JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wanted to share to others looking or interested in applying for an Arizona CCW. I attended an Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit course yesterday in Kent, WA, thru an Arizona CWP instructor, Rick Walker. It is a 6 hour class that covers handgun basics, concealed carry and few topics about firearm laws. By the way, you do not need to possess a Washington state concealed pistol license in order to take this class. I already have a WA and OR CCW but I think it would be nice to have an Arizona CWP since it is valid in 32 States. If I'm not mistaken, with WA, OR and AZ, will cover 39 States.

Great to share a recommendation and edorsement of instructor Rick Walker and your personal experience.

Anyone have recomendations for similar course, locations or instructors for AZ CCW training delivered in Portland (with gas prices even better: Beaverton/Hillsboro area)? I travel to WA often and want to get AZ as WA is included.

Great to share a recommendation and edorsement of instructor Rick Walker and your personal experience.

Anyone have recomendations for similar course, locations or instructors for AZ CCW training delivered in Portland (with gas prices even better: Beaverton/Hillsboro area)? I travel to WA often and want to get AZ as WA is included.

WA doesn't recognize AZ permits. Concealed Weapon Reciprocity If you're looking for a state that has reciprocity with WA, FL and UT are a couple that are popular. There's a lot of UT classes.

If you've taken a class for an OR CHL it probably satisfies AZ requirements for training. I believe it would for FL as well but I've never looked that far into it.

Here's a couple sections of their law related to training for AZ.
Format Document
6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:
(a) A current or expired permit issued by the department of public safety pursuant to this section.
(b) An original or copy of a certificate, card or document that shows the applicant has ever completed any course or class prescribed by subsection N of this section or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club or organization that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the applicant's completion of the course or class.
(c) An original or a copy of a United States department of defense form 214 (DD-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of the applicant's current or former service in the United States armed forces as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 5 of this section.(d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:
1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.
2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.
3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.
5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.
6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.
7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

AZ does not require a CHL to carry. My brother has a gun shop in SE AZ. But one of their permits is required for one of their residents to have reciprocity with a state that recognizes an AZ permit.

I was told as a visitor to the state I could carry as well without a permit.

Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit

I understand you still need a permit to carry in a bar or some other estabilzments that prohibit open carry.

So if that is the case why is there still a class and permit fee for AZ? I heard they considered a change, but it just seems odd everyone is still teaching classes and AZ is giving out permits if they are no longer needed?

Just for restaurants and bars?

So if that is the case why is there still a class and permit fee for AZ? I heard they considered a change, but it just seems odd everyone is still teaching classes and AZ is giving out permits if they are no longer needed?

Just for restaurants and bars?

Good questions. Putting myself in their shoes (Residents of Arizona), I guess my main reason to get a CCW is for me to be able to CC in other States that recognizes Arizona's CCW. Likewise, in my case a non-resident of Arizona, although my WA CCW is recognized in AZ, I would like to have those States I don't have in my WA CCW, like Nevada.

Rick I know also trains out of The Marksman in Tacoma. I know he does the AZ class there, as well as other courses.

Yes, Rick mentioned during the class that he trains in other Shooting Clubs/Gun Stores, even private classes. I'm just not sure if he is willing to travel to Oregon to do the same. The other AZ certified training class that I know in Oregon is in Aurora. Let me know if you're interested, I can PM his contact # and address.

Good questions. Putting myself in their shoes (Residents of Arizona), I guess my main reason to get a CCW is for me to be able to CC in other States that recognizes Arizona's CCW. Likewise, in my case a non-resident of Arizona, although my WA CCW is recognized in AZ, I would like to have those States I don't have in my WA CCW, like Nevada.

I had planned to take a AZ class next month, Last I checked we did not have reciprocity with AZ?

Now if AZ has dropped permit requirements than it is a moot point. But I am just a bit confused, I will be flying to AZ friday, bringing my weapon to shoot in the desert, didn't plan on carrying, but be nice to know if I can legally without AZ permit, or with my WA CPL.
Concealed Weapon Reciprocity

I had planned to take a AZ class next month, Last I checked we did not have reciprocity with AZ?

Now if AZ has dropped permit requirements than it is a moot point. But I am just a bit confused, I will be flying to AZ friday, bringing my weapon to shoot in the desert, didn't plan on carrying, but be nice to know if I can legally without AZ permit, or with my WA CPL.

WA residents need a WA CPL in WA. They won't recognize out of state ones issued to a resident. WA doesn't recognize the AZ CWP.

Short answer is yes you can carry in AZ and they do honor the WA CPL.

AZ doesn't require a permit for carry in most places and honors all other states permits. Pretty simple standard to meet too. Concealed Weapons Reciprocal and Recognition Agreements - Arizona Department of Public Safety
Arizona and any political subdivisions of Arizona shall recognize a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state if both:
  1. The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state
  2. The permit or license holder is all of the following:
    • Legally present in this state
    • Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state

I checked the link that you've provided. Looks like it was last updated 8/16/11

Take a look at these links:

Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

WA doesn't recognize AZ permits. Concealed Weapon Reciprocity If you're looking for a state that has reciprocity with WA, FL and UT are a couple that are popular. There's a lot of UT classes.

If you've taken a class for an OR CHL it probably satisfies AZ requirements for training. I believe it would for FL as well but I've never looked that far into it.

Drew, Thanks for catching that. Yes, I meant UT for WA reciprocity, not AZ.

I just moved here to AZ about 8 months ago. You can concealed carry without a CHL most places down here except for a bar or places that say no firearms. I got me CWP down here because it does allow me to carry in a bar as long as I am not drinking, and I can carry in other states that recognize AZ, but the biggest reason is down here with a CWP you go into a gun shop fill out the paperwork show them the CWP and leave... No phone call or anything for CWP holders when purchasing firearms. I LOVE IT DOWN HERE :)

Rick I know also trains out of The Marksman in Tacoma. I know he does the AZ class there, as well as other courses.

I'm lost about the Az. class from my understand a simple hunter safety class and be eligible to own a gun will satisfy Az. cc requirement please correct me if I am wrong

I was looking at a Nv. ccw it looks like it's every bit as good as an Az. ccw but your also allowed to carry in Nv. someone please correct me if I am misunderstanding what I read.

I was looking at a Nv. ccw it looks like it's every bit as good as an Az. ccw but your also allowed to carry in Nv. someone please correct me if I am misunderstanding what I read.

NV honors the AZ permit. If I recall correctly, NV has a live fire requirement which will probably require taking a class in NV. I don't think the NV permit is honored in as many states. Check out http://handgunlaw.us.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top