JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sunday (1.25.2009) is Speed Steel at the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club.

Who is gonna be there?

I'm really hoping we'll have weather like we did today.

Six stages of immense fun... you should all be there.

Starts at 9AM (= be there at 8:30)

Mr. Link, you especially should be there... represent for your NWFA site.

Sunday (1.25.2009) is Speed Steel at the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club.

Who is gonna be there?

I'm really hoping we'll have weather like we did today.

Six stages of immense fun... you should all be there.

Starts at 9AM (= be there at 8:30)

Mr. Link, you especially should be there… represent for your NWFA site.

Gate code to get in if'in yer not a member is supposed to be 786536# corresponds to the word STOLEN

If that doesn't work 1944# will.

I was wondering if this would get posted here!!!!

Heck ya I will be there!!! the question is what will I shoot? Probally shoot .22 because I am poor and it is cheap!!!!!!

Hope to see many of you there also!!!!

Steven

There are two as I think I posted this thread incorrectly; should have been in the other forum all along I believe... Joey?

As for Civil he knows the rules just giving me a hard time (as usual).

I'll post a little tidbit there that is also up on arf.com.

Mr. Link you're gunna have to start coming to these things ya know.

What are the rulez? ;)
The rules (to life in general)? ...common sense and courtesy.

If you have a negligent discharge, you will be disqualified. If you behave in an unsportsmanlike way, you will be disqualified. If you can not follow the instructions of the Range Officer you will be warned. If you continue not follow the instructions of the Range Officer you will be disqualified. Seems pretty simple; be safe, be nice, do what your told you'll have a great time. :winkkiss:

How it all works...

In Speed Steel all the targets are steel and range in size from 8-inch round targets to rectangular targets that are 18x24 inches. Different targets are arranged at various different locations and distances from the shooter (10-30 yards). Each arrangement makes a "stage." There are six stages in a normal match.

The individual shooter will group with other shooters making a "squad." Each squad will move from stage to stage letting every shooter shoot every stage. Once every shooter on a squad has shot that particular stage, the squad moves on to the next stage.

At each stage the shooter will stand in one location, the "shooters box" (read no movement), and shoot each stage five separate times. Each time the shooter shoots the stage is a "run." The worst score of those five runs is thrown out and the individual shooter’s score for that stage is the best four runs (times) added together. The culmination of the total times from the six stages is the shooters score for the match. Each run will require the shooter to shoot the various different pieces of steel in any order they see fit except for the one piece of steel at each stage that is the "stop plate." The stop plate is the piece of steel deemed to stop the clock. Any piece of steel not hit (missed or not engaged) prior to the stop plate will add three seconds to the shooter's time. There are normally five or six hits required in each run. Notice I said hits, not shots. If you miss, it's going to take more than five to six shots to make those hits (thank goodness for high capacity magazines).

For ammo: 6-stages X 5-runs X 6-hits per run = 180-rounds of ammunition (that's if you don't miss). Not all stages require six hits per run, some are five, some are only four. I miss a lot though so I usually bring at least 250-rounds of ammunition to a match. As you're shooting five runs per stage, having five magazines for your pistol/carbine is a nice thing. Start each run with a fresh magazine. Not necessary though. if you only have a few your first time out, other folks on your squad can help to reload your magazines between your runs.

Pretty simple.

There are five different Classes a shooter can shoot in.

Open: is the "anything goes" race gun (handgun) class (same as used in USPSA/IPSC Open Division). These are the center fire handguns (pistols and revolvers) with compensators and/or optical sights (red dot). 22lr does not fall into the Open Class.

Limited: center fire semi-automatic handguns without compensators and/or optical sights.

Revolver: center fire revolvers without compensators and/or optical sights.

22lr Handgun: is any handgun chambered in 22lr with or without compensators and/or optical sights. ARPC did experiment with 22lr carbines, but has discontinued this class, other clubs may still offer it.

Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC): is a carbine chambered in a center fire pistol caliber. This is where you might see the Beretta Storm carbines, Marlin Camp Carbines, Ruger PC carbines, pistol caliber, AR type carbines, Etc. Compensators and/or optical sights run together with iron sighted carbines here. Please note, there are NO center fire rifle caliber firearms allowed in Speed Steel.

First time shooters, shooters in the 22lr class and the Pistol Caliber Carbine class start from the low-ready (muzzle of the firearm point at the ground five feet in front of them or at a specific point on the ground depending on match circumstances) people shooting in the Open, Limited or Revolver class all draw their handgun from a holster.

I know there's a lot that is missing, but that's the general idea. I type slow and it's taken me longer to type this out than it does for a squad to shoot a stage. If you have any questions, just ask. It is competitive shooting so there is some structure, but it's not high strung like one might think; very low key. It is relatively easy (as far as competition goes) and a lot of fun. Relatively a high round count so you do get to put some rounds down range.

Things change I can't make it! I will save the ruger PC9 for next month!

Dam motherinlaw needs help moving and I guess they tell me that is more important! (to my wife maybe not to me)

See you guys next month! Have a blast for me I know you will!!!

Steven

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top