JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got in line before opening. Fast-walked all the aisles, brain programmed to spot SW 629 Classics and ignore all else. No long gun or semi auto tempted me in the least. But I did find myself lingering over a Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5 inch. Really ridiculous, I told myself. But kept remembering it as I finished my search. There were no pre-lock 629 Classics.

Ambled back and looked at the Ruger. (I had remembered exactly where it was, to the very inch.) Asked to have the tie clipped and pointed it at the ceiling. No other safe direction to point in the crowd. Wow! What a nice balance! Just perfect for me somehow. Suddenly a Super Redhawk with a 9.5 inch barrel no longer seemed too big. On the contrary! Every other handgun I had ever held now seemed too small. A compromise between various necessities and what a gun really ought to be. And what a great sight picture! And it seemed to be exactly the right size for me when I held it. (Why in the world did I think I wanted a dinky little 629 Classic with a dinky little 6.5 inch barrel anyway?) Cylinder and action nice and tight. SA trigger pull is nice and crisp. DA a bit heavier than a Smith but still fine. No need to change springs.

What fun! Have been home for several hours playing with the new gun. New grips are ordered and on the way. A good day.

I too went in search of a pre lock 629, I found two pre lock 686's. I ended up coming home with a very nice 500 magnum 8 3/8" barrel. I'll see how bad it kicks this afternoon!

I was amazed that we have a show right here in the middle of the Willamette Valley with so many "One-of-a-Kind guns! I'm must of heard four times from guys that I would never see another one of these anywhere. Too rich for my blood.

man, today i saw 3 winchester 1866 yellowboy rifles. $11,500, $12,500 and $20,000. :eek: i could tell that some of the screws werent original though:rolleyes:

ive been wanting one of these. but, now i am pretty much solidified in buying a new production or reproduction one for just over $1000. :D

pretty cool piece of history. crazy how valuable an original can be.

man, today i saw 3 winchester 1866 yellowboy rifles. $11,500, $12,500 and $20,000. :eek: i could tell that some of the screws werent original though:rolleyes:

ive been wanting one of these. but, now i am pretty much solidified in buying a new production or reproduction one for just over $1000. :D

pretty cool piece of history. crazy how valuable an original can be.

Hells yeah...I saw that $11,000.00+ Winchester. I was talking to a gal at another table and she was showing off the guns-under-glass items, only 500 made, one of a kind, "Jesse James personal pocket pistol" kinda stuff. Felt like a real schlemiel just wanting something old(er), wood and blue steel, with a good barrel and so-so wood. You know? A gun that you can shoot a bunch?

Funny thing. Lots of old fuds. Lots of museum keeper tables. Several guys turned down offers on older milsurp guns that were within $100 of their asking prices without even counter offering. One guy said he was firm on his price as someone had already offered him more than he had the gun marked for. We walked away scratching our head why he'd been offered more than he was asking, yet he still had the gun sitting there...

Walked by a table where a friend was working and made fun of him for having an old Savage lever action on it (he's always been more of the modern stuff). Had a friend with me just learning guns so I simply referred to it as a Savage 99 (instead of a Model 1899) for simplicity. Had a random guy push me aside and say "actually, that's an 1899" in his best you're a dumb kid voice. I do get frustrated by older guys who see a 38 year old man and assumes I only know AR's, etc.

I was helping a friend find a 1903 Springfield or 1917 Enfield (he found an awesome 1923 dated high number 03 Springfield). I've been buying, selling, building, fixing, and restoring these rifles for several years. I don't know everything, to be sure, but I have a pretty good handle on parts, pieces, and who made what, when. Lots of guys asking if I understand what it was and trying to dumb down the rifle for me. But everyone assumes all buyers are idiots. It's a bit obnoxious.

But overall, it was a good show. Met with some friends, both those from here, and others. Talked guns, fondled some good toys, and had a chance to shoot the buddy's new 1903 today.

This is always a good show. The crotchety old bastards will work themselves out eventually. The majority of the guys there are good guys!

I had 2 world class liars today. One tried to convince me he had a rare Garand and a rare government issue 1911 in 30 carbine. The other told me he had a Marlin Safari Grade in 458 Win Mag. Always entertaining.

Funny thing. Lots of old fuds. Lots of museum keeper tables. Several guys turned down offers on older milsurp guns that were within $100 of their asking prices without even counter offering. One guy said he was firm on his price as someone had already offered him more than he had the gun marked for. We walked away scratching our head why he'd been offered more than he was asking, yet he still had the gun sitting there...

Walked by a table where a friend was working and made fun of him for having an old Savage lever action on it (he's always been more of the modern stuff). Had a friend with me just learning guns so I simply referred to it as a Savage 99 (instead of a Model 1899) for simplicity. Had a random guy push me aside and say "actually, that's an 1899" in his best you're a dumb kid voice. I do get frustrated by older guys who see a 38 year old man and assumes I only know AR's, etc.

I was helping a friend find a 1903 Springfield or 1917 Enfield (he found an awesome 1923 dated high number 03 Springfield). I've been buying, selling, building, fixing, and restoring these rifles for several years. I don't know everything, to be sure, but I have a pretty good handle on parts, pieces, and who made what, when. Lots of guys asking if I understand what it was and trying to dumb down the rifle for me. But everyone assumes all buyers are idiots. It's a bit obnoxious.

But overall, it was a good show. Met with some friends, both those from here, and others. Talked guns, fondled some good toys, and had a chance to shoot the buddy's new 1903 today.

This is always a good show. The crotchety old bastards will work themselves out eventually. The majority of the guys there are good guys!
yes, the crotchety old guys need to go...had one guy lecture me over how he couldnt even move $2 on a part because of how much it costs him to travel there, gas, table fee, blah blah blah... OK. you could have just said no.

ordered one online instead.

They don't need to go, I guess. They just need to learn new tricks. They need to pass on their knowledge in a useful and polite way instead of a condescending jackass way.
There are several members here who are dang near experts on certain topics. I've never felt talked down to here. That's a positive about this sight. That's what the gun show guys need to learn. Not everyone is a stupid kid looking for the call of duty gun they had in their video game.
And these old guys are dying off. I just heard a friend has had a recurrence of his cancer and likely won't be around much longer. He talk me a lot. Guys need to be sharing their knowledge with guys willing and able to learn. Before they go and their knowledge goes with them...

They don't need to go, I guess. They just need to learn new tricks. They need to pass on their knowledge in a useful and polite way instead of a condescending jackass way.
There are several members here who are dang near experts on certain topics. I've never felt talked down to here. That's a positive about this sight. That's what the gun show guys need to learn. Not everyone is a stupid kid looking for the call of duty gun they had in their video game.
And these old guys are dying off. I just heard a friend has had a recurrence of his cancer and likely won't be around much longer. He talk me a lot. Guys need to be sharing their knowledge with guys willing and able to learn. Before they go and their knowledge goes with them...
one of the nicest "old timer gun guys" i know is ole. hes had cancer atleast twice. he was at the show today at his table. it was nice talking with him for 5-10min today. he sold me almost every bit of my reloading equipment when i first started 10 years ago when i was 21.

i was upset when the county told him he couldnt have his gunsmith,kevin, work at his shop anymore and then it sucked even more when he had to close his shop doors. good to see that he still makes it out to the gun shows!

I have had similar positive experiences with Ole and his wife as well. When I opened my retail shop, I bought a display case out of his shop. On my opening day, Ole and his wife came down to help me. They continued to advise me the entire time I had my shop open.
Some people may have differing opinions, but in my book, Ole will always be good people.

I have had similar positive experiences with Ole and his wife as well. When I opened my retail shop, I bought a display case out of his shop. On my opening day, Ole and his wife came down to help me. They continued to advise me the entire time I had my shop open.
Some people may have differing opinions, but in my book, Ole will always be good people.
ole and his wife always are/were more than happy to help no matter what. there arent many shop like his anymore.

back when 22lr was harder to find than that chinese unobtanium they somehow got a pallet of it and sold it for normal price. didnt capitolize on it like many others did. also, ive yet to find ANY shop with the amount and variety of once fired brass available on hand ALL the time.

good and fair people they are

Ole and Corrine are good people. Ole sold me my first gun decades ago. I'll take the old guys over the new guys. You just have to know how to call them on their bs. They get their kicks playing games.

Good show, a guy had 50 round boxes of JHP+P 38 special for $19.00 a box but I wasn't sure if that would cause problems in a 60+ old K-frame revolver and wasn't going to risk it.

My whole interest in guns started in late 2009. TEN years is all the time I've had to soak stuff up! And I'm 63. There's so much cool to look at at these shows. With what little I know about it all I get the feeling that a bunch of these guy are trying to rob me. And from what I've soaked up in the last ten years I recognized a bunch of stuff that was plain old retail in a beat-up box. I stood at several tables that appeared way too big for the two people working it, trying to get a bit of attention. I do know some things though. A good Swede Mauser bayonet for instance. Had some incorrect/home made frog. Had it been the correct frog I would have handed him asking price. I would have had to hit Gunbroker to get the correct frog. I'm not sure the kid that had to go ask dad even mentioned the frog. I offered what I would pay, wasn't going to play a game. I'm there to get a better price. I'm guessing he will take it home with him. Instead of $45.00 cash in his pocket.

I had 2 world class liars today. One tried to convince me he had a rare Garand and a rare government issue 1911 in 30 carbine. The other told me he had a Marlin Safari Grade in 458 Win Mag. Always entertaining.

I'm pretty sure I saw the exact Swede Mauser I saw last year. Still a couple C-notes more than what I paid for an all matching on Gun Broker. :D And then, guns without prices? And too many tables for two people to serve.

I'll be back next year though!

Yep the next rifle and Pistol Club Show it Sept 28-29. There might be a couple Wes Knodel(promoter) shows between now and then. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Police turn in Glock 22's that a couple dealers had for less than $350.00, heck I'm not a Glock fanboy and all ready have 2 40 cals but was tempted at that price point.

Theres Wes Knodel, sometimes November, sometimes December? And then theres the East Albany Lions Club show, usually in January... these two shows are usually smaller than the ARPC shows. There's no gun show that takes place between the Spring and Fall ARPC shows at the Linn Expo/Fairgrounds, right?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top