JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I couldn't stop laughing! I'm not sure who is funnier, the "Dumbfounded Father" (at least he signed his name correctly!) or the uninformed, totally clueless Amy! Remember, "a door is no match for this weaponry!" And from that we have a new term for guns! WEAPONRY! And that weaponry fires "exploding ammunition!" But wait! We have no training required for owning these! Sheesh! I knew Oregon was behind on new laws!

Example:

Obviously, hollow points don't explode and separation is a failure in fact -- they expand (even RIPs don't really explode so much as break apart).

What about the 11 states part? I can't find great info on that -- this 2010 NSSF publication lists one state (NY) plus San Francisco as banning hollow points: https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silencerco/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Ammunition-Laws-By-State.pdf Some people mention NJ but it seems more that you can't use it except for target practice -- I don't know -- there may be more since 2010 but I'm skeptical of the 11 figure. Anyway, she might be confused by explosive projectiles which are banned (at least in the reference above) in Juenea, CA, FL, IL, NY, and TN, but that still doesn't come up to 11 states:

She's probably thinking of those exploding .40 cal tracer bullets!

AA82EA8F-D34C-4317-8601-B36F37F99F14.jpeg

This would be like responding to a BOT in a chat room.
Like this one probably most of the 'letters' to Amy are fake so her 'answers' are essentially little more than extension of the original subject but supporting and agreeing with it.
Oregonlive needs an "Ask Cigars" column. Bring it. :cool:

I am sticking with the 'fake' crowd on this.
Amy's mail has probably been a little slow so someone in the office suggest this and fabricated the 'letter' and now this 'Amy' is getting more recognition than she ever has. Heck I was blissfully ignorant of her until this thread!

I am sticking with the 'fake' crowd on this.
Amy's mail has probably been a little slow so someone in the office suggest this and fabricated the 'letter' and now this 'Amy' is getting more recognition than she ever has. Heck I was blissfully ignorant of her until this thread!
Correct, it's fairly easy to obtain a lot of publicity riding a wave of internet outrage. The question is, to avoid helping the anti-2A side, when to counter anti-gun propaganda, and when to remain silent.

Last Edited:
I have to say, I found the twitter thread both amusing and disturbing. Amusing for the obvious calling her out on her lies, disturbing because there has been no retraction. Her advice was premised on falsehoods (11 states, exploding hollow points, especially bad .40 cal), presumptions (daughter obtained gun illegally, has no training), and potentially illegal advice (depending on the state and how it treats transfers between family members; giving dad the gun may be illegal, dad may be a prohibited person -- he certainly is off his rocker).

If you have a twitter account, weigh in: Amy Dickinson on Twitter

It's too full of fake BS for me to even take it seriously. Money says she wrote the letter from "dad" herself. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top