that there was around IP-43. Wasson's activism has had more to do with the initiative process than gun control. This seems to be his first foray into anti-gun legislation.

Wow. Not even a buyback proposal. So...let me get this straight...

- The state wants to make a previously legal item illegal
- Then force owners of that item to dispose of it or become a felon?

Has there ever been a time in US Law where the government has done this with any other item? Even automatics were grandfathered in, no?

I'm hoping my measly email to my (democratic) representative will get them to vote this down. But, assuming it does pass, does anyone know if it's even legal? (Is it going to get an injunction and tied up in court and, maybe, struck down?)

It will pass ,they have the deck stacked . We no longer have representatives we have dictators. Oregon used to be such a nice safe place to be a American.

Last Edited:
there is the option of registration. I get that most people still don't like that, but would it be cause for blood? For the vast majority, I doubt it.
Oh no not for mere registration or grandfathering. Not at all.
Many would agree to that as its better than nothing and truthfully the logical course of action here.

But forced property forfeiture with zero compensation.. I can tell you right now that just wont fly.

If the antis really wanted to play ball here, they'd grandfather (and possibly register) what was already owned, then restrict future sales of modern sporting rifles to NFA status, Still available, but with NFA limits and terms. They could then grandfather owned mags/drums and ban future sales of standard and high cap mag/drums while limiting capacity to some asinine, arbitrary limit like 20-15-13-7 as they've tried in other states.

That truly is the only "compromise" they can hope for.. but it would require them to actually compromise, not just demand.

Blood spilling will only take place if uncompensated confiscation arose since they keep wording it as such.

Oh no not for mere registration or grandfathering. Not at all.
Many would agree to that as its better than nothing and truthfully the logical course of action here.

But forced property forfeiture with zero compensation.. I can tell you right now that just wont fly.

If the antis really wanted to play ball here, they'd grandfather (and possibly register) what was already owned, then restrict future sales of modern sporting rifles to NFA status, Still available, but with NFA limits and terms. They could then grandfather owned mags/drums and ban future sales of standard and high cap mag/drums while limiting capacity to some asinine, arbitrary limit like 20-15-13-7 as they've tried in other states.

That truly is the only "compromise" they can hope for.. but it would require them to actually compromise, not just demand.

Blood spilling will only take place if uncompensated confiscation arose since they keep wording it as such.

We all know the purpose of Registration

There is a whole section about registration, which is not great, but basically renders this whole bill ineffective, or at least limits it to a ban on buying or transferring new 'assault weapons' into your possession.

At the moment there is nothing in that bill that would identify a registered AR as ok or an unregistered one as illegal, except for the database, so unless you are doing something that warrants police attention and confiscation/inspection of your gun in the first place, I'm not seeing how someone would get caught or in trouble for owning an unregistered 'assault weapon'.
Also illegal under federal law. The gun owners protection act of 1986 forbids states from establishing registries that did not have them prior to 1986.

I don't see how an outright ban like this could survive the courts. I can't think of any prior example where a government (or a people, via ballot measure) could just decide a lawfully owned piece of property was suddenly illegal. I could see a challenge being filed immediately after the law went into effect and an emergency injunction issued by a judge. From that point on, it languishes in the courts for a considerable time. Eventually, it could even work it's way up to SCOTUS. And, if it did, and if SCOTUS ruled states couldn't do this, then that's it for much of the gun control BS.

It's a dangerous direction for them to go, since the courts could ultimately shut them down.

Well the stupid get the government they deserve. Unfortunately as the stupid are a majority anywhere, they get the gov't they deserve and suck the rest under with them.

Human rights aren't up for sale. Buy back or not, we cannot comply with further infringement. The course the anti gun crowd is taking is going to destroy foundational rights that make the US a great place to live.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top