JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is an excellent article, I have a couple H ea. of the following beans put away, lentil, split pea in small two person pouches, and the pinto in larger 1 lb. pouches because they take a lot longer to cook, thus consuming more fuel, so I generally make enough for a few meals.

Lentil and split pea are great with things like rice, and such or can be added to a home made soup.

Pinto beans are great with southern foods, baked potato's, cornbread and such. I added chopped onion to mine when eating them and some times some ketchup. You can also add cooked bacon or cooked ground beef to pinto beans about 10 minute or so before removing from the stove to add flavor. Some people even add a little molasses or brown sugar, this is all trial and error on how much or if ones taste buds agree.

if your family are not big bean eaters, I would suggest trying them in small portions a few times and see everyone reactions are. Personally grew up on them and love them cooked and way there.

By the way pork n beans are about $0.50 a can at walmart and can be eaten cold, I keep some around you never know they high in carbs, protein and good energy food.

We ate a ton of beans, rice, and tortillas when growing up; and when I was a young man too. Bean are good for you and an easy and inexpensive meal. Though the results can be something out of Blazing Saddles.

Excellent way to feed and entertain the kids all day.

This thread actually reminded me of a time in pre-kindergarten age. My family was staying with friends even more poor that us. They were goat herders who had no electricity and the only running water was a hose. I finally had enough of the beans for at least two meals of the day and protested loudly as little children do. Then my father sang this crazy song about beans and I laughed my little behind off and dropped the topic. Funny how something like that sticks with you many decades later. :s0112:

I have been a bean afdicinado since early childhood, nothing better then a big bowl of beens with ham or bacon! I like to make several batches so I can make what ever I wish, BBQ beans, soup, ect! Really a hearty meal by its self, and even better with some nice and thick cornbread!

Sprout beans mung garbonzos etc it gives them up to 30% more nutrion.
Vegitarian trick, soak 24 hours , qt. Jar with cheese cloth on top RINSE with non chlorinated (well water) twice a day place on window sill, makes a good "patty" for sandwich.
70's veggitariaan told me about it. Ha...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top