JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Assault rifle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about automatic firearms used by many military organizations. For semi-automatic firearms restricted by some United States laws, see assault weapon.
220px-Sturmgewehr_44.jpg
The StG 44, an early German assault rifle, was adopted by the Wehrmacht in 1944. It fires the 7.92×33mm Kurz round.
220px-AK-47_type_II_Part_DM-ST-89-01131.jpg
Currently the most used assault rifle in the world along with its variant, the AKM, the AK-47 was first adopted in 1949 by the Soviet Army. It fires the 7.62×39mm M43 round.
220px-Sam16a1.jpg
The M16 was first introduced into service in 1964 with the United States Armed Forces. It fires the 5.56×45mm NATO cartridge.

An assault rifle is a selective-fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.[1][2][3][4][5] Assault rifles were first used during World War II.[6][7][8] Though Western nations were slow to accept the assault rifle concept, by the end of the 20th century they had become the standard weapon in most of the world's armies, replacing full-powered rifles and sub-machine guns in most roles.[8] Examples include the StG 44, AK-47 and the M16 rifle.[8]

The term assault rifle is generally attributed to Adolf Hitler, who for propaganda purposes used the German word "Sturmgewehr" (which translates to "storm rifle" or "assault rifle"), as the new name for the MP43, subsequently known as the Sturmgewehr 44 or StG 44.[6][8][9][10][11][12][13][14] However, other sources dispute that Hitler had much to do with coining the new name besides signing the production order.[15] The StG 44 is generally considered the first selective fire military rifle to popularize the assault rifle concept.[6][8] Today, the term assault rifle is used to define firearms sharing the same basic characteristics as the StG 44.[6][8]

Contents
[hide]

Characteristics[edit]
The U.S. Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."[16] In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[2][3][4]

Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles, despite frequently being called such.

For example:

• Select-fire M2 Carbines are not assault rifles; their effective range is only 200 yards.[17]
  • Select-fire rifles such as the FN FAL battle rifle are not assault rifles; they fire full-powered rifle cartridges.
  • Semi-automatic-only rifles like the Colt AR-15 are not assault rifles; they do not have select-fire capabilities.
  • Semi-automatic-only rifles with fixed magazines like the SKS are not assault rifles; they do not have detachable box magazines and are not capable of automatic fire.

Thanks for posting this. Those who claim "there's no such thing" are just as uninformed as those who say semi-autos are assault rifles.

The biggest trouble with the term "Assault Rifle"...is not what it actually means ...
But just what some people think it means or perceive it be...
Perception can mean more than the truth to some people.

At the end of the day...its just a rifle.. no more dangerous than any other.
The only dangerous thing about a "Assault Rifle" is the person who misuses it...
( Just like any firearm that someone misuses... )
Andy

Yes, they should. We need clarity when discussing this issue. It's good to know there is an official US Army definition. That could be helpful in challenging the ballot title of IP-43 if it includes the term assault rifle.

The biggest trouble with the term "Assault Rifle"...is not what it actually means ...

The only dangerous thing about a "Assault Rifle" is the person who misuses it...
Andy

Well sure Andy, the phrase was coined by Bill Klinton, the Democrat party and the media in the early 90's, then in Sept. 13, 1994 BC Signs the AWB... The rest has been a pimple on our *** and may come to a very big head real soon.

I'm going to drop this on you. ALL firearm classification were done by the DOD. Dept Of Defense.
The ONLY firearm to my knowledge of DOD manuals is that a firearm is an assault rifle ONLY if the selector switch goes AUTO-FIRE-SAFE (AK-47). The AR-15, in its original form fired SAFE-FIRE-AUTO (then 3rd burst).
The liberals and networks have subverted the bureaucracy, and gotten all this changed. Now its features NOT mode of operation.

Last edited by a moderator:

( Just like any firearm that someone misuses... )
Andy
It's more along the lines of the narrative of the group who uses it.

Thanks for posting this. Those who claim "there's no such thing" are just as uninformed as those who say semi-autos are assault rifles.

Everybody can stop and thank Billy boy Clinton for the total misunderstanding. He started the phrase and the media took off and ran with it. During Clinton"s import ban. That phrase "assault rifle" Was pounded down our throats for entire for the term of Billy boy. It is called mass psycology. You tell a big enough lie, enough times, to enough people it becomes true.

What really bothers me is the serious misconception about the AR15 in particular. There's this idea that I've heard many times, that the AR15 is something extraordinary, somehow so much more deadly that other weapons.

I've had the same discussion a couple different times with different people (who should know better) and tried to tell them that an AR is just a rifle like any other, that it's actually much less powerful than the average deer rifle, that it's been available for about 60 years and it fires the same size bullet at the same rate of fire as other smaller caliber self-loading hunting and sporting rifles.

The success of the AR platform is primarily due to it's modular design, overall reliability and inherent accuracy; things that are not really relevant to "killing power".

They absolutely don't believe it though. The popular narrative is that the AR is some kind of magic death-ray, and that's what they choose to believe.

What really bothers me is the serious misconception about the AR15 in particular. There's this idea that I've heard many times, that the AR15 is something extraordinary, somehow so much more deadly that other weapons.

I've had the same discussion a couple different times with different people (who should know better) and tried to tell them that an AR is just a rifle like any other, that it's actually much less powerful than the average deer rifle, that it's been available for about 60 years and it fires the same size bullet at the same rate of fire as other smaller caliber self-loading hunting and sporting rifles.

The success of the AR platform is primarily due to it's modular design, overall reliability and inherent accuracy; things that are not really relevant to "killing power".

They absolutely don't believe it though. The popular narrative is that the AR is some kind of magic death-ray, and that's what they choose to believe.
The problem with the AR is that it looks like a M-16. People can't differentiate.

What the ignorant masses need to hear is that the AR in particular has been available for 60 years, and semi-automatics in general have been available for 100 years. Why have we been seeing these horrible mass shooting only in recent years? Is it really the availability of guns that is the problem, or do we have some serious cultural issue in our society?

None of us ever want to see another mass shooting again. I think we all want to "do something" about it, find a way to try to prevent these kinds of heartbreaking tragedies, but we want to actually talk about finding something that can actually do some good, not just some stupid knee-jerk gun control law that demonstrably and statistically will accomplish nothing but punish the law abiding.

I had one guy tell me that you can't hunt with an AR15 because it would "blow a deer apart and there wouldn't be anything left to eat". I told him that it's actually far less powerful than the average hunting rifle and in some states it wasn't legal for hunting because the .223 round isn't considered powerful enough to humanely kill a deer.

He simply ignored the facts because they didn't fit his preconceived ideas. As humans we have the amazing ability to believe whatever we really want to believe, despite the facts.

an assault rifle ONLY if the selector switch goes AUTO-FIRE-SAFE (AK-47).
Safe-Auto-Fire.
2auto74_600w.jpg
By the marking just above the selector is where a notch would be for full auto. The idea was when a soldier takes it off safety it would go all the way down and they would have to deliberately bring it up to full auto. Or something like that.

Not my pic, just a FYI. My AKs don't have the markings there.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews