JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How do you separate the purchaser from the tire kicker?

For the most part we don't, we just try and treat everyone as if they are a purchaser and help them to the best of our ability. Today's looker is usually a future buyer. I've had people who didn't seem like they we're interested in buying anything and seemed completely disinterested one second then say they will take it the next second. Also its a pretty regular occurrence where someone walks in the door with no intention of buying anything finds something they cant live without and has to have.

There's really only one instance of a "problem" with someone just kicking tires or looking around. We have one gentleman that comes in 1-2 times a week for anywhere from 2-4 HOURS at a time and has been doing it for years and has never bought anything from us. He very rarely is here to "shop" or browse our inventory and less than half the time he's here he talks about gun stuff, usually he just want's to chat with my sales guys. This usually isn't an issue with but the with the frequency and length of time that he's here it prevent's us from helping other customers and doing other back end work. He will follow my employees around while they are trying to help other customers and just try and chat / interrupt their conversations with customers. If he just looked around quietly and let us help other people it wouldn't be an issue. He's getting very close to the point where I have to ask him not to come back or to stop coming in. I'm really dreading having to do it and that's why I haven't yet but at some point I have to draw the line and make the decision to continue to entertain him or help all of our other customers that come in.

I've noticed that transferable full auto firearms prices have started to decline. Any thoughts on why, other then Trump being elected.

I'm not too up to date on the transferable full auto market as a whole, usually I'm just researching out a single item. I'd guess the trump slump wouldn't have much of an impact of the full auto market since their value comes from there being a limited amount of them and the collectors value. What has more of an Impact I could guess is the increase in wait times over the last couple years or there's just simply less people willing to pay a premium of Full auto guns.

If I'm there I just choke them a bit until they agree to buy something. Matt rolls his eyes and Tony just smiles like he's done the same many times before.

Not really. :D

I laughed so loud reading then picturing the scenario in my head that everyone in the store went dead quiet and came into the office to stare at me.

Has the Oregon govenor or Calif.mentioned anything about air rifle silencers being an item to ban.
Any interest in air rifle control from "them" for what ever the un-reasonable.

Dealing with vendors or manufacturers was always fun. What's your best story involving a vendor or manufacturer?

Besides the guy who mangled up the AR15 you mentioned earlier, any other bonkers customer mess ups worth sharing?

Ever have a customer come in and just drop 10-20 thousand all at once?

Sorry for the delay in responses, had surgery on my elbow Monday and have't felt like typing with one hand till today.

Probably once a month or so we have someone walk in and drop 10K+ in one transaction, usually on a Barrett. Sometimes on a bunch of guns, the most common reasons are a retirement gift to themselves or they inherited some money.

A few years ago Sig had a "Tac Pac" 1911 with a rail, part of the package was that the gun came with a hard plastic holster, the setup in the case had the gun and holster separate with their own cutouts in the foam. when the gun came in I immediately tried out the gun and holster, to my surprise the gun didn't fit in the holster. After messing with it for a bit I realized the holster was meant for a 1911 without a rail and didn't have enough clearance to fit with the rail. I figured no biggie, Sig must have shipped it with the wrong holster so I called and had them send me another holster. When the second holster came in and had the same problem I called Sig again they figured they shipped me the wrong holster and sent me a third. Third holster has the same problem and it took me 20 minutes to convince the customer service manager that sending me a 4th holster wont fix this.

He finally agrees to look deeper into the matter and call me back. Long story short they sent someone down to the factory floor to try the holster and gun and found out none of them fit. Turns out the buyer ordered the wrong holsters and tried to cover up the mistake and when he found out he just changed the packaging so the gun wouldn't ship in the holster. NO ONE else at Sig had bothered to check to see if the holster would fit or even thought to try it out. Sig ended up canceling the Tac Pac model over the ordeal.

Honestly the other stories involving customer mess ups are pretty tame compared to the last one as far as damaging something, nothing too noteworthy.

We did once have a gentleman come in asking if we were gunsmiths, when we told him no he asked if we knew anything about fixing a S&W bodyguard, we again told him no and recommended he ship it back to S&W for a free repair or take it to Rich's gunshop to repair. According to him Rich's was too far of a drive and S&W would take too long. All of the sudden he draws his gun from concealment and racks a round into the chamber while saying "let me just show you the problem I'm having". I immediately tell him that's not safe at all and start explaining to him how dangerous that action is. Keep in mind the whole time the gun is pointed AT me. I tell him he needs to go outside, point the gun down into the grass we have out front and unload his gun and then bring it back unloaded if he wants to show me whats going on even though I don't know how to fix it and probably wont be able to help him with it. He then walks about 5 feet and opens the door to the store and proceeds to try and manipulate the gun with it pointing out the door towards the road.

Picture this, the guy is standing in the doorway his body inside the store with his arms outside the door manipulating a loaded gun. I ran after him and stopped what he was doing and walked him over to the grass to unload the gun. After we unload the gun we walk back inside and I ask him to explain the issue. Turns out it sounded like there was an issue with the firing pin and the gun only actually fired 1/10 times you pull the trigger on a loaded round. He was planning on pointing a loaded gun at me and pulling the trigger when there was a 1/10 chance it would go off just to show me the problem he was having after I told him I wouldn't be able to fix it. I began to explain to him what a dangerous idea that was and he could very well have shot me or someone else, I also started to tell him how concealed carrying a gun that was broken is pointless. In the middle of the lecture he then blurts out "cant I just show you the issue" and starts trying to load his gun. I grabbed the magazine out of his hand and told him he wont be loading a gun in my store period. I don't care what the issue is. He then grabs his mag and says "what kind of Gunshop is this? you guys are a joke" and storms out the door.

CZ USA

looks like they run $709.99

Ah. Thanks.

I immediately tell him that's not safe at all and start explaining to him how dangerous that action is. Keep in mind the whole time the gun is pointed AT me. I tell him he needs to go outside, point the gun down into the grass we have out front and unload his gun and then bring it back unloaded if he wants to show me whats going on even though

You sir have the patience of a saint

Sorry for the delay in responses, had surgery on my elbow Monday and have't felt like typing with one hand till today.

Probably once a month or so we have someone walk in and drop 10K+ in one transaction, usually on a Barrett. Sometimes on a bunch of guns, the most common reasons are a retirement gift to themselves or they inherited some money.

A few years ago Sig had a "Tac Pac" 1911 with a rail, part of the package was that the gun came with a hard plastic holster, the setup in the case had the gun and holster separate with their own cutouts in the foam. when the gun came in I immediately tried out the gun and holster, to my surprise the gun didn't fit in the holster. After messing with it for a bit I realized the holster was meant for a 1911 without a rail and didn't have enough clearance to fit with the rail. I figured no biggie, Sig must have shipped it with the wrong holster so I called and had them send me another holster. When the second holster came in and had the same problem I called Sig again they figured they shipped me the wrong holster and sent me a third. Third holster has the same problem and it took me 20 minutes to convince the customer service manager that sending me a 4th holster wont fix this.

He finally agrees to look deeper into the matter and call me back. Long story short they sent someone down to the factory floor to try the holster and gun and found out none of them fit. Turns out the buyer ordered the wrong holsters and tried to cover up the mistake and when he found out he just changed the packaging so the gun wouldn't ship in the holster. NO ONE else at Sig had bothered to check to see if the holster would fit or even thought to try it out. Sig ended up canceling the Tac Pac model over the ordeal.

Honestly the other stories involving customer mess ups are pretty tame compared to the last one as far as damaging something, nothing too noteworthy.

We did once have a gentleman come in asking if we were gunsmiths, when we told him no he asked if we knew anything about fixing a S&W bodyguard, we again told him no and recommended he ship it back to S&W for a free repair or take it to Rich's gunshop to repair. According to him Rich's was too far of a drive and S&W would take too long. All of the sudden he draws his gun from concealment and racks a round into the chamber while saying "let me just show you the problem I'm having". I immediately tell him that's not safe at all and start explaining to him how dangerous that action is. Keep in mind the whole time the gun is pointed AT me. I tell him he needs to go outside, point the gun down into the grass we have out front and unload his gun and then bring it back unloaded if he wants to show me whats going on even though I don't know how to fix it and probably wont be able to help him with it. He then walks about 5 feet and opens the door to the store and proceeds to try and manipulate the gun with it pointing out the door towards the road.

Picture this, the guy is standing in the doorway his body inside the store with his arms outside the door manipulating a loaded gun. I ran after him and stopped what he was doing and walked him over to the grass to unload the gun. After we unload the gun we walk back inside and I ask him to explain the issue. Turns out it sounded like there was an issue with the firing pin and the gun only actually fired 1/10 times you pull the trigger on a loaded round. He was planning on pointing a loaded gun at me and pulling the trigger when there was a 1/10 chance it would go off just to show me the problem he was having after I told him I wouldn't be able to fix it. I began to explain to him what a dangerous idea that was and he could very well have shot me or someone else, I also started to tell him how concealed carrying a gun that was broken is pointless. In the middle of the lecture he then blurts out "cant I just show you the issue" and starts trying to load his gun. I grabbed the magazine out of his hand and told him he wont be loading a gun in my store period. I don't care what the issue is. He then grabs his mag and says "what kind of Gunshop is this? you guys are a joke" and storms out the door.

Thanks for the share.

I never liked being behind the counter when people decide to use you as the "practice" aiming point. Makes me seriously question their thinking. It wasn't my store, so I often got in trouble with management when telling customers to not point guns at people.

Amazing story nonetheless. I think it beats the dingus with the messed up AR15. This one was a real mess. Glad no one seriously got hurt. I'd have been much much less polite to an idiot of such nature.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top