JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This article is NOT LEGAL ADVICE

If you use a weapon especially a firearm, or even if you get into an alteration, you are legally responsible. What does that mean?

Best advice is to buy some time of a defense lawyer in your jurisdiction to know how the law is being enforced there. But in general -

There are books and other articles on this topic. I consider reading these part of my continuing education.
Taking a Conceal Carry class, even if you are not going to do that is beneficial. In a class, you can ask questions and get your concerns addressed.
OFF, Oregon Firearms Federation has info on their website https://www.oregonfirearms.org/ there are others.

THE LEGALITIES OF SHOOTING PEOPLE

Thanks OP. Articles like this are always nice to check out other perspectives. One thing that resonated with me was this early quote, "..but luckily we live in America, where we have a justice system based on evidence and the rule of law. " I thought WHAT?!?!? But then I saw this was written in 2014. That was long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Worth the read, thanks again.

Lawyer here (non-criminal): remember that any information you rely on needs to be current (not more than 5 years old at the most) AND be specific to your jurisdiction (state). Personally, I would not bet my freedom, and in my case profession, on any advice not provided by a criminal defense attorney licensed where I live or work (Portland's on a state border).

I'm often astonished how many folks are reported to be willing to pull out a firearm in defense of property, rather than retreating from a threat that is posed by someone trying to take or harm that property by force. I know that some states have laws that state defense of a home creates a presumption of self-defense and others have "stand your ground" laws, but those don't apply everywhere. In law school studying criminal defenses, generally (not jurisdiction specific), we were taught that a person has a duty to retreat before deploying force against another in order for self-defense to be viable defense against civil or criminal charges for assault and battery, or murder, manslaughter, etc. Seems to me that shooting someone in the commission of a property crime in most states might be really close to the murder line. I have insurance to pay for the theft of anything I can't afford to replace to avoid "self-help" that might result in a fight. It might not sound macho, but in a civilized society the goal is to avoid being one's own cop and making mistakes that might put one in jail or exposed to civil liability.

At the same time if the possibility is me or my family being harmed I'd be inclined to stop/avoid that threat however I need to, consequences be damned.

Castle Doctrine and SYG notwithstanding I would prefer to retreat if I could without coming to harm.
Unfortunately, due to various orthopedic and neurological conditions effective flight or non-lethal SD are not viable options for me. A punch to the head or chest would be very likely to cause GBH, so even an "unarmed" assailant presents a level of threat beyond what it would be for a younger less handicapped person.
I just go about my business with respect and good will toward others because we can avoid a lot of trouble by not starting it.
e.g. Drejka could have avoided killing McGlockton (and thus destroying his own life and others') by simply ignoring a minor annoyance. I have a gimp parking placard and it exasperates me when people park in a handicapped spot without showing a placard, but it's not worth starting a beef that can end up with terrible consequences. Carrying a gun for SD means that you have to mind your own business.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top