JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lesson: don't rob the Awful Waffle, you might get more than you bargained for.

The best part of the story, good guy followed the bad guy outside... "hey you", bad guy turns around... Bang, bang, bang... Bad guy laying in the ground. Good guy has presence of mind to be sure he didn't shoot the bad guy in the back.

Talk about taking out the trash... And he didn't even mess up the Waffle House!

The best part of the story, good guy followed the bad guy outside... "hey you", bad guy turns around... Bang, bang, bang... Bad guy laying in the ground. Good guy has presence of mind to be sure he didn't shoot the bad guy in the back.

Right, its almost text book: Rule one: don't shoot 'em in the back. Rule two: "I feared for the safety of my self/family".

I read somewhere that he got a call from his wife that she was almost there and he realized she would quite possibly run right into the robber. Easy enough to articulate.

I read somewhere that he got a call from his wife that she was almost there and he realized she would quite possibly run right into the robber. Easy enough to articulate.
Even without that call, the shooting was justified. A man who has just committed an armed robbery with an AK-47 poses a lethal threat to anyone he encounters and needs to be stopped by any means necessary.

Sad situation but too bad. The guy was old enough to know better but he did what he did and now he is on life support. The civil side of me is like.... let justice take care of him, assuming he makes it. The hood side of me is like... well there is really no justice as we witnessed with FBI and Hillary and the laws only apply to US not them.... just-US not justice, but I digress. So my hood side would say, oh well he deserved it and someone should have given the bad guy a curb stump on the back of the head (American history X style) after he was shot.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I am not in charge to make a call on this situation and I just hope that the right thing is done at the end. Also, good for that responsible citizen dealing with such a horrible situation and carrying.

If they have just committed an armed robbery using an AK 47 I would not hesitate to shoot them in the back.

Oh absolutely, but from a legal standpoint shooting someone in the back, even a bad guy, can potentially turn self defense into something else entirely.

In any case, I just read (though did not look up the statute or w/e to confirm) that in Texas you can legally shoot a fleeing person if they are still in possession of the stolen goods.

What baffles me is that even though this isn't the first time a situation like this has happened, Waffle House still stands by their gun free decision.

Edited to add: see sec. 9.42 - PENAL CODE CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY (http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads