JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
so a couple of weekends ago I stopped in at the Vancouver mall (just bought a house and was in need of some furniture). I haven't been there in some time and made sure to scan the entrance for any signs prohibiting firearms carry & saw none. Later, while washing my hands in the restroom my shirt rode up a bit and exposed my g29. A security guard passed by and noticed it- I saw his eyes get wide instantly. The kid asked if I had a gun, I said yes, he asked if I had a permit, I said yes, then he proceeded to tell me mall policy prohibits firearms on the premises. He was courteous and professional so I had no issue with him. I did tell him there was no sign stating that policy as is required. He stated many signs were removed during the ongoing construction / renovation. I then asked to see the senior person on duty and was taken to another guard wearing captains bars. We had a cordial discussion about how much he supports CC, firearms, etc and apologized for the lack of sign. I asked him to notify his management, and left without further issue. I will follow up with a message to mall management- as far as I could tell, I was among very few paying customers at the time. The rest appeared to be mostly kids with skateboards, a few old geezers sitting around watching the teenage girls in short skirts ride up & down the escalators, and various other window shoppers. Perhaps this is their target demographic rather than clean cut working folks who have the evil intention of spending money in their shops. Might have to copy the management of the shops on that message as well. Ah well....

A business that prohibits concealed carry is saying that the lives of its customers are not worth saving. I don't patronize businesses that think my life is worthless.

I can pretty much guarantee that any mall owned by a property management company or by a company that all they do is own malls (Which its pretty much all of them) are going to restrict carry...they don't give a rats bubblegum about your safety. They have the bare minimum amount of security that will prevent them from getting sued when you get mugged.. They would prefer not to have security at all, it costs them alot of money...

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

You could simply continue to carry when going there, however you run the risk of being "trespassed" since they've spoken to you about the matter. It's sad really but this is the world we live in. I think you handled the situation really well and it reflects well on all of us that CC.

Technically they are not restricting your carrying they are restricting firearms from the premises. There is a difference.

Since they will end up being held responsable for anyone shot while in the Mall. (read sued) it is in there best interests to try to keep all firearms out of the Mall. The first step is to post a sign.

Now granted a BAD person will ignore the sign but a person respectful of other property will. And while the chances of a CC being used while in the Mall are tiny it is how ever one small way to help reduce the chance of someone (including a bad guy or the 12 year old standing behind the bad guy 3 stores away) from being shot.

Least that is what their laywers have told them.

I haven't seen any "no carry" signs at the mall in years and I've been in most entrances. Go in through Sears, no signs there. The last time I went in through the entrance by Outback there were no signs there, and that was before construction started.

Technically they are not restricting your carrying they are restricting firearms from the premises. There is a difference.

Since they will end up being held responsable for anyone shot while in the Mall. (read sued) it is in there best interests to try to keep all firearms out of the Mall. The first step is to post a sign.

Now granted a BAD person will ignore the sign but a person respectful of other property will. And while the chances of a CC being used while in the Mall are tiny it is how ever one small way to help reduce the chance of someone (including a bad guy or the 12 year old standing behind the bad guy 3 stores away) from being shot.

Least that is what their laywers have told them.

Mark w can you please comment on this. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but restricting you carrying And restricting Firearms on the premises is the same?

Glad that you were polite and approachable, last thing we need is some jerk who thinks they are in the right, making people with guns look like a bunch of lawless hillbillys

A business that prohibits concealed carry is saying that the lives of its customers are not worth saving. I don't patronize businesses that think my life is worthless.

Then where do you shop? MONEY is what business cares about,your life isn't at the top of ANY business' concern.

And Mark W,lawyers,insurance companies same thing,but the insurance policies probably get big breaks for restricting firearms

The problem here is that the consumer if not the property management customers... The tenants are..... Again... they don't care about you... They care about their rent check...

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Then where do you shop? MONEY is what business cares about,your life isn't at the top of ANY business' concern.

To answer your question, I haven't set foot in the Vancouver Mall for at least a year and can't think of a single item I've bought in that time that is only available in a mall store. I've gotten by just fine avoiding businesses that post "no firearms" signs--maybe because there are so few of them.

Mark W I blieve is correct.
They are going to impose rules they believe will limit their liability - I am sure some lawyer made it up in boiler plate. Oddly enough some malls can have a government function in them ( Visible or not) that makes it illegal - I am sure the lawyers tried to cover all bases
So the only issue is proper notification. It soundslike they were at least reasonable in approaching you.
I would have assumed they had that restriction in place - just because their lawyers / insurance are going to demand it.
Liability insurance is expensive

FYI - I have been to a ( Any) big mall 2 times in the last 10 years ( Did not buy anythign) - so I do not contribute to the mall owners. OF course I have other options for buying which may not be true for some regions.

The problem here is that the consumer if not the property management customers... The tenants are..... Again... they don't care about you... They care about their rent check...

I respect your point of view, but you seem to be bashing the property management here when you, nor I, have any idea who instituted this policy. I disagree with the policy, of course! Was it the store reps that came together, was it the mall owners or their investors/shareholders, board, etc? Vancouver Mall (now known as Wesfield) is owned by the worlds larges multinational, publicly traded group in the world! They are headquartered in Australia, and asset holdings top $41 Billion in several countries including the UK (not so gun friendly).

I don't take issue with your position, but I do take issue with your continued use of 'Property Management' in a negative tones in this thread. I am the office manager for a highly regarded professional property management company with units in two states - we don't touch commercial properties. We not only support CC, but many of us carry ourselves, even while working. We have an ex-marine sniper as our maintenance coordinator for heaven sakes! :) Property Managers get a bad rap simply for being the middle man when they simply enact policies and procedures according to the owners of the property, that's all I'm saying.

And for the record, I appreciate Artilleryman bringing this to our attention, and will take my business elsewhere.

Nice thing about WA is that even with signs you can carry if you want to. The only thing they can do is ask you to leave. Of course if you dont leave things get worse from there.

I to do not support places that dont support us.

Oddly enough some malls can have a government function in them ( Visible or not) that makes it illegal - I am sure the lawyers tried to cover all bases
As long as you stay out of the restricted area you're OK, they can't make the entire mall off limits just because a federal office is there at least not in WA. Maybe in OR?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top