1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Arizona lawmakers OK bill allowing guns on campus

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Chee-to, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Arizona lawmakers OK bill allowing guns on campus - USATODAY.com

PHOENIX (AP) — A proposal to let people have guns while driving or walking through state university and community college campuses cleared its final hurdle in the Arizona Legislature on Thursday.
    The House passed the bill on a 33-24 vote, which will send it to Gov. Jan Brewer.

The Senate previously approved the measure, after watering it down to no longer allow guns inside campus buildings. But the bill still sparked sharp debate before Thursday's House vote.

State Rep. Bob Robson said guns on campuses are a bad idea because students and others experience such emotional highs and lows due to grades, exams and other circumstances.

"To make it that you could walk up to the door of an education institution (with a gun) makes no sense to me," he said.

But supporters said the bill would help people defend themselves from gun violence by someone who won't heed a campus's firearms ban.

"I find it hard to believe that on universities it just becomes a bubble — that somehow you're drastically protected when you enter the campus," Democratic Rep. David Gowan said.

The Texas Senate on Thursday cut off debate on a broader campus-guns bill that, like the original Arizona measure, would allow holders of concealed-weapons permits to carry concealed weapons in classrooms.

If the Texas legislation passes, the state would become the second, following Utah, to pass such a broad-based law. Colorado gives colleges the option to allow handguns.
  2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

I am hoping that these measures pass, it would help to end the gun-free zone violence overnight!
  3. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Israel used to have a lot of shootings and hostage situations. They cured it by arming the teachers and allowing the students to bring their weapons to school, some were fully automatic. Since then there hasn't been ONE successful hostage situation.

But of course you'll never see that in our press here!!

Another time a young mother was taking her tots to school, she saw a man in a doorway frantically working on wires under his clothing. She drew her .45 and held him till security forces arrived. The news story here said that security forces had detained him, no mention of the 24 yr old mother's actions.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
    Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
    John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    Washington Arms Collector member
  4. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Excellent, now students may have the same right to LIFE and liberty as everyone else out there in AZ
  6. WIRED tactical

WIRED tactical Snohomish County, WA Member

Good for them. Its cool to see that some other states are passing this law.

Im up at Western Washington University and we have a small (very small) group of people that are pushing for this. Empty holster protest was last week...

There is a thread on the WWU forum about this and I either laugh or shake my head at the majority of posters opinions or incorrect facts they present. I believe you can still read the forum without being a student: Weapons on Campus--Scary! | Viking Village: Western's Online Forum
  7. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

Jesus, these "adults" are the future of this country? We are SOOOOOOOOO bubblegumED! "Being a MAist......well, I'm a FENCER......I shouldn't have to protect myself....." How have people like this not been picked off by natural selection? I thought LCC was Libtarded, but apparently WWU is far beyond that.