JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's a reason why, in training, you're dead if you do it the way our good guy did.

Training scenarios are based on real life events. He did good, probably better than most average Joes would have, but he still got lucky.

A shotgun at that range is far more likely to put you down than the handgun at it's range.

The fact that you survived doesn't necessarily mean you operated the way you should have.

There is also a major lesson we must teach our spouses and kids in these situations. My youngest who is my sidekick and rolls with me deep in any project knows... dad says go or if dad uncovers his pistol... get down or get out of there if he can. Also to cover eyes and ears until I get him up or police do.

This is as real as it gets. I carry every damn day. There are crazies as we know, it's not if we run into them but when.

Break off from me as soon as you perceive a threat or I tell you. Seek to get away, or seek cover if that is not possible. Do not come to me or to my body. Ever.

Every situation is different and there is no standard response to something like this. Far too many variables. You will need to assess and make a decision quickly while it's going down.

Dyjital was talking about the instructions you give to your loved ones if you carry. I was simply sharing some of mine...
  • I'm right handed so try to stay on my left
  • When we go to a restaurant, I get the seat that has the best view of the door/restaurant
  • If SHTF, move away from me as quickly as possible as there's a really good chance that rounds will be coming my way. Standing anywhere near me is not the place to be if that occurs
  • Your one and only job is to get yourself and your sister to safety. Run and escape if you can. Find cover if you can't
  • Again, your only job is to get to safety. Do not come to me. Do not come to my body. Get to safety
Etc.

Dyjital was talking about the instructions you give to your loved ones if you carry. I was simply sharing some of mine...
  • I'm right handed so try to stay on my left
  • When we go to a restaurant, I get the seat that has the best view of the door/restaurant
  • If SHTF, move away from me as quickly as possible as there's a really good chance that rounds will be coming my way. Standing anywhere near me is not the place to be if that occurs
  • Your one and only job is to get yourself and your sister to safety. Run and escape if you can. Find cover if you can't
  • Again, your only job is to get to safety. Do not come to me. Do not come to my body. Get to safety
Etc.

That was way more coherent;).

In the vid, assuming I was not frozen, I would have run at the guy with the pistol, put two in his back and grabbed him around the neck to swing him around for the shotgun blast. That's the way they do it on TV, right? ;)

Nobody knows what the shot guy is doing off camera. Most likely he was a greedy bastard and did not want his homeboy to get more loot than him. He probably had his weak hand off the shotgun pawing some dudes pockets.

The shooter saw that, and based on his moves he had better than average training, he knew he had the time to do the pistol guy first, that shot gun dude was not going to be able to get weak hand back on, probably had loot in it, and come to shoulder and that gave him the extra half a second he needed to engage the pistol first. Both the robbers had their heads away from him and the shot gun guy was in the right position or stance so he took the shot. Ballsy shot but it worked out.

The perps did not rehearse that robbery at all, their roles were not defined , but what do you expect from dumb azz criminals.

Another thing to consider is the possibility of going at it with shotgun guy. Look how close he gets with that barrel to people, have any of you tried to hold onto a long object like that and have someone else try to take it from you? Long guns=leverage for taking it away (hence the need for slings). Pouncing on him and twisting it out could be a viable option IF the opportunity presented itself. Handgun guy would likely just run once the shotgun is fired in panic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top