JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is the link!!! http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/26/wounded.warrior/

This is really starting to piss me off. And I bet that my dad is rolling in his grave, for you served this country for 10 years, 4 of that in Vietnam, and now our government is pulling this crap! GRRRRR :angry:

My Father always told me; "No matter how you feel about the government, always suport the troop, for they are just following orders, like I had to!"

:s0146:

This is just as bad as our veterans spending the night in homeless shelters or on the street. America needs to take care of those who put their lives on the line for our freedom, at whatever the cost!:s0160:

Welcome to Government medicine!

If you don't jump through all the hoops that the Veterans Administration mandates, all approved by law, then you can kiss your health goodbye. There are hundrededs of disabled veterans in OR and WA that run into similar problems each year. BTDT.

This is just as bad as our veterans spending the night in homeless shelters or on the street. America needs to take care of those who put their lives on the line for our freedom, at whatever the cost!:s0160:

At the risk of being scalded here (which I get a lot from this sight)... If a veteran spends a night on the street or a homeless shelter, he (we, us, you) should look at what put him there.

I have served 10 years in the military and now heading back to finish up my last ten...

But on subject, I separated from the military with nothing but a final paycheck, a truck (which I was still making payments) and having my belongings sent back to Oregon to be stored for "free" until I could figure out where to lay my head...

This is the same story for tens if not hundreds of thousands of vets each year, whom manage to survive, make plans, adapt and overcome their situation and the choice which was made to separate.

For the "homeless" vets out there, what did you do differently than the rest of us, who were able to make things happen?

Were they not trained, paid, mentored and guided that same as me? The original post made me angry, but lets not bleed our hearts out for people who make bad choices and put themselves on the street...

At the risk of being scalded here (which I get a lot from this sight)... If a veteran spends a night on the street or a homeless shelter, he (we, us, you) should look at what put him there.

I have served 10 years in the military and now heading back to finish up my last ten...

But on subject, I separated from the military with nothing but a final paycheck, a truck (which I was still making payments) and having my belongings sent back to Oregon to be stored for "free" until I could figure out where to lay my head...

This is the same story for tens if not hundreds of thousands of vets each year, whom manage to survive, make plans, adapt and overcome their situation and the choice which was made to separate.

For the "homeless" vets out there, what did you do differently than the rest of us, who were able to make things happen?

Were they not trained, paid, mentored and guided that same as me? The original post made me angry, but lets not bleed our hearts out for people who make bad choices and put themselves on the street...

I think it has something to do with not all of us being the same and reacting the same to the same situations. You and the thousands of other Veterans who are fortunate to have such a strong mentalities and emotional well beings were obviously not effected as much by the environments you were in.

As in your case, most get through just fine. However we should not throw those aside who did not cope well. They served to the capacity of many, yet found themselves unable to cope with the after.

All I'm saying is that if you put up your life to support the call of our country, you should be taken care of when that call is finished.

You are correct in assuming that there is probably a percentage of those homeless veterans who put themselves there, yet I would suggest that percentage to be a very low cause and that mental illness to take in the majority of those cases. There is no reason to deny service to all because some caused their own demise.

By the way, thank you for your service to our county.

Along with Mutoman, I think this is a tough case. Obviously a lot of service men and women come out fine and thrive, however, I can't imagine some of the things these men and women have seen. I don't know if I could cope with it. Most people that came out of vietnam or any war really didn't come back the same.
There was an article in the Portland tribune about the suicide rate among Vets. It was unreal.
Some of these people come home and can't live with what they have done, they can't live in regualr society without worrying about someone trying to kill them.
I'm not saying that Vets should come home and live like kings, but they should have the support and medical care they need.

I didn't serve this country and have regretted it ever since. So I greatly Thank all of you who did or are currently.

I think it has something to do with not all of us being the same and reacting the same to the same situations. You and the thousands of other Veterans who are fortunate to have such a strong mentalities and emotional well beings were obviously not effected as much by the environments you were in.

As in your case, most get through just fine. However we should not throw those aside who did not cope well. They served to the capacity of many, yet found themselves unable to cope with the after.

All I'm saying is that if you put up your life to support the call of our country, you should be taken care of when that call is finished.

You are correct in assuming that there is probably a percentage of those homeless veterans who put themselves there, yet I would suggest that percentage to be a very low cause and that mental illness to take in the majority of those cases. There is no reason to deny service to all because some caused their own demise.

By the way, thank you for your service to our county.

For one of the first times here, a rational thought put down onto a post has actually made me think about things. I do strongly believe that the mental downfall of some could have caused a great decline in ones ability to move forward in life.

It is the duty of our military/government to care those few, who's mental stability has be compromised to the point of or to; the inability to cope in daily life or effectively participate in normal socialization.

This was greatly missed in the mass draft and separation of service members from the Vietnam era. I do believe that in the current system, our service members are greatly cared for (in comparison to the current history) and we are learning everyday of what injured (physically and mentally) members need to transition back into the civilian sector...

If I did not have faith in this progress forward, I would not be putting my degree in Aeronautical Engineering and a salary triple of what the military will be paying me; on to the back burning to go "embrace the suck" all over again.

Note that the V.A. said there was nothing to worry about (amoung the vets there is a saying that V.A. exists because they couldn't get us killed in battle and they want another chance) I'm collecting a 20 % disability and I'm PAYING it myself, they deduct it from my retirement and give it to V.A. who sends it to me, I guess i should be grateful they are'nt charging a handling and service fee. Only system in the world were the disabled have to pay themselfs.

Its been like this for years from the sounds of it. I remember seeing videos over a year ago of rats in VA hospital and absolutly bottom notch treatment. I don't think it is the government doing a bad job of health care, medicare functions much better, I think it is something wrong with the VA and military.

Its been like this for years from the sounds of it. I remember seeing videos over a year ago of rats in VA hospital and absolutly bottom notch treatment. I don't think it is the government doing a bad job of health care, medicare functions much better, I think it is something wrong with the VA and military.

I have only been to two VA hospitals, One which was in Battle Creek Michigan and the other was here in Portland. Both where spotless clean with top-notch service and care.

The hospital in Battle Creek was quick and easy, with wait times under an hour each time (emergency room) and easy appointment setting. However the Portland VA Medical center is over crowded and I have been to the emergency room twice; once for over two hours and the other pushing four.

I do not blame the wait on the employees, but the simple lack there of enough employees. When I did finish out the wait, the staff was caring, superb and took their time to find a route cause and properly diagnose my symptoms (torn muscle in back and pneumonia the second go around)...

The military doctors I encountered while active top notch and high caliber themselves, but I would suggest NOT having your teeth cleaned by an E-1, she tore my gums up and in turn, I rip her a new one and ended up having a LT finish up my exam/cleaning... :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top