JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday very late in the day on the 4th, I was at a fireworks stand looking to pickup a couple more mortar tubes for the evenings festivities.

I did have a 6" stainless gp100 on my hip in an open carry holster - I figure what better day to open carry around my front yard. That and the red holster and redwood on the grips really complimented my blue jeans and white tee shirt :p.

I did look on the tent for a sign prohibiting firearms and saw none.

I did hear a couple loud whispers when the two kids (16-19) handing out baskets at the door after I walked in - I assume they saw my sidearm at that point.

I wasn't in the place 3 minutes before I had a gentleman about 40 approach me and say, "Hi, there". I said howdy and he went into a could I please ask you to leave, we are not allowed to have someone with a firearm in a fireworks tent speech.

My first response was there was not an RCW about that and he responded with," well you can't carry in a bar and you don't see signs forbidding it there either". I told him a friend of mine owned two bars locally and does in fact post the RCW on his sign prohibiting firearms in the bar areas.

At all times the conversation was civil and I didn't want to cause a scene just to buy $12 in fireworks so I gave what I had to my daughter to pay for and left thru the front door.

Now during all of this there was a point (and he was very apologetic about having to ask me to leave) that he mentioned last year they had a guy walk in with an AR slung over his shoulder, a gopro on his hat and seemed to be slightly intoxicated and looking for an altercation. I can certainly understand why that would sour someone on open carrying anything I guess.

In the end, I politely left (I wasn't there to make a point or cause a ruckus. I figured if it's my right to carry, it's his to ask me to leave his (rented) property.

Could I have fought about it to make a point? Sure! Should I have? At the time I didn't think so.

A question for y'all is; is it his right to ask me to leave? And is there actually any illegality about possession within a fireworks tent? (For next year and just to satisfy my curiosity).

P.S. After I left, my daughter told me that I had sparked a great debate between the employees about the fact that it was not illegal and that there was only a few hours left and why bother making a sign at that point lol.

Cheers, and hopefully you had a safe and great Independence Day.

>Could I have fought about it to make a point?

Some who believe that open carry does more harm than good might want to ask exactly what point you were hoping to make?

-thirtycal

I was trying to say I could have been one of those douchebags that open carries just to provoke a response or debate but that I wasn't and was only carrying openly because it's a big revolver and is a pain to conceal.

I also happen to believe that if you don't exercise your right to open carry in a state where it is legal, then why have it legal at all if people only just freak out. Use it or loose it etc.

Honestly, I think I may have given the guy a more positive outlook about open carry as I wasn't a dick about leaving.

That's just my opinion and I understand a lot of people may disagree.

I regularly conceal carry, but have no issue with people open carrying sidearms - I think long guns should always stay in the truck.

That sounds very reasonable, and I agree with everything you said. But you know there likely were political fence-sitter mommies walking around in that fireworks tent who saw you and silently thought to themselves "Wow there oughta be a law against that...". And guess how that mommy is gonna vote when she sees anything with the words "responsible gun ownership" on the ballet this November in Clark County, which certainly there will be with 591 vs 594?

So even though I agree 100% with your reasoning, there's nothing you can do to more effectively translate a fence-sitter mommy (who doesn't give a moment's thought about guns) into a voter that checks 'yes' when she sees that 594 ballot measure..... because it will remind her of the silent discomfort she felt when saw the guy in the white t-shirt and jeans with the redwood grips sticking out of a holster while she was trying to buy fireworks for her kids.

-Thirtycal

IMHO the first thing you should have said after the man asking you to leave was "Yes Sir" then you could have said "would it be ok if my daughter purchases theses items I have selected"? and based on what he said you would have handed the items to your daughter not said another word and left the tent.

That would have made the best possible impression on the people in the tent. Any form of argument would only cause the people in the tent to be defensive and end up against your point of view. Simple as that.

The new open carry movement has done more harm to the gun owners of America then any new law I have seen.

To say there was an argument would be grossly overstating what happened.

As I said the conversation was totally civilized and cordial.

I did double check that it would be ok for my (adult) daughter to make the purchase and then left without incident.

Maybe I should have stated at the beginning of this thread if it wasn't there already, that I was not there to make a statement or cause a scene.

I do open carry occasionally and especially on holidays where for some reason, rational people consume way too much alcohol and then do things they might not normally (like start a fight with a guy my size just to try and prove a point - I'm 6'1" and 275 if you haven't met me).

No, I have never pulled a gun for defense - I've been trained from a young age in multiple martial arts an would and do use that (but first my commonsense to diffuse a situation). I just find that a sidearm, tastefully carried is a great deterrent for anyone even thinking about starting something with me.

I guess my original thought when this happened was - someone with a gun was grossly inappropriate last year and caused the people working the stand to be Leary of open carry weapons. In essence ruining it for myself and anyone else who uses open carry legitimately.

However, just because a bunch of yahoos are tryin to make headlines by bringing long guns into a coffee shop doesn't mean I should stop open carrying completely; at least that's my thoughts on it.

If there are 10-100 people carrying openly, reasonably - then we would far outweigh the headline chasers.

I'm part Texan and part Californian so maybe I just see things a bit differently sometimes.

Yes - it is any private property owner's right to ask you to leave if they have a problem with your behavior, including open carry.

I don't know if there is an RCW prohibiting firearms in a fireworks retail establishment. Never heard of such a thing - doesn't mean there isn't a law somewhere in the RCW.

Sadly I do support a business owners right to refuse service for any reason, its their business.

However, I.. At the same time hate that fact only because we constantly have PC acceptance and tolerance shoved down our throats and forced into our business yet firearm owners OCers don't get that same protected privilege? Thats the part I want the media and politicians to open their eyes and see.

Equal rights for ALL not just some.

If a bakery (now) cant turn down making a cake for a gay couples wedding, in turn NO business should be able to turn a person away for OCing. Its their own logic turned against them. Them being progressives.

Its called "A defensive lifestyle" and should be given every bit as much credibility, tolerance and understanding as any other "group" out there.

Sorry that happened to you brother.
If I was there I would have put my stuff away and told them the reason they just lost my business and a few other words to boot.

This is why I only CC. If I was asked to leave because the handle of my pistol had peeked out from concealment I would have taken my money elsewhere. I thought it was illegal to sell fireworks to a child under 16 or 18.

The fireworks seller obviously has seen too many Micheal Bay movies "OMG, if that gun goes off my whole stand will blow up in a huge fireball!"

My daughter is old enough to legally purchase fireworks in Clark county.

And yea I should have just gone to look for another place to buy. If it was more then the $12 I planned to spend or I had more time I would have.

As it happened, my daughter got to stay and listen to the owner tell the employee that he had acted out of line and should not have asked me to leave. She also got to see me handle being asked to leave like a reasonable person and responsible adult.

She has been taught to stand up for herself all of her life, she didn't need me to show her how to stand up for her rights at that point and time.

question for y'all is; is it his right to ask me to leave?[/quote ]

Where was this stand located? If on their own private property, sure it was his right. If it was set up on someone elses property (ie, the parking lot of a Wal Mart) probably not

Last Edited:
I guess my original thought when this happened was - someone with a gun was grossly inappropriate last year and caused the people working the stand to be Leary of open carry weapons. In essence ruining it for myself and anyone else who uses open carry legitimately.

Not sure where you were at and do not need any names;) But a friend of mine who used to sell every year for one of the local chains had a gun pulled on him from a pissed off customer. After that he decided it was not worth dealing with it and now does not sell anymore. And yes I think the guy was even drinking when he came in with the gun:rolleyes: police were called and everything ended up ok for my friend.

If it was the same chain they might have just not wanted to deal with it and just asked you to leave.

Seems it only takes one bad egg to screw it up for everyone else - like everything else in life, I guess that's just the way it goes.

I will keep conceal carrying on a daily, but will also open carry when I feel I can get away with it without adding to the negative stereotype.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top