JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
More power to them, they are the militia as it should be perceived. This news report was a positively glowing account of volunteer groups of black residents "armed with long rifles" providing security in their neighborhoods in a way designed "not to incite violence, but to protect innocent people". I applaud their effort as well as their apparent success. It is a super example of community members taking care of their own community in a way that police cannot, simply because police officers are too few in number and paid for a more narrowly defined mission.

With that said, the cynic in me can't help but speculate that if exactly this same activity were to be carried out by groups of men and women with lighter complexions hitting the streets in their own neighborhoods, the reporter's story line would have been phrased more like 'white militia members armed with assault rifles endangering ordinary, law-abiding citizens and alarming the police'.

And that really bums me out.

Last Edited:
More power to them, they are the militia as it should be perceived. This news report was a positively glowing account of volunteer groups of black residents "armed with long rifles" providing security in their neighborhoods in a way designed "not to incite violence, but to protect innocent people". I applaud their effort as well as their apparent success. It is a super example of community members taking care of their own community in a way that police cannot, simply because police officers are too few in number and paid for a more narrowly defined mission.

With that said, the cynic in me can't help but speculate that if exactly this same activity were to be carried out by groups of men and women with lighter complexions hitting the streets in their own neighborhoods, the reporter's story line would have been phrased more like 'white militia members armed with assault rifles endangering ordinary, law-abiding citizens and alarming the police'.

According to upcoming Oregon legislation this would all be entirely illegal.

Black supremacists?

I don't care what complexion they are, I'm glad people are stepping up to protect their communities. Stories like this help raise awareness to non-gun folks and demonstrate how 2A is still relevant and necessary in today's society. Props to them for stepping up; hope they're getting training on how to respond when bad guys are willing to fight back.

While I wholly support what they are doing, I noticed the "reporter" couldn't help getting in a Black Panther reference, complete with picture.

As far as other groups doing something similar, do you recall the Guardian Angels when they came to Portland?? They didn't exactly receive a warm welcome from the city. They are well-respected in many other cities and countries however.

The comparison to the Black Panthers is historically dumb, as I see the article author drawing the comparison just based on guns.
Black Panthers first started out to protect their communities, provide meals and family support - not as gov handouts, but as a source of community self sufficiency. Dot-gov co-opted many of those programs and turned them into entitlements creating dependency, and perpetuating the multi-generational cycle we see today.
However, the Panthers splintered and became more militant, following CA police around with weapons to prevent the "brutalizing of black men", it became the unspoken seed for the Gun Control Act of 1968. Given Michigan's slide into hair-on-fire gun control, this group's efforts may have unintended consequences.
The first picture of the article, taken in Detroit, is about 5 blocks from where my mother last lived before we moved her out of Detroit.

Your cynical take is, in fact, 100% how it would be.

Couple things.....
It is NOT legal to open carry in Meatchicken...there is nothing in the laws to prohibit it, save some, er, ridiculous restrictions.
About ten years ago I was driving through Detoilet for the first time on several years...I actually exclaimed out loud, to my self, "Where'd all these white people come from?!?!".

Joe

I reread the article and noticed something interesting... There was a picture of the group members standing there, one armed with an AR rifle, another with a braced AR pistol, yet there was not a single gratuitous mention of semi-automatic assault weapons or mass shootings. Any reference to firearms was generic - "guns", "long rifles", etc. Hmmmmm. I wonder why that is?

I strongly support gun rights for all. And considering many of the erosions of American gun rights are due to the majority's fear of minority gun ownership (ever wonder why California actually has such restrictive gun rights?), more power to em!

In for a penny, in for a pound.

I have no problem with this. If it was me, and my family or neighborhood, I would do it. I'm lucky to have been able to move away from a crime ridden city (Portland OR) but many do not have that option. The lack of police protection is a result of other issues, but protection and self protection is a right we all (here) believe in and espouse. Its wrong for them to use them offensively, just like it would be for us. Maybe they will be more inclined to support the 2A.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top