JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For what it's worth, if you haven't tried it, give CBD oils or lotions a try. My mother is in her 80s and a piano player. It allows her to keep playing. They aren't all equal so you may have to try a few if you go that route.

Sincere question: Why are all these devices made for the wrong (left) side of the gun? I am so right-handed my left hand is practically useless. :(
Because left side charging handle is more ergonomic, as you can get your hand on the pistol grip while reloading. Its not new for the charging handle to be on the left.

On the right side you either use your firing hand or you compensate by reaching over/under the gun to reach the charging handle.

The charging handle is one of those "weak links" in the AR system and should used minimally. When doing so, I do not use the old two finger "T" approach, instead I make a fist with a rolled over thumbs up and contact the CH with first segment of the support hand index finger as I rack it.
I've always done that.

This may not be news to you at all, but just in case: For jars, place one palm on the bottom of the jar and the other palm on the top, holding the jar sideways across your chest. Grip with the palms rather than fingers. Press together and turn just enough to break the seal. Then grip the jar normally to open the rest of the way. That could buy you a few years.

EDIT: This works with pill bottles too. God, I sound old.

Last Edited:
This may not be news to you at all, but just in case: For jars, place one palm on the bottom of the jar and the other palm on the top, holding the jar sideways across your chest. Grip with the palms rather than fingers. Press together and turn just enough to break the seal. Then grip the jar normally to open the rest of the way. That could buy you a few years.
Beer doesn't come in a jar.

lol

And then a do-gooder asks, have you tried ibuprofen or a joint supplement?
I understand completely. My son has had arthritis since he was 3. I've lost track of the countless times we've had well-meaning people suggest things that have worked for them. It got frustrating to repeatedly explain why that wouldn't work for the extreme type of arthritis that he has. As irritating as it got, I learned that it was always well-intentioned and I should take it as such. He's been on Humira for over 10 years now, and it's been the only thing that has allowed him a normal childhood.

One positive thing about all the unsolicited advice has been that I've tried some things for my own minor arthritic issues. The supplements have helped, but I think that the biggest help has been plain old water. I don't seem to have a strong instinct to stay hydrated. When I remember to force myself to drink plenty of water throughout the day, the difference is amazing. :)

I don't have anything to add regarding charging handles though. Sorry :)

EDIT: This works with pill bottles too. God, I sound old.
The pickle jar advice is well noted, thank you. I'm guessin' pickle juice is likely not too good for arthritis anyway. The truth and saddest part
of this is that I easily remember when none of this stuff bothered me. Being able to remember when I was young, strong and virile is at
least as bad as the arthritis. However, when I look at the big picture, I am one very lucky guy. And I could easily fill up pages on my good
fortune, not monetarily though. I know I'm gonna exit smiling someday. So this place is good for me too as I can write stuff like this.

Because left side charging handle is more ergonomic, as you can get your hand on the pistol grip while reloading. Its not new for the charging handle to be on the left.

On the right side you either use your firing hand or you compensate by reaching over/under the gun to reach the charging handle.

Spoken like someone who has AK experience!

The pickle jar advice is well noted, thank you. I'm guessin' pickle juice is likely not too good for arthritis anyway. The truth and saddest part
of this is that I easily remember when none of this stuff bothered me. Being able to remember when I was young, strong and virile is at
least as bad as the arthritis. However, when I look at the big picture, I am one very lucky guy. And I could easily fill up pages on my good
fortune, not monetarily though. I know I'm gonna exit smiling someday. So this place is good for me too as I can write stuff like this.

I agree. I just do what I can to keep on truckin'. I'm not giving up.

I continue to hunt. I don't walk for miles, but I can still hunt from a chair. And it's now the youngsters turn to drag my deer.:s0155:

Ex Custom Knifemaker 25 years of truck driving etc. I rub my hands every morning with CBD lotion from the Drug Store (no THC) and while it does not turn me into superman it does relieve a good portion of the pain and allows normal movement without the Trigger finger and other problems my 63 year old hands suffer. I have also seen near miracles done by DMSO my Grandfather was a big follower of Dr. Linus Pauling and used DMSO as far back as the 70's when they had to smuggle it in from Canada. It costs little to go by the farm store and pickup some of the Vet lotion that has DMSO in it and almost every drug store carries the CBD stuff. I like the Brand SHIKAI

Spoken like someone who has AK experience!
I mean, even my AR has the charging handle on the right side. I have more AKs, just needed the two for size comparison with the AR pistol.

2D7A0FE5-D5AB-4860-A160-01F2B7C2E473.jpeg

Search for hunting with disabilities and you will find products that might help you out. Like this place has hand grips that help with pulling triggers and even a trigger mechanism that one can bite on if they have no use of their hands.

You guys are really nice making suggestions for treating arthritis but joint pain has a lot of different causes which are all treated in many different ways. One treatment isnt necessarily good for another just like you wouldnt recommend shooting blackout in a 5.56 rifle even though the rounds look very similar.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top