JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is an article written by James Pitkin and is on page one of the WillametteWeek.

He starts of by describing how easy it is to purchase "illegal" firearms in the state, more specifically portland. The Gun

Once again it shows us that our so-called 2nd Amendment freedoms are ALWAYS being attacked! Sad.:huh:

This article appears to be a written against the Portland Police Bureau and the Mayor's Office suggesting that both are inept. Read the closing statements by the author.

Yeah. I heard the interview he did on KXL this morning driving to work. He would like FTF sales to be made illegal in OR. Absolutely no balance in the interview. :s0154:

Honestly, I couldn't make it more than a couple paragraphs before I stopped reading. The bias was, to me, so overwhelming as to make the story unreadable now. The following is what I think based on what I read and what I assumed the rest of the article to be about: So, using this idiot's logic, making FTF sales illegal will somehow change things? Criminals will still find a way to get a hold of guns, and a ban on FTF sales will make it harder and more expensive for the average Joe to get a firearm. I guess the gangster (likely felon, illegal to have a gun in the first place) will have an epiphany and decide to go through an FFL to sell to another gangster. Riiiiiiight

So keeping it in his closet where someone could break in and steal it and put it back on the street is OK? Thats doing alot to keep it out of the hands of the wrong people. Forgive my laziness to look it up but him knowing the guy that took him around to buy a gun is a convicted felon and now would have readily access of it is OK? Definately a slanted article written by a investigativly innept reporter with an agenda. Criminals will always find ways to get a gun no matter what laws are put in place, hence the moniker of criminal.

This guy has no clue whether he bought a stolen gun or one that has been used in a violent crime but is waiting till the next Sammy turn in, what a smart man he must be. Didnt even think or know of the laws he may have broken himself in doing this or the possible risk the friendly felon was in being included in the whole thing.

I heard the interview on the way to work on KXL as well and what really bothers me about these people is their lack of logic and utter stupidity on the issue of gun control.
Criminals will ALWAYS break the law(hence the name, CRIMINAL) no matter what law,ordinance,rule,ban or any other concoction our enemies in public office can dream up to pass. It is so frustrating that a complete fool like this James Pitkin character can call for more regulation and tougher gun laws while being clearly ignorant of what the real problem is. I am so sick of morons like this climbing on their soapbox and spewing this crap!Where is the logic?Where are the people that can refute this garbage? Sorry for the rant,I am fed up with dolts like this getting a voice.:s0058:
Back to work now:drunk:

How is it that people like this reporter can't get it through their thick skulls that you can't legislate an individuals morality - the laws simply place punishment on things society deems inappropriate. Is it that they have drunk so much from the pool of political correct kool-aid that there isn't any room for critical thinking or personal responsibility? Think the reporter should go back to whatever school he graduated from and ask for his money back...

Is it that they have drunk so much from the pool of political correct kool-aid that there isn't any room for critical thinking or personal responsibility?

Yes.

Think the reporter should go back to whatever school he graduated from and ask for his money back...

Most schools don't teach the old style of journalism anymore (reporting the facts). The new journalism consists of learning to disguise editiorializing as "news" in order to persuade and sway public opinion towards an agenda.

It is interesting it took him 3 hours to complete what appears to be a completely legal gun purchase. He's not a felon, it was FTF by Oregonians, and with the price above current rate the gun probably wasn't stolen. He should have gone to a gun store and saved himself 2 hours and 40 minutes.

I also thought the descriptions of gang culture stuff on uninvolved bar patrons was odd. Do people in droopy pants only get 1.5 ammendments?

Stories like this sell papers and/or attract viewers/listeners, thus increase advertising. The First Amendment in action (or running amok depending on your point of view). Journalism has come down to screamers and pretty faces earning their bosses more money from sponsors. Sigh, what ever happened to the likes of Cronkite, Morrow, Huntley or Brinkley?

Read the article, and it's pretty easy to catch the BS. First, the author states that criminals are apparently able to access guns despite it being against the law, and then later suggests the Oregon should tighten its laws to the same extent as say California or New Jersey. So his solution to the problem is doing more of what doesn't work. He notes that FTF transactions are illegal in CA, but neglects to note that California has around double the rate of violent crime that Oregon does.

Nice article :s0077:

Without Johnson vouching for me, I stood little chance of buying a gun in gang territory.

Where the heck is "gang territory" ? I only understand portland and it's neighborhoods.

Then there's this one.....

Locking up a truck driver from Milwaukie is pretty far from the kind of gang-busting work Adams talked about when he launched the gun team.

Is it because a truck driver in milwaukie is most likely to be white?

This whole article kind of makes one think that buying guns from black people is illegal.

The best part is, Nothing (other than the alleged smell of marijuana) was illegal about this purchase.

It all sounds edgy though, being a white dude from se portland going with a black former gang member to buy a gun off the street.

This is another good one from the article:

In fact, gun sales in Oregon are about as casual as shopping at a farmers market.

I truly wish that being a seller at the farmers market was as hassle free as doing a legal FTF gun sale. Just saying.

My absolute favorite pairing of sentences is this one though:

Now Oregon ranks 29th out of the 50 states for gun deaths per capita. Roughly one Oregonian every day is killed by a firearm. About 80 percent of those deaths are suicides.

What could Oregon do? It could ban the sale of assault weapons and large-capacity magazines. It could license and regulate firearms dealers at the state level, limit the number of guns bought at one time, or impose a waiting period. Or even join California and require a background check for every gun purchase.

I'm not quite sure how limiting number of guns, type of gun, mag capacity, licensing or bgc would stop suicide by gun. (that's if you believe that 80% statistic. I do)

Yep. Read it. it's a horrifying article.

I'm not quite sure how limiting number of guns, type of gun, mag capacity, licensing or bgc would stop suicide by gun. (that's if you believe that 80% statistic. I do)

Yep. Read it. it's a horrifying article.

Yep, if limiting mag capacity makes that much of a difference in an attempted suicide, they were probably doing it wrong in the first place.

Just sayin'....

I truly wish that being a seller at the farmers market was as hassle free as doing a legal FTF gun sale. Just saying.

I'd suggest more legal FTF gun sales at farmers markets as the solution.

The article was horrendous. Maybe the seller didn't ask him what he was going to use the gun for because he didn't look like a thug. I've never been asked what I'm going to do with a gun when I've bought one. I also would never ask that question when selling. If I felt the need to, the sale would be off.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top