Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

"Assault weapons are easy to convert to full auto"

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by dobanion, Jan 31, 2010.

1. dobanion

dobanion North Portland, Oregon Member

2. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Link doesnt work

3. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

No, it is NOT easy to do. Even with the right trigger parts, todays receivers will only accept single-fire sear assemblies. You would need to dremel out the steel that blocks this and add pin holes to your receiver to accept any sear that fires burst or full auto.

Even AK receivers will need extra drilling to accept FA triggers. Both of which are illegal to do. Without the proper tools and knowledge to do, this is not an easy task...it's not like you can just swap them out. You would basically need a receiver that was already converted to full auto when it was orginally manufactured.

4. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

5. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

I guess it depends upon your definition of "easy".

Anyone with a modicum of gunsmithing skills or machine shop experience at all could do it. It isnt rocket science.

But then again, its pretty "easy" to make a bomb out of a propane tank...or some black powder and pipe.

Theres lots of nasty things in the world that can be made more dangerous if a bad person puts his mind to it.

In any case, I am way more worried about the bad guy with a semi-auto rifle who knows how to use it...than I am about a guy spraying wildly around on full-auto.

6. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

That is the truth...even when I deployed the only time I ever had my rifle on burst was when I was going through houses. Semi-auto is more controllable and accurate than FA. Add some double-tap training and mix in some armor drills and you've got more on your side than some nut with a TEC-9 does.

7. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Anyone with absolutely zero skill can make a full auto AR in about 5 min, the same with an AK.

Definitely easier with the AR. No machining of the receiver etc.

8. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Depends on what you want to do.

You could make a lightning link for FA-only operation. It requires a semi-auto bolt carrier with an un-shrouded firing pin.

The other common way is a drop-in auto-sear, but to do that you need an M16 lower parts kit and bolt carrier. DIAS gets you select fire too. The DIAS itself is not hard to make but you'd have to get ahold of an M16 lower parts kit without the ATF vanning you for "constructive intent" or whatever. M16 bolt carriers are quite common though and not illegal or anything. My AR has one.

They are both pretty easy to make, I can post the designs if you guys want. Information is not illegal...

9. spengo

Of course that said, some of the nicest old wooden guns are incredibly easy to make into "evil machine guns" with only a shoestring.
    shoestringmg.jpg
    Picture is a shoestring that is legally registered with the ATF as a machine gun. The metallic tag there has a serial number... :laugh:

10. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

An AR can be converted in less then 5 minutes with all semi auto parts. Is it safe, or reliable? NO, but it will fire more then one round and stop when you let off the trigger. The AK takes a little more, but not a whole lot.

If you want to convert to a true m-16, it takes a little more time, but is not hard. All of mine took just a couple hours in a machine shop to be done right. But it could be done mostly right with dremils.

11. Razloga

Razloga Oregon Member

Am I the only one who sees no point in full auto's?

Granted, they are fun to play around with. But they don't seem very practical.

If you can't do the job with a single bullet, you shouldn't be holding a gun...

just my opinion..

12. spengo

It's true, machine guns are not really useful except in a squad with a bunch of other dudes with rifles, but it's the principle of the matter you see. The government taking away something fun because it's too "evil."

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong but that sounds even worse than ruger's "no honest man needs more than 10 shots" thing. Sometimes there is more than a single bad guy, sometimes there's one bad guy who's high on meth and it takes more than one bullet. Sometimes zombies and space aliens invade. :paranoid:

...and sometimes even Chris Costa misses. :eek:

13. TonsOfOregonBrass

they server a purpose in war, but no real purpose other then that. They are a ton of fun, and the restrictions should be lessened.

14. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Unless you need suppressive fire, they are pretty much useless.

15. spengo

While we are wishing, I'd also like C4 that can be delivered to my doorstep and a pony. :D

16. TonsOfOregonBrass

I dream the same dream.:)

17. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Ahh . . . now that just not right. What are you going to do to the pony with all that C4? :p

18. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

Never seen the point of full auto until I shot a full auto 10/22. It was pretty fun. But I dont think I would want a full auto in anything else though..

Reason being shooting full auto I would blow $100 worth of ammo in under a minute.. But with it being semi it makes me want to take my time..

19. spengo

Full auto 7.62x54r would be ridiculously fun and still pretty cheap to shoot.

20. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

just leaving the disconnector out will keep the hammer from disconnecting with a pulled trigger, but are you going to get any degree of function and/or reliability from it? without the autosear to time the action, the hammer will just follow the BCG back into battery, maybe or maybe not applying enough pressure on the firing pin to burst the cap. i would think that at best, you'd get 1 to 3 or so slam-fires before malfunction.. but probably just end up with a single-shot rifle.

and, obviously, with an un-shrouded carrier, probably ALL you'd get is a single-shot weapon.