JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I say pistol, I mean something like a .22 pistol - like a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mk IV or S&W Victory.

When I say 'arm brace' I don't mean something like a Roni stabilizer.

What I am looking for is something lightweight, that won't add a lot of bulk, but will stabilize a person's grip/stance/aim when shooting something like a lightweight rimfire pistol. Something that would approach what a rifle would provide with regard to accuracy while hunting small game.

I am aware that I am unlikely to find something that would adapt an SB Tactical brace to a 'real' pistol, and I am not really looking for that - although I would maybe be interested in seeing how it worked. Also, I am unlikely to find something that attaches permanently like the 'arm braces' for AR pistols.

But am I missing something more purpose made for pistols?

Years ago back in the 90's. A guy at a local gun shop came up with an interesting idea. The ATF rule states that a pistol can not have a stock permanently attached with out a stamp and paper work. So what he did was he made a stiff wire or rod frame in the shape of a stock. Then in the front he had 4 small extensions going forward that would wrap around both sides of the handgun grip. To keep it in place. You just wrapped your hand around the stock and the grip. Suprisingly it work very well and was not attached to the handgun. Kinda like the stocks for the Glocks that fit inside of the hand grip but not attached. I remembered that and have always wanted to make one.

Ever see the rifle stock Crosman makes that fits some of their air pistols? Don't know how they define "permanently attached", but those stocks simply go on in place of the regular grip scales, wrapping around the frame. Kind of turns the pistols into an ultra-carbine. Seems like something similar should be doable for a firearm, especially a rimfire pistol. The other thing I've seen done is a wire frame with a mount that just clamps around the pistol grip. Check out the Crosman forum, lots of ideas there. Airgun Artisans would be another source of ideas, assuming the web site is still there, I haven't looked in ages. Again, all this would be dependent on how the ATF defines permanently attached. Later.

Dave

I'm not sure I'd intentionally use a handgun to do the job of a rifle, but I really liked the use of the detachable stock used by Colonel Mortimer in For a Few Dollars More. It is supposedly mated to a Buntline Special, which exists mostly as folklore as far as I can tell. Here is a clip from the movie. Clint Eastwood was the star, but Lee Van Cleef has the most toys!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top