JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Military isn't going to "switch back."

The mix of extremely increased capacity and NATO standards will keep us at 9mm for quite a while. We could break away from NATO if we wanted to, but why bother? Handguns play an extremely small roll in the military.

The minimal amount of advantage a single round of 45acp has over 9mm (and even this is debatable) is far exceeded by the advantages of using 9mm in a modern firearm. 45 may have a slight advantage in a one-shot scenario but we don't carry single-shot firearms anymore ;)

45 works fine, I'm sure, but the military switched for a reason (and here's the kicker: it wasn't because of NATO).

It's just a simple fact of technological advancement. Old stuff works, old stuff was good back in its prime, but the world moves on. For civilian carry purposes, pretty much any caliber is great, but the needs of the military more or less evolved into wanting a lethal round with high capacity, hence we get firearms like the Beretta.

Honestly, if 45 double-stacks weren't so ungodly uncomfortable (for most shooters) then I know we probably would still have that.

9mm was adopted because it was the NATO standard. The Beretta is an excelent, durable and accurate pistol, though large and heavy for a 9mm. Yes, I own one (along with 6 other pistols). There are probably more choices in 9mm than any other caliber; and the ammo is cheap. Some lament the loss of the 1911 .45 ACP, and I won't argue that, but the Beretta has served the military well. The main competition for the Beretta was the Sig P226, which is also excellent. But there are many other fine 9mms out there.

If I was able to have everything that I wanted, I would prefer the .45ACP.

However, as things worked out, I ended up with a 9mm. One thing good about the 9mm is that ammo is less expensive (I hate the word "cheaper"). That way you can practice more. For serious business I use Hornady's Critical Defense loads. Supposedly, that makes the 9mm a little more equal. Is that enough? I hope that I never have to find out.

If I was able to have everything that I wanted, I would prefer the .45ACP.

However, as things worked out, I ended up with a 9mm. One thing good about the 9mm is that ammo is less expensive (I hate the word "cheaper"). That way you can practice more. For serious business I use Hornady's Critical Defense loads. Supposedly, that makes the 9mm a little more equal. Is that enough? I hope that I never have to find out.

Nothing wrong with 9mm, I just perfer 45 ACP, and 1911's are my favorite shooters. You can get them chambered in 9mm now a days you know if you want. As for 9mm being cheaper to practice with goes... Yes it is however I find my Ruger 22/45 to be a very good simulation of a 1911 except for the recoil and 22lr is darn inexpensive. Additionally I reload 45 ACP which means it's cheaper for me to shoot 45 ACP then it is for you to shoot 9mm. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top