JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you pay $5-10 to get into a gun show to do a free transfer, saving you what, $10? Guess I've never been so poor that I had to worry about $10. I don't know any FFLs that see transfers as good income. Paperwork/time isn't worth the pittance
I would assume you went to the gun show to look at guns and stuff. You see a guy walking around with a rifle on his shoulder for sale and you want to buy it. You have three options at this point. Cheapest would be to have him run the BG check. Second seller could try and find a FFL at the show who will do private party transfer. That will likely cost transfer and BG fee. Third you could meet him at FFL dealer somewhere near the gun show and pay transfer and bg fee. The more options the better imho. Transfer and BG fees add up especially on low dollar firearm purchases like AR lowers.

I would assume you went to the gun show to look at guns and stuff. You see a guy walking around with a rifle on his shoulder for sale and you want to buy it. You have three options at this point. Cheapest would be to have him run the BG check. Second seller could try and find a FFL at the show who will do private party transfer. That will likely cost transfer and BG fee. Third you could meet him at FFL dealer somewhere near the gun show and pay transfer and bg fee. The more options the better imho. Transfer and BG fees add up especially on low dollar firearm purchases like AR lowers.

Close, but no cigar. You have a 4th option that's not well known to folks who don't set up at gun shows in Oregon. If it's a long gun the buyer and seller can do a "gun show transfer" where they get a form from whoever is running the gun show, and fill it out. Then the seller calls the state police and tells them they want to do a gun show transfer. The state police person will ask what show they are at, and then take the pertinent information of ID and gun info. They will also request a credit card to charge the background check to, and I usually put the buyer on the phone and have them give his credit card info. Then they'll tell you it's OK, or not.
After that you give them the gun, and take the form home and put it away in your files. This law went into effect decades ago, but it seems even some people sitting behind the table aren't aware of it. I've done it numerous times, and it works smooth as any FFL transfer, with less cost and hassle.

2017 ORS 166.441¹
Form for transfer of firearm at gun show

Close, but no cigar. You have a 4th option that's not well known to folks who don't set up at gun shows in Oregon. If it's a long gun the buyer and seller can do a "gun show transfer" where they get a form from whoever is running the gun show, and fill it out. Then the seller calls the state police and tells them they want to do a gun show transfer. The state police person will ask what show they are at, and then take the pertinent information of ID and gun info. They will also request a credit card to charge the background check to, and I usually put the buyer on the phone and have them give his credit card info. Then they'll tell you it's OK, or not.
After that you give them the gun, and take the form home and put it away in your files. This law went into effect decades ago, but it seems even some people sitting behind the table aren't aware of it. I've done it numerous times, and it works smooth as any FFL transfer, with less cost and hassle.

2017 ORS 166.441¹
Form for transfer of firearm at gun show
That was my first option I mentioned but thanks for laying it out in more detail.

Great! I'll figure on going Saturday morning. I'll be looking to buy a pre-lock SW 629 Classic 6.5 inch. Hope to meet some of you there. I'll be the 73-year-old broad with an adjustable cane/staff that has a rifle support instead of a knob or bend on the end.

Hopefully there is more than one of these at the show, I've been watching for the same exact thing :p

Hopefully there is more than one of these at the show, I've been watching for the same exact thing :p
Actually I'm pretty flexible. I want a Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5 inch .44 too. And it's a bit arbitrary which I buy first. Only have enough $$ for one or the other right now. I'm giving the 629 priority, because I figure that will be harder to find since I want pre-lock. And I can get a new Super Redhawk any time at a good price from a local gunstore. But if the 629 Classics are overpriced or there is a scoped Super Redhawk at the show that whispers my name enticingly as I approach, I might buy it instead.

Whut? That's so petty!

Now, those pepperonis better not go up. That'd be the last straw!

Last show my son wanted some pepperoni, so he bought some, and the kangaroo sticks. Neither were edible, and even our chocolate lab wouldn't eat the kangaroo sticks. As my 11 year old pointed out, "she will eat cat poop but not meat, so you know it's bad".

I was a little worried I wouldn't have enough guns for the tables I rented at the show, but last minute good deals have me pretty much ready. Now to remind myself that they are for sale, not to keep, well most of them anyway

I was a little worried I wouldn't have enough guns for the tables I rented at the show, but last minute good deals have me pretty much ready. Now to remind myself that they are for sale, not to keep, well most of them anyway

What shop? Or, what kind of stuff on your tables? We'll watch for you.

Wife and I are planning on going after we do the fundraiser event for the HS trap shooting team.

Looking to pick up a choke for turkey season and whatever else catches my eye lol

I'm not going to miss the best show of the year just because I I broke my leg/ankle in three places and am not supposed to leave the house for another few weeks..
I've been trapped in my bedroom for a month now, so against my docs orders I'm going.I have two tables and a room at the hotel next door reserved in case the pain gets to much and I need to go put my foot up... I'll have freinds and family there to help if the pain gets too much and I have to take a brake...
I'll be the guy with the Zombie Green cast on his leg...

This really is one of the better shows, you see a lot of firearms and gear and less vibrating pillows and vinyl window blind sales people. Plus the concession is priced right and delicious.

I wonder if any of the vendors have the new 20rd Redball magazines for the .45 Hi points... they look better than the 9mm version, and they'll be perfect for my father's .45 Hi point carbine .. edit, theyre double stack on the lower half, single stack (1911 mag width) on upper half with a single spring and follower.. I think.

received_1443436252405041.jpeg

I'll be there tomorrow at 9am sharp.

If anyone wants to say "HEY", drop me a message and let's connect.

I'll be there tomorrow at 9am sharp.

If anyone wants to say "HEY", drop me a message and let's connect.

Wifey and I will be there and would like to meet "Like Minded People". :D I was wondering if @MountainBear has a table? We'll be in "The" line about fifty/sixty people back, if we're lucky.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top