JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have the following:
glock 26
glock 19
s&w 637 j frame
Arsenal AK47 (SGL21)
ARIZONA Response System Ak47
modified 10/22

- 6,000 rounds 7.62/39
- 22 ak mags
- 1,000 rounds 9mm
-250 rounds 00 buck (no shotgun though)
- bunch of .22
- 300 rounds .38 special

So I'm going to be honest. Obama talking tonight about reinstating the weapons ban got me thinking I would like to round out my gun collection while prices and access are reasonable. I'm not panic buying or anything, but I would like to get all the things I might want for the future now while I have some money to spend anyways. To be honest I'm not into hunting rifles or bolt actions, what I wanted to know is considering what I have, what would be the best purchase. I have 4 members of my family. (wife 2 kids)
I have always wanted an Ak for the each of us (like as a gift when my girls leave the house some day) so I am up to the idea of getting another ak, like an arsenal for example. However, I have REALLY been interested in this FN SLP 18 inch semi auto at the gun shop. Would these weapons be equally effected by any future gun bans, and which would be the better investment in your opinion.

So in short, Arsenal SGL 21 or FN SLP

Instead of a SGL 21, why not get a MAK-90 or NHM-90 or a Hungarian SA-85M, etc... Seems like a much better purchase than a SGL 21 or an over priced shotgun.

I have never seen what the big deal is with arsenal ak's. Yes, I have had a couple and they aren't anything special. There new and have a decent finish on them. Big deal. Not worth the money they are going for.

There are plenty of ak's out there that are better then the arsenal for alot less money. I've seriousally thinned my collection of ak's down lately to 11 and i can say there's not one arsenal in it. Mak90s are great rifles, yugos are the most accurate ak's I've ever owned, Romanian ak's are great for a cheap shooter, and Bulgarian ak's are built like a tank.

Being how you already have a ak47 why not go with a ak74? Ammo is cheaper, can carry more, and there's a reason they call it the poison bullet. The 5.45x39 is a wicked little round!

I don't know much about semi auto shotguns, are the FN SLP's overpriced?

I own a SLP and I think they are reasonable priced. People say the Mossberg 930 SPX is cheaper but if you hold the two you'll see the FN has much better fit/finish and construction, and no one has ever complained about the SLP failing to eject, a problem the earlier 930's supposedly had.

You already have a rifle, which is bad news in urban shooting due to extreme penetration. . A shottie with buck does not penetrate more than most handgun rounds. Even in a riot you have innocent neighbors

I have a tricked out FN SLP MK1 and I LOVE it. FN is quality and you are going to pay for it but what is your life worth? If the shottie has to come out it's serious business. My mods are Nordic oversized, fluted bolt handle, Nordic oversized bolt release, Tac Star sidesaddle shell holder, Forward rail for a strobe light, and an Otis 2 shell elastic chamber reloader, Holo sight, plus an Uncle mikes 3 point sling, and when I bought it I treated myself to 1K of S & B 12 pellet buck

The 18 inch barrel model would be best for tight quarters, the 22 inch vesion I have is an anti riot tool, not my bedside shottie

I reload buck and slugs for my shotties, including casting the projectiles. With the cost of factory defensive shells $$$$ you can save a fortune with a cheap Lee Load All press and a few molds. Practice wih birdshot and reload the shells

You are gonna love it.. BTW mine puts my sabot slugs right in the center of a buckshot pattern at 50 yards.. that is unusual in my experience and very useful

I got mine from CDNN and they still have them.. good price

Just put in my order today. $1137 for a FN SLP 18 inch.
Thats a LOT of money in my world, but a was really taken in by it.
I hope I made a good choice, and thank you all for your help!
Buy the way, do you ever get butterflies when you make a spendy purchase? My hands were shaking!

There are plenty of ak's out there that are better then the arsenal for alot less money.

Have had quite a few AK's over years as well and disagree with this assessment. There are better AK's out there, but not for less money, especially not for a lot less. Most of the Bulgarian, Yugo, Romanian, or Polish offerings out there are assembled by Century Arms, with their drunken money quality control.

That is because you have never experienced the quick devastation a properly loaded, combat designed, quality semi auto 12 Ga can do up close

Really? So now your the expert on what I have or haven't done? Nice to see you can make that assessment.....

For half the money you can buy a saiga 12. Or is that not a "properly loaded, combat designed, quality semi auto 12 ga" good enough for ya?

Have had quite a few AK's over years as well and disagree with this assessment. There are better AK's out there, but not for less money, especially not for a lot less. Most of the Bulgarian, Yugo, Romanian, or Polish offerings out there are assembled by Century Arms, with their drunken money quality control.

I don't know where you are looking but all of the rifles you mentioned can be had for less than a arsenal. Just because it's used doesn't mean it's any less of a rifle. In fact, I just finished up building 3 yugo milled, matching numbers, underfolders for around $300 apiece.