JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank you for posting that. I found it interesting that:

• Private citizen justifiable homicide numbers were 64% of the number of justifiable homicides by law enforcement. i would have thought that law enforcement commit far more justifiable homicides, but I guess that justifiable homicides by citizens are likely to be covered far less in the press than those committed by law enforcement
  • The ratio of handgun usage vs. rifle and shotgun also surprised me. Citizense were 20 times more likely to use a handgun, while LEOs were only 6 times more likely to use a handgun. And yet LEOs walk around with pistols every day and only use rifles in felony / violent crime interventions
  • If there are 276 instances in one year, against 16 million estimated licensed firearm owners, it means one's chance is 1 in 58,000 of using a firearm in a justifiable homicide situation, inside of one year. That excludes justifiable use of force that did not result in a death; that would be more likely, and would be a higher likelihood of occurrence
This data is almost a year old though; I would like to see data from 2017, though I wouldn't expect it to vary significantly from the multi-year trend that the prior data demonstrates.

This data is almost a year old though; I would like to see data from 2017, though I wouldn't expect it to vary significantly from the multi-year trend that the prior data demonstrates.

It takes time to compile, check and cross check data. Most stats for 2017 are incomplete since it just finished. That is why most reports use the previous year's complete and checked data. I would not trust any 2017 data until at least 1/2 of 2018 has passed, unless it is a comparison of beginning 2016 to beginning 2017.

*Sorry, teacher mode* :oops: We are just starting to cover this in my stats class.

It takes time to compile, check and cross check data. Most stats for 2017 are incomplete since it just finished. That is why most reports use the previous year's complete and checked data. I would not trust any 2017 data until at least 1/2 of 2018 has passed, unless it is a comparison of beginning 2016 to beginning 2017.

*Sorry, teacher mode* :oops: We are just starting to cover this in my stats class.

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Every elected politician whose bent on taking away Second Amendment Rights should be forced to read and comprehend this information.

But they won't, they only focus on those who line their pockets and their election coffers...

The experiment in taking away all civilian-owned guns under the guise of safeguarding the security of the individual citizen, ensuring that only the military and police had them, has been tried in the recent past.

That experiment lasted from late 1933 until May 8th, 1945, and cost the world around 40 million lives.

We are still living with the legacy of that experiment today, over seventy-five years later.

A question for you, bearing in mind that I'm a remote student of the Constitution, but nevertheless an expert in languages.

How can a basic RIGHT be taken away?

It is either a RIGHT, or it is not. Here in UK, and in every other so-called civilised nation that has some form or other of constitution, ownership of a firearm is a privilege that has to be earned by living in accordance with the law, and, often paid for in hard-earned money.

You get all this for nothing, because your founding fathers considered it to be a basic human right.

Those people seeking to deprive you of that basic right have a name - that name is tyrant, and its ethos is tyranny.

tac

Sadly, you would need a VERY long shovel to unearth the remains of the British Bill of Rights of 1689.

It has been eroded so much by successive governmental 'modifications' and 'this no longer applies' censoring that, in truth, it no longer exists as such.

All is not lost, however. Here we retain the right to self-defence, albeit in a 'considered and equable form'. How considered or equable that might turn out to be after you've taken a handy food-mixer to the head of a burglar, or a trusty wall-hanger spear to somebody who should not be in your house is up to a jury to decide. An acquaintance of mine had a hard time in court after an attempted car-jacking went badly wrong for the would-be car thief. Alan reached past him into the open trunk and pulled out a handy Louisville slugger, which he then applied with great enthusiasm to the wannabe thief. Alan had a number of things on his side in a trial that accused him of causing grievous bodily harm.

1. He runs a little league in a group of local schools - hence the presence of a baseball bat that not many other people would have in their car trunk without arousing suspicion.

2. The miscreant was armed with a two-foot long crowbar.

3. Alan had his two daughters with him, and he rightly feared for their safety.

4. The criminal was six feet and three inches - Alan is five feet nine inches, just on the lower height limit for his profession of police officer.

5. The criminal, aged around 35, had been a criminal since age 12, with over 300 [yes, read it again, 300] ticks in the naughty box.

You'll be heartened to know that Alan walked out of the courtroom door, and Mr Criminal hobbled to the cells for 18 months.

I suppect that in the USA he would have gone away forever, having been shot dead by the legally-armed Alan.

tac

The experiment in taking away all civilian-owned guns under the guise of safeguarding the security of the individual citizen, ensuring that only the military and police had them, has been tried in the recent past.

That experiment lasted from late 1933 until May 8th, 1945, and cost the world around 40 million lives.

We are still living with the legacy of that experiment today, over seventy-five years later.

A question for you, bearing in mind that I'm a remote student of the Constitution, but nevertheless an expert in languages.

How can a basic RIGHT be taken away?

It is either a RIGHT, or it is not. Here in UK, and in every other so-called civilised nation that has some form or other of constitution, ownership of a firearm is a privilege that has to be earned by living in accordance with the law, and, often paid for in hard-earned money.

You get all this for nothing, because your founding fathers considered it to be a basic human right.

Those people seeking to deprive you of that basic right have a name - that name is tyrant, and its ethos is tyranny.

tac
:s0101:

Spent Time in South Africa. There were lots of Afrikaner jokes, the most of them were pretty racist. They did have a set of jokes about the dumb South African bore Koos van de Merve. Those are pretty funny sometimes.

Afrikaners are what you get when you add sunlight to Dutch

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads