JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been a fair bit busier than I intended when I first joined the site and have been wanting to interact more and had this idea pop up. Whenever people find out what I do for a living they usually are filled with 100 questions and get a kick hearing about some of the inner workings of the industry or firearms in general.

Ask away!

Any million dollar club sales?

Kind of like realtors that get to join the million dollar home sales.

In other words, what's the craziest most expensive gun you have sold?

Anyone ever bring in a cut up illegal gun to transfer or sell? Or anything like that? What happened?

Any million dollar club sales?

Kind of like realtors that get to join the million dollar home sales.

In other words, what's the craziest most expensive gun you have sold?

Not "clubs" Per se but when you buy that $ amount from a MFG or distributor it gets you invited to their parties and events. Daniel Defense throws a hell of a party at shot show every year that's pretty exclusive for attendance, all I'll say is the guys at DD know how to party! Most of the events have an open bar with all top shelf stuff so things get pretty interesting pretty fast.

IIRC the most expensive guns I've sold are some of the more expensive Barett's decked out with silencers and optics. We deal mainly in newer stuff so we haven't dealt with anything collectable over 30k or so. We are in the process of selling a HK PSG1 that should be noteworthy.

Biggest regret in selling and in not buying?

Unfortunately I fall in love with firearms a little too easy so I've got lots of regret stories. I tell myself at least a couple times a week it's my job to SELL guns not keep them. I have a rule that we (me and employees) can't buy firearms until customer demand is met, I'm here to make customers happy not buy all the cool neat stuff to make myself happy. My dad and I waited forever for SIG P365's and currently I'm waiting for the CP33 demand to slow down but that will probably take a few years.
The one that hurt the most selling was a NIB UNFIRED Colt 1908 in 380 ACP. I've got the 1903 in 32 ACP and love it but have always wanted it in a more effective caliber, that one will sting forever. I'll probably get one at some point as a shooter but i'd sure have loved to keep the NIB one.

Anyone ever bring in a cut up illegal gun to transfer or sell? Or anything like that? What happened?

Rarely do people bring in an obviously illegal gun to transfer or sell, maybe once every few months or so but we have people bring in something illegal a few times a week. 99% of the time its all innocent and just people not knowing any better. Last one was an older lady a few days ago who was going through her recently deceased husbands guns and had a few questions. All we usually do is just inform them that the firearm or modifications are illegal and explain it to them, most people appreciate the info and usually make a comment that they'll just take it home and hide it or destroy it.

The only time I've had to get the ATF involved was when someone brought in an AR they made Full Auto. When we informed them it was illegal and what the consequences were if they're caught with it they set it on the counter and walked out of the store o_O

I had no choice but to inform the Police what happened, I didn't want anything to do with the thing

What did ya do before and has the career change been everything you hoped for?

Also have you experienced any debanking or insurance prejudice or rate hikes with the current political descrimination tactics of the antis?

Do you make your own ammo and sell it?

If someone were to come to you with a "special request" (an "experimental" load), what do you usually do?

Craziest declined story? If you have a good one?

There's honestly been quite a few that have gone weird over the years, most of them end up with people pissed off at us or leaving us bad reviews after they get arrested or fined. One guy was really upset with me personally because I was subpoenaed to testify against him because he was a violent felon trying to buy a gun. I guess he was upset that I wasn't willing to lie in court to try and cover for him or help him out.

This is the one that sticks out the most in my mind:
3 or 4 years ago we had a customer who had bought a couple firearms from us get delayed trying to buy another, we just thought it was an OSP mistake and gave him the challenge line number and told him to give them a call. This was about a week before Christmas and the firearm was an AR15. About and hour after he left 2 FBI agents showed up to ask us questions about what happened and asked us to call them ASAP if he showed up again. It was implied that he was on a watch list and would be arrested soon. They didn't say exactly what he did but mentioned that some people like to make threats online and at this time of year there are a lot of large gatherings of people.

The next day OSP APPROVES him on his background check and the customer calls us to let us know he will be in the next day to pick the gun up. I call the FBI agents and relay that info to them, the agent asks us not to transfer the gun and to give him a few hours. He also asks us for the OSP firearm unit's phone number so he can call them personally. About 30 minutes later OSP calls us in a panic asking if we transferred the firearm and changing his status to a denial, when I asked him what I'm supposed to tell the customer he said not to worry about the customer. About 20 minutes after that an OSP trooper pulls into the parking lot and sits in his car for about 2 hours but doesn't come in.

The next day the FBI Agent comes back in to thank me for the help. I then called one of our local ATF contacts to ask how I should document the status on his form since we got a delay, approval and denial all on the same background check and was told he would call me back once he figured out what was going on. When he finally called me back all he said was he couldn't talk about the matter and to just mark all 3 on the form and not worry about it, they will make a note on their end.

I've been a fair bit busier than I intended when I first joined the site and have been wanting to interact more and had this idea pop up. Whenever people find out what I do for a living they usually are filled with 100 questions and get a kick hearing about some of the inner workings of the industry or firearms in general.

Ask away!

Do you like movies with gladiators?

Funniest story involving people coming into your store. Also most cringe worthy GO!

Funniest story I'll have to think about today and get back to you.

Most cringe worthy would probably be when a customer brought in an AR15 that he needed help to fix after he tried everything he could think of. A Tula 223 case had expanded weird after being fired and had become stuck in the chamber. He tried to pound it out by sticking a copper cleaning rod into the barrel and hammering on it, somehow the rod snapped and became lodged in the barrel, he then managed to do the same thing a second time getting 2 pieces of copper rod stuck. He then tried to remove the gas block by drilling the gas block set screws out because he couldn't loosen them with an allen wrench. He drilled all the way through the bottom of the barrel and into the bore, only to stop when he hit the copper rods. Because of the angle and way he drilled, it basically staked or locked the gas block into the barrel. I thought about it but couldn't think of a way to undo what he did and salvage the only remaining non damaged part (stripped AR15 upper receiver) without cutting most of the barrel off. He rejected my idea because he was still planning on using the barrel and didn't want to destroy it o_O

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top