JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...of five 30-round AR-15 magazines.

<broken link removed>

This guy was recognized last year for helping a wounded vet:

Fort Drum - The Mountaineer Online

Haddad%20and%20Troy.jpg

It's absolutely crazy to think that a few thousand miles away, in the same country, a decorated veteran is getting charged with a felony for possessing something that any northwest resident can find sitting on the shelves of their local sporting goods store.

I feel bad for the guy. I feel bad for the cops who are doing the bidding of their evil bosses.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using <broken link removed>

Not sure if this is fact or not... But i do belive if the magazines were made prior to 1994 that they were legal under the bans NY had in place, prior to the newest laws.

I am also not sure if this applied to AR magazines or not.

I say this, because i saw places selling pre ban AK magazines, they said were NY compliant and they were very expensive, but people could get them.

Here is the link that shows about the AK magazines.

<broken link removed>

M67, you are correct. I'm not completely sure of the year but, they could use pre-ban 30 round mags. Since the new law has not taken effect yet he must have not been using pre-ban mags. That is of course unless the new law removed the grandfather clause and for magazines began immediately. Anyone read the whole thing that can confirm?

I'm curious, are these magazines stamped with a date on them?? If so, where is it, and how do you find out which are PRE ban and which are not. Single stack vs double stack??

Most magazine manufacturers have refused to date stamp mags, so I'm not sure, but it is quite sad to see a veteran treated like a common criminal. The police could refuse to arrest him, but it's NY.

Explain to me how the cops are victims exactly? Are guns pointed to their heads? Did someone else make the choice to go to work that day?

Think it through.

I feel bad for the guy. I feel bad for the cops who are doing the bidding of their evil bosses.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using <broken link removed>

Most likely the man had some of his issue magazines (post 94) marked "Restricted Military/Law..." after he retired. Got caught with them. Was made an example.

Not sure if this is fact or not... But i do belive if the magazines were made prior to 1994 that they were legal under the bans NY had in place, prior to the newest laws.

You are correct, the preban (normally unmarked mags) were good to go. I was stationed in Ft. Drum from 96 thru 2000.

This is my personal experience.

I had friends who were locals and members of the Watertown Sportsmans Club - so I shot there often.

Being by Drum...a major active duty Light Infantry Division....peoples tastes tended to go towards the EBRs. Even with the locals. Before I got stationed there - my friends had plenty of high caps. They may have picked up one or a dozen once I showed up...who knows. :s0123: One guy literally had a duffle bag full. Very, very few were "restricted". All came from Drum. It was jokingly referred to as overflow.

Many times Law Enforcement on duty would would show up at the range to shoot. They never bothered us and many times would chat. With my haircut - I was obviously a "Drumie" as they would call us. But the other guys on the range. No way were they military. Tons of AR's w/ mags piled all over the place. And not just my buddies. No checks. No hassles. No problems.

Once one of the shooters had a couple restricted mags on his bench. He was down on the other end and clearly wasn't with me. A cop taps his finger on the guys mags, chuckled, and said be careful. No checks of the AR's to make sure that they were correct Pre or Post configurations for their receivers. Guess that culture has changed.

Honestly it was a nightmare to enforce the NY state laws in that area prior to this last law passing. Forget the locals. 10th Mountain Division. Infantry guys love our modern auto loading weapons. We came from all over the country with much less restrictive laws. We'd bring our weapons with us. Most of the laws were too confusing or difficult to comply with so we didn't. If they were easy to follow....the majority of us wouldn't have anyway. They were all bubblegum laws. At the time in NY - to legally own a pistol, you had to have a CWP. Your pistols were listed on the permit. They were registered. I saw tons of soldiers with pistols. Most kept off post or at friends places. No permits.

At the time in that area the laws simply were not followed. The cops didn't check...because they didn't want to confirm what they already knew. Locals or "Drumies". Again...guess times have changed. They made an example. Good luck with people complying.

Those cops chose to ignore the constitution and obey unlawful rules.
I don't feel bad for them. They chose to ignore that man's rights. Bad enough they do it at all, but to someone who defended this country. They should be in jail

Well, they would have been in jail or without a job if they had refused to arrest him. It sucks but, between jail and or my family on the street I would probably have busted him as well. You don't make the laws as a cop. If the people of new york did not want these bs laws then they would not have elected the idiots in their government.

In government, in NY, defending your country has the stench of death about it. A Vet is one of THEM not one of US! I try not to be a hater, but the progressives make it so hard! Good luck to this honorable man and shame on those who would smear him!

Well, they would have been in jail or without a job if they had refused to arrest him. It sucks but, between jail and or my family on the street I would probably have busted him as well. You don't make the laws as a cop. If the people of new york did not want these bs laws then they would not have elected the idiots in their government.

Yes, pro- freedom LE's in tough spot and it will only get harder as the years go on.

In government, in NY, defending your country has the stench of death about it. A Vet is one of THEM not one of US! I try not to be a hater, but the progressives make it so hard! Good luck to this honorable man and shame on those who would smear him!

Its easy to be a hater, I am quite Zen with it. I hate new york (not capitalized for a reason) and most New Yorkers. Its a human toilet. A political cesspool. A philosophical sewer. I cheer when I hear new yorkers and new jersey'ns are p|ssing in pots in the dark because they havent gotten any federal help after hurricane Sandy. They richly deserve it. They were used as a photo op for their dear leader and they were discarded like a used condom. Serves them right. A blue state that gets whats coming to them. I just hope the sane gun owners rise up against against their captors and tell cuomo to pound his signing pen colon-deep.

I' finding this strange. Yes, preban (1994) mags over 10 rounds are grandfathered in NY. At least until April 1, 2013. After that they are illegal, if the "Safe Act" isn't thrown out of court earlier. Execpt, that may not hold true in New York City. I know NYS law, I do not know NYC law, other than it is different and stricter.

Ok, checked, this did not happen in the NYC area. Shows a good reason you do not let LE search you vehicle without a warrent....EVER!

I'm not gunna read all the script but it's like the Marine that had his gun on him when he went to one of our monuments armed in a unarmed state or the doctorate student that did the same

You have to know the laws of the region you are visiting or you will go to jail.

aslinged, I did think it through.
Some LEOs are just bullies with badges. Maybe the ones who busted this guy were 'looking for a reason'.
Some are good. Maybe these guys were just put in a difficult situation. Maybe they're Vets too.
If you're in the military you have an obligation and duty to disobey an illegal order. You'll still get in trouble but supposedly not to much.
In law enforcement, you have to enforce the law.......even a bubblegum one.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top