JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok been thinking about the military for as long as I can remember but really was just in the mindset of getting a good job and making money after HS so it always remained only a thought. Well now with the recession hitting my job pretty hard the last couple years I'm taking a serious look at it now. Thing is, I'm married, have car payments, mortgage, and full time job so being a full time soldier won't work for me. So I've been looking at the Reserves and even went in to talk to the recruiter here in Mac today. Took the test and scored a 74 which the guy told me was one of the best scores he's seen and that I could pretty much go into any field I was interested in. It came down to either an MP or PsyOps. So basically just looking for any and all info for those of you have experience going through the reserves and what to be prepared for or think about should I decide to sign up. Another factor is I have to sign up for a minimum of 6 yrs which a lot could happen in that time.... So any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated as this is a big decision in my life. Thanks to all!:s0155:

have you talked to any national guard recruiters? Our standard contract is 3 years. More importantly , what do you want to do as a career after the military? Military Police is fine if you want to go into law enforcement in the future. If you want a more technical career like electronics or computer technology then I think the Air Force reserves or air national guard is the way to go. There is no better time to be in the military, there are lots of benefits especially if you serve overseas for any length of time. If you dont want to deploy then sign up with a guard unit like the 41st whose members are already over there and will be coming back. Its usually three years between deployments and will probably get longer with the drawdown of forces. If you want to go to college, then sign up for active duty. If you do three years of active duty now, you get a full ride to any public college in any state along with a housing allowance. It all depends on what you want to do. Feel free to pm me with any questions. I'm not a recruiter, just a Sgt who's been there done that and can give you options on how the military can work for you.

Thanks jordan! Well I've already got my career in place that I've been apprenticing for about 6 years so I'm not looking for a career change or going to school. I just wanted a way to get some extra cash on the side and at the same time join the military and serve while still keeping my private life going. So basically I was just looking at the jobs in the army that I would enjoy and fit me but not to necessarily pursue after the army. To be honest I haven't even looked into the national guard and I guess I don't really know anything about it. So I guess any info on the nat. guard would be good too... really appreciate it!

I am former Active Air force and after I got out I spent five years as a full time National Guard Unit Administrator and had my 'fingers' in all areas of the Battalion and Company. (HQ, 1-82D Cav (M) in Bend. If you have any specific questions PM me and I will try to clear some things up for you.

Like Jordan said I would suggest taking a look at the Oregon National Guard The are alot more job options local in the guard than in the reserves.
If you have questions please PM me and I can try to answer them.
J.P.

Ok been thinking about the military for as long as I can remember but really was just in the mindset of getting a good job and making money after HS so it always remained only a thought. Well now with the recession hitting my job pretty hard the last couple years I'm taking a serious look at it now. Thing is, I'm married, have car payments, mortgage, and full time job so being a full time soldier won't work for me. So I've been looking at the Reserves and even went in to talk to the recruiter here in Mac today. Took the test and scored a 74 which the guy told me was one of the best scores he's seen and that I could pretty much go into any field I was interested in. It came down to either an MP or PsyOps. So basically just looking for any and all info for those of you have experience going through the reserves and what to be prepared for or think about should I decide to sign up. Another factor is I have to sign up for a minimum of 6 yrs which a lot could happen in that time.... So any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated as this is a big decision in my life. Thanks to all!:s0155:

Make sure that if you are married that your wife and kids if you have any are in total agreement with you joining any military situation. The reserve is a great way to go but remember many reserist are currently service in war zones. Keeping this in mind, I would choose the Air Force Reserve or Air national Guard, but make sure you choose the career field that would best suit you in civilian employment, such as Air Police, computer stuff, medical field like X-Ray tech.
Now basic training is like boy scout training in the Air Force system, you get treated more like a human being and eat pretty good. Take a look at military.com and check out the pay charts also, can you live with the amount you'll get paid while in basic and advance training, it is not very much, so please take the money part in considerationtoo.
I once recruited an older guy and I helped prepare him for basic training, I made him run 4 miles everyday and do lots of push up and pull ups so taht he was in great shape when he reported for basic training, you need to do the same.

Make sure this is important to you and your family.

God Bless Our Troops
Master Sergeant

Dude, it's just like buying a car or a gun or anything else. The seller (recruiter) is not going to just hand you a bunch of extras, upgrades and add-ons for free. He wants to keep his costs down. But, listen to me, if you (the buyer) get with someone who knows their stuff you'll be able to walk out with a really sweet deal. Do not do anything until you've talked to one of these guys who has offered to help. Then spend like three days scouring every forum on the internet. Otherwise you'll be leaving money (bonuses, skills, extras) on the table. I guarantee it.

Dude, it's just like buying a car or a gun or anything else. The seller (recruiter) is not going to just hand you a bunch of extras, upgrades and add-ons for free. He wants to keep his costs down. But, listen to me, if you (the buyer) get with someone who knows their stuff you'll be able to walk out with a really sweet deal. Do not do anything until you've talked to one of these guys who has offered to help. Then spend like three days scouring every forum on the internet. Otherwise you'll be leaving money (bonuses, skills, extras) on the table. I guarantee it.

Absolutely! I'm right there with you all the way! I am in absolutely no rush and I am looking into every single detail that I can about all of this. Something else threw me for a loop as well today, and I feel stupid for not knowing, that there is a marine reserves as well. Had no idea. I always thought that if I was ever going to join the military it would be the marines. So now I'm really unsure because I'm looking into the army reserves, national guard, and marine reserves... But I'm definately not signing my life away until I know every detail of all these options. So I will be taking you guys up on your offer for counsel as I gather more questions.

Good for you man. That's the way to do it, check under every rock and don't take anything the recruiter says at face value unless there's written documentation. The recruiters are not inherently bad guys at all, BUT they are pressured by their superiors to get certain things done/quotas/slots/whatnot and they don't necessarily know or care particularly about what's important to you. Be completely clear and upfront about what you want. If they say no, then tell them you're going down the street to another recruiter. (There's a bunch in any metro-area.) They wise up real quick and you'll be amazed by what they can offer you. Good luck.

What is your chosen field of work? Do you want to use education benefits? Do you want to deploy to (????) for don't know how long? Depending on what your chosen field is maybe the CG might be an idea:). There are bases from PDX, Astoria, Cape Disappointment, Tillamook, North Bend, you probably get the point. There are a lot of options, just gotta see what you want to do and what you are qualified to do. The ASVAB test score of 74 is good, but depending on the "break down" it might not be. Just make sure to do the research and make sure to get the best job you qualify for, if scores need to be better, take it again. Just my :s0159:

I find it hard to believe that if your score was the highest that the recruiter has ever seen then playing a wanna be cop is at the top of the chart. He's just trying to fill a quota so don't fall for it. Search around and get the schools you want i.e. airborne, air assault in your contract or you won't get them.

I find it hard to believe that if your score was the highest that the recruiter has ever seen then playing a wanna be cop is at the top of the chart. He's just trying to fill a quota so don't fall for it. Search around and get the schools you want i.e. airborne, air assault in your contract or you won't get them.

Well first he said it was one of the highest scores he's seen but he also said he saw one guy get a 99 which is the highest score you can get. Second, the reason MP was an option was because I told him I was not looking to have an "office" job that if I was to ever get shipped out I want to be in the thick of the action. Thanks though for saying that because I realize I didn't put enough info into my question. Basically I'm not signing up for school or to try to get into a different line of work. I really just want to sign up for 1. Always wanted to serve my country 2. could use some extra money while things are slow 3. want to get the training that the military gives (i.e. survival/weapons/etc) 4. I think it might be something that I would really enjoy since I love guns, working out, hand to hand combat training, that kind of stuff. So I have 0% interest in going to school (I just about want to hang myself when I have to sit in a classroom:)) and I already have my career in place so not looking for any specific job training other than what would be my military job. Also, I hate heights so parachute stuff and air force are not something I'd even consider. And, finally, I'm not looking to get shipped overseas at all, as I want to stay here with my wife and family, but if I were to be deployed (which I know can definately come with this, obviously) I want to be right there with my military issued rifle, killing our enemies. So that's where I'm coming from, hope that helps with what I'd be looking for :s0155:

Good for you man. That's the way to do it, check under every rock and don't take anything the recruiter says at face value unless there's written documentation. The recruiters are not inherently bad guys at all, BUT they are pressured by their superiors to get certain things done/quotas/slots/whatnot and they don't necessarily know or care particularly about what's important to you. Be completely clear and upfront about what you want. If they say no, then tell them you're going down the street to another recruiter. (There's a bunch in any metro-area.) They wise up real quick and you'll be amazed by what they can offer you. Good luck.

I like that, thanks for the tip! It's almost like dealing with car salesmen... Well maybe not that bad...:D

I'm glad that serving your country was top on your criteria list. In these kinds of economic times and all, many people are flocking to the military to bail them out of their money-related issues. This means they may not necessarily have the interests of their country front and center in their thoughts or intents. Therefore it is extra important for people who do have the right convictions to be extra vigilant in keeping their eyes on the big prize; upholding and defending the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. Not to say that desperate people have ill will toward their country when they join, but when it comes to surviving the current money woes via military service, the oath that they swear might be more easily set aside for whatever condition(s) that suit them. Our country only exists when the Constitution is kept alive and functional.

Oregon law at ORS 336.057 (on the books since 1923) literally requires a MINIMUM of 5 years of education (8th grade to high school graduation) devoted EXCLUSIVELY to studying the Constitution. It also separately requires the same minimum standards for courses devoted EXCLUSIVELY to study US history (two separate, independent classes).

Sadly, public school curriculum policy-makers have made a tradition of overlooking this minimum lawful standard on Constitutional education and awareness. Therefore the vast majority of us have been "educated" to be essentially intellectually defenseless and fundamentally incompetent to swear an oath which requires us to defend something we know very little about. Hence our intuitive sense that things are very wrong but little concrete understanding of exactly what is going on in front of us. I expect that you value our nation under the Constitution. I just respectfully appeal to you to try to make it a personal goal to become an educated advocate of the Constitution so that only Constitutional orders are followed. To do that, one needs to be able to recognize unconstitutional orders when they are given and when those with lesser convictions serve to breed apathy for unconstitutional orders in those who do take their oath's' seriously. Thanks for your consideration and sorry for the windy input.

Call your local MRU (Marine Reserve Unit) and talk to the CMS (Command Sargent Major) and ask if you can spend a drill day witht he troops as a observer and talk to them.
Oh yeah insist that you go to boot at Parris Island in the summer time

I'm glad that serving your country was top on your criteria list. In these kinds of economic times and all, many people are flocking to the military to bail them out of their money-related issues. This means they may not necessarily have the interests of their country front and center in their thoughts or intents. Therefore it is extra important for people who do have the right convictions to be extra vigilant in keeping their eyes on the big prize; upholding and defending the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. Not to say that desperate people have ill will toward their country when they join, but when it comes to surviving the current money woes via military service, the oath that they swear might be more easily set aside for whatever condition(s) that suit them. Our country only exists when the Constitution is kept alive and functional.

Oregon law at ORS 336.057 (on the books since 1923) literally requires a MINIMUM of 5 years of education (8th grade to high school graduation) devoted EXCLUSIVELY to studying the Constitution. It also separately requires the same minimum standards for courses devoted EXCLUSIVELY to study US history (two separate, independent classes).

Sadly, public school curriculum policy-makers have made a tradition of overlooking this minimum lawful standard on Constitutional education and awareness. Therefore the vast majority of us have been "educated" to be essentially intellectually defenseless and fundamentally incompetent to swear an oath which requires us to defend something we know very little about. Hence our intuitive sense that things are very wrong but little concrete understanding of exactly what is going on in front of us. I expect that you value our nation under the Constitution. I just respectfully appeal to you to try to make it a personal goal to become an educated advocate of the Constitution so that only Constitutional orders are followed. To do that, one needs to be able to recognize unconstitutional orders when they are given and when those with lesser convictions serve to breed apathy for unconstitutional orders in those who do take their oath's' seriously. Thanks for your consideration and sorry for the windy input.

Couldn't agree with you more:s0155:. It's a different side of the coin for me on what you're saying because the recession/slow down has affected my interest in pursuing the military. It's not so much the money (since the reserves only make like 250 bucks a month after BT) but now that I'm slower at work I have the time to think about pursuing something that's always interested me. Whereas if I was still super busy, like a couple years ago, I wouldn't even have the time or desire to even think about the military. So I'm basically looking at this time as a good opportunity to be apart of something that helps preserve the rights that I love so deeply.:)

Call your local MRU (Marine Reserve Unit) and talk to the CMS (Command Sargent Major) and ask if you can spend a drill day witht he troops as a observer and talk to them.
Oh yeah insist that you go to boot at Parris Island in the summer time

Thank you I'm going to do just that! My desire has always been to join the marines so this would be an awesome opportunity if I could go spend a day with those guys. Appreciate the info!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top