Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

As a member of a gun club, am I liable?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Phillyfan, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hey guys. I was telling a friend of mine that I am interested in joining a gun club. He told me to be careful about that because he had read that one club was being sued because of the lead content in the soil on the property and that all of the members were being held liable. If that is the case, how do I know which club is safe from this, or should I even join?

2. AWS44

AWS44 N.P. Or. Member

I think i know which club your friend is talking about and if it is i am not so sure about that. I would think that is what insurance is for? But the guy that is trying to sue is a real *** ****! I will ask the president tonight about that and post it here.

3. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yeah, I didn't want to mention the name of the club, since I don't know if it is true or not. It is actually the one that I would like to join, if a membership slot comes available.

4. enjr4

enjr4 Renton, WA Active Member

In the state of WA, being a member of an association does not protect you from individual liability for the actions of the association. You can buy an umbrella insurance policy to protect yourself.:(

5. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

I knew of a gun club, back in the '70s, which sold the lead in their range to a company which came in and mined the range for a short time. They made enough money to build a club house on the property. Sounds like a reasonable solution to me.

6. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

That's a great idea if a range is structured in a way that would easily facilitate salvaging the lead:thumbup:

7. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

This is Douglas Ridge Rifle Club where I belong. There is a member that was a total jerk that got kicked out of the club and decided to try to sic the EPA on us. His suit is groundless and it doesn't have any effect whatsoever on individual club members. That's simply bull.

We have for the past few years paid an additional fee into a legal defense fund to cover expenses while this works it's way thru the courts. We have been working with the EPA and have responded to every change they have suggested to safeguard the environment. I don't want to say anymore because I am not intimately involved in the details of the suit, but it appears to be coming to an end.

This is just one jerk that got his panties in a bunch because the club got tired of his BS and kicked him out.

You shouldn't let it discourage your from joining Douglas Ridge as it is a great club. PM me if you want more info.

8. Will

Will Everett Active Member

Being a member of a club doen't make you liable for action against the club. Imaginge if a person joins a fitness club and pulls a hamstring. He migt sue the health club but wouldn't have a case against you as a member. I wouldn't be concerned if I was you.

9. warnerwh

warnerwh Portland, OR Member

Boy that story sure got blown out of reality. This was the retaliation of one person. DEQ and EPA tested and found everything within legal requirements. That should tell you something right there. The club has already won 3 suits. This is an excellent club. The members aren't affected at all unless they shoot shotgun. The shotgun range will stay closed until the last suit is resolved which should be soon. The extra fee per year was only going to be last year but it is implemented this year also to cover legal fees. Gun clubs aren't rich and attorneys are expensive.
    There is absolutely no reason to worry about joining any gun club. If Douglas Ridge is where you're interested in joining just ask and I'm sure you can get invited out there. I suspect Tri County on the west side also has members here that will invite you out there so you can see what you get. These two clubs are the most elaborate clubs in the Portland vicinity, at least that I am aware of. PM me if you'd like to check out Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. We are accepting new members right now.

10. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

I have been thinking of joining Douglas Ridge too, can someone send me some info or perhaps tell me a little about it ? Thanx !

11. AWS44

AWS44 N.P. Or. Member

Well that is not the club i was thinking of but I did talk to this club and there is a law suit and the club is temporary closed. That said, the club i belong to is a non profit corp. and insured so we are protected. Ps the club i belong to has no waiting list, is only $20 a year, and is a part of a winter league. It is only trap, and at night but lots of fun.

12. warnerwh

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club is open and has been open. The above statement is wrong. AWS44 did NOT talk to the anyone at the club that would say the club is closed especially Stan or Charlie, the president and vice president as he said he would contact in his earlier post. I guarantee they are open today. Here is the calendar of events for January:

http://www.douglasridge.org/jan_cal/cal_jan10.html

There are regular competitions there from Speed Steel to 1,000 yard rifle matches. Everything in between is pretty well covered too. Plus we also have an indoor range. The shotgun range is the only thing that is temporarily closed. We are accepting members, there's no waiting list.

Brandon: PM me and I will give you more info about Douglas Ridge. We are also a non profit organization. Please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks

13. AWS44

AWS44 N.P. Or. Member

The above statment is RIGHT! Please reread it.

( Well that is not the club i was thinking of )

Nor did i talk about Douglas Ridge Rifle Club.

You are corect in saying that i did not talk to Stan or Charlie though.

14. arjunki

arjunki Beaverton Active Member

I'm all for keeping the environment clean and doing my part by recycling, packing out my garbage plus xtra when outdoors etc. but when I hear this kinda crap it makes me sick! It's 100% political garbage!

15. warnerwh

AWS: Then what club were you talking about that is temporarily closed that is being sued?

16. Starship

Starship NE Portland Active Member

Just an FYI, both Portland Gun Club and Hillsboro Trap and Skeet have recenly had their fields "mined" for the lead. There is usually a split between the mining company and the club for the value of the lead. Yes, it can be very profitable for the club.

Portland has also installed a reclaiming area for catching the lead (from the trap shooters) and then selling it back to the members. Quite a novel idea and seems to be working very well.

17. mustang7513

mustang7513 Portland, Oregon New Member

Douglas Ridge is a non profit 504 (c) (3) subject to the rules of Oregon Chapter 65 Non Profit organizations. Section 65.151 says:

65.151 Member’s liability to third parties. A member of a corporation is not personally liable for the acts, debts, liabilities or obligations of the corporation merely by reason of being a member.

If you have doubts check it out yourself at http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/065.html.

The suit is a sad thing however, we recently won a judges decision on our request for summary judgment requiring our insurance company to pay for our defense in the environmental suits as is required by Oregon law.

We are alive and well and signed up 16 new members last month. If interested in Douglas Ridge send an email to webmaster@douglasridge.org.

Happy shooting.

18. AWS44

AWS44 N.P. Or. Member

Banks rod and gun club.

19. warnerwh

I stand corrected. My apologies.

20. AWS44

AWS44 N.P. Or. Member

:DNo problem!