JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was shut out of my AL account earlier today and had no idea why. I don't do anything I'm not supposed to there. I emailed asking what was the deal and received a generic response,

Welcome to the NEW Armslist.com. Due to circumstances beyond our control, we have had to move forward and take the site in a slightly different direction. Fortunately, despite this, we are working hard to make the site MUCH better for law abiding Americans, and MUCH worse for those that are not law abiding Americans. Scammers have tried to prey upon Armslist users in the past, and while we may not eradicate their presence 100%, we will eradicate the vast majority. People have complained of impolite offers and communications from users with bad manners. That will be nearly eradicated with the new version of the site. And lastly, the financial, emotional, human, and other costs of the never-ending legal assaults on Armslist have made it impossible for us to keep the site free in the way it was in the past. Thank you for your support, and welcome to the new Armslist.com.

I emailed again to clarify if free accounts will still exist and if not, how to proceed. This is what I got.

Private Party users will now require a paid account to list and contact sellers on the site.

I'm glad AL is doing something about scammers. I guess they think by charging either 3.99 a month for payment through ACH- directly from your account or 6.99 a month for CC payment will fix the issue. I doubt that scammers will want to use direct ACH account info to pay, so AL will make more off of the CC payment. Problem is prepaid cards are readily available, no ID or tracking to see who purchased them (or stole them in many cases). So from my view, it will be business as usual for the scammers, while regular people will just stop using the site.

AL has been mostly garbage for years. Thank God for NWFA

I'm honestly not surprised about this. Betting that Craigslist is going to do the same exact thing soon, and FB marketplace already asking for money to "boost" your ads :rolleyes: TacSwap requires a $5 one time fee for verification, and it seems decent, but not quite the same as Gunbroker or Armslist..

I think the bright side of that is fewer scammers. Scammers are less likely to give trackable payment info and pay for ads that will be deleted. I am sure they will find ways but it will be harder for them. Seems to be a big problem for Armslist.

Get ready for an influx of new users here. You can't even email a seller without paying? HUGE mistake... You can make the sellers pay to list, but buyers will go somewhere else.

1603403796308.png

Don't know why but when I look I get this just now:

A message from our CEO

created: 10/22/2020 6:24 PM in NEWS

Dear Armslist User,
I hope all is well.
You may be finding yourself having some difficulty navigating the site. We thank you for your patience as we upgrade our infrastructure in an effort to reduce scams, and improve the overall user experience. As you may know, we are facing yet another lawsuit from the anti-gunners at Brady United. In an effort to offset the mounting legal costs, we have created a new paid account type: The Premium Personal Program. While it's still in it's early stages, our roadmap for the program includes some exciting new characteristics for our users including exclusive discounts, exclusive deals, and a plethora of new site and account features in the months to come. If you'd like to give it a try, click here. You still are able and always will be able to browse the site for free.
Thank you again for your continued patience and support as we experience these growing pains. We hope to offer a vastly improved experience soon.
Best,
J. Gibbon

created: 10/22/2020 6:24 PM in NEWS

Yep. Craigslist made car adds cost something like $5/month/ listing. That sight is almost dead as most just went to Facebook marketplace, letgo, OfferUp, etc.

I haven't used Armslist in a long time, and I can't say I'll miss it. I do miss Craigslist though for cars, motorcycles, and other fun motorized vehicles.

It also might be a good time to require some sort of hoop to jump through to post adds on this sight. I know Joe has been opposed to this idea in the past, but with Armslist going the route it is, it will attract unwanted traffic to this wonderful place.

Requiring a bronze membership would be a great way to filter out the undesirables and bring in some revenue.

I'd always support a membership model for sellers. Maybe 1 listing free for everyone... I don't want the guy who only goes through his parts bin every 5 years not to share the goodies here...but it'd keep the listings from getting overwhelming.

We'll have to see what the traffic looks like in the next few days.

It also might be a good time to require some sort of hoop to jump through to post adds on this sight. I know Joe has been opposed to this idea in the past, but with Armslist going the route it is, it will attract unwanted traffic to this wonderful place.

Requiring a bronze membership would be a great way to filter out the undesirables and bring in some revenue.
Certainly could not hurt. I have an AL account I have not used in a long time. When I was just looking at it I did not log in, just wanted to see what the free side looked like. Seems to be a hell of a lot of stuff in my area. A LOT of ammo listed of course. It will be interesting to see if it works for them. If it does could not hurt for this site to give it a try to weed out the people who are just ruin it for everyone else.

Certainly could not hurt. I have an AL account I have not used in a long time. When I was just looking at it I did not log in, just wanted to see what the free side looked like. Seems to be a hell of a lot of stuff in my area. A LOT of ammo listed of course. It will be interesting to see if it works for them. If it does could not hurt for this site to give it a try to weed out the people who are just ruin it for everyone else.

Sure, browsing is free, but you can't email the seller without paying... Not good for sellers

Sure, browsing is free, but you can't email the seller without paying... Not good for sellers
The reason I gave up selling both here and AL was just that. Got tired of the e-mails from people who were just wasting my time and pulled the ads.
Only time will tell. AL doing it makes a good way for this site to see how it works. If it does they can try. If AL suddenly has no traffic? Then they can say, well guess that didn't work. :cool:
I have a couple guns I wanted to unload. May toss a few bucks at AL and give it another try.

Just deleted the bookmark for it. I would be willing to pay a fee to list something, but not an ongoing monthly fee. Also it's ridiculous to have to pay to contact a seller.

They will probably lose all their sellers except for their premium vendors.

I think Joe should start charging a fee here for non-supporting members.

I use this great site called NWFA for all my dealings! Free account but, since they give me so much, I like to kick into the kitty sometimes.:D

Last Edited:
The whole upgrade thing on AL isnt really well thought out. Everyone that had a free account is not only shut out of responding to ads, but also unable to get into our own ads. I could see charging to list items, but not to respond to ads. It is still possible to reply to vendors, but to be honest, I don't think I ever dealt with one through AL anyway. Too many good dealers locally to deal with to bother with that. AL just made itself immediately irrelevant to most of the gun community.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top