JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Perusing the inventory at a local gun store a Century Arms Draco caught my eye. "That would make an excellent SBR," I thought to myself. A few YouTube videos later when I got home and the seed was planted.

Over the holidays I purchased a Draco HG1916-N from Atlantic Firearms. Before I metaphorically pulled the trigger on the purchase, I contacted them and asked if they had any QA service I could take advantage of in order to avoid getting something with a crooked gas block or front sight post to which they replied that they didn't, so it really was a roll of the dice as to the fit of my future pistol. I went ahead with the gamble and in a short time later I was the proud owner of a very straight and perfectly aligned new Draco pistol, a very fine specimen if I do say so myself.

Draco.jpg

After some deliberation on how I wanted to attach the stock to my rear trunnion once I receive my stamp, I settled on replacing the rear trunnion with a fixed stock one. I contacted a local smith who gave me a quote of approximately $400 for the work including a cerakote refinish since there would be welding and machining involved. Since I have some time while I wait for my ATF approval I'll get some additional quotes. If anyone can recommend someone it would be greatly appreciated.

In regards to the process for applying for my stamp, here is a brief outline of the steps I took:
  1. I decided to go the trust route and had my trust done by these guys on Christmas day: The Trust Shop
    I had my Oregon-specific gun trust shortly after completing the online process.
  2. I then went to my local UPS store and had all of the required paperwork notarized and witnessed. I had to do some editing of the PDFs for this.
  3. I went to my local sheriff's office and had the fingerprinting done.
  4. I did my Form 1 online at eforms.atf.gov and paid my $200 there as well. There is an excellent YouTube video I followed that walks you through the entire process here:
    Guide to Form 1 on EForms (post 41-F)
  5. I sent my cover letter from the ATF along with my set of fingerprints via UPS. There is a 10 day window you have to get those to them.
  6. I will send my copy of the Form 1 along with my responsible persons paperwork to my sheriff's office as soon as I learn of the approval by the ATF
More updates to come as soon as I have them. :s0151:

Last Edited:
Fun fun fun.

I almost SBRd my only AK. Ended selling instead.

I'll look forward to the results.

I drilled into my trunuin to add a brace, it was not difficult. However I completely understand wanting to have the truniun replaced.

Definitely gonna be watching this thread! Let us know about the build quality and reliability of the century arms herd mixed reviews and love to get first hand! I jelous!

Just for posterity's sake, I efiled 1/03/2020 and my prints arrived 1/09/2020. I'm afraid it's now in the hunker down for the long wait phase.

As soon as I have any updates I'll post again.

Since my rear trunion on my Draco SBR is an underfolder.. I may one day weld up my tapped stock holes, sell off my Manticore stock and go the underfolder route since folder kits are cheap right now.

UPDATE: I eFiled 1/3/2020 and received my approval and tax stamp electronically on 2/4/2020. Actually, there was a delay of a few days as the examiner was unable to open one of my PDF documents and requested that I update the form with a new one. Overall the process was relatively painless and a slam dunk. For those of you reading this in the future, eFiling is the only way to go since if you go the paper route you're looking at a very long wait. You can check average wait times for the various filing methods here: NFA Transfer Time Tracking NFA Reviews Form 1 Form 4 Tracking

I went ahead and ordered a Romanian wire side folder and I'm planning to have Revelation Arms in Aloha, OR install a fixed Romanian trunnion. I met with Roger today at his shop and he assessed the level of effort and gave me an approximate quote of $400. This includes welding in the trunnion, welding up current rivet holes, drilling the new rivet holes, and a complete cerakote refinish of all metal parts.

I'm ordering my Romanian rear trunnion off of Apex Gun Parts today. Romanian AKM Rear Trunnion, Blued, 7.62x39, *NEW*

As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Well, the project is complete and I'm posting some final pictures.

I'd like to give a shoutout @Velzey who did an amazing job with my project. After speaking with some members I decided to commission Tim at Copeland Custom Gunworks to do the work, and I'm so fortunate to have done so. He's professional, friendly, and does top tier work at an extremely reasonable price. I can't recommend him enough.

32eb14de-4440-425a-bcfe-41beaf55bda2.jpg

03dabcba-940a-40e4-83f0-e44746d66d48.jpg

20200712_112230.jpg

A final picture. Took it out and zeroed in the Aimpoint this morning. I have an ALG AKT trigger on the way and this project is complete. I LOVE this rifle!

That's really nice!. How do you like your PWS FSC47. Mine really tamed my Draco. Did you have any fitment issues with the ALG akt trigger? I've heard conflicting reports about issues arising with the stock Draco trunnions support bar. I know you said you had the trunnion replaced so that may not be an issue

That's really nice!. How do you like your PWS FSC47. Mine really tamed my Draco. Did you have any fitment issues with the ALG akt trigger? I've heard conflicting reports about issues arising with the stock Draco trunnions support bar. I know you said you had the trunnion replaced so that may not be an issue

Yes, I had this Romanian trunnion installed by @Velzey with a Romanian wire folder stock and I absolutely love this setup. When you fold it up it's super compact and deploys quickly at the push of a button. Basically, it's a Draco converted into a PM md90.

I did have to install the safety shim for the ALG trigger on my Draco and file it down to fit with a metal file, but it wasn't too bad, and yeah, the FSC47 definitely tames the muzzle flip and keeps the muzzle level.

This is by far my favorite rifle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads