JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had the same response in a forum I used to frequent, when someone asked the forum about it's thoughts on "universal healthcare". When I shared my thoughts in as rational a form as I could, I was attacked as an unfeeling uncaring a****** who wanted sick people to die. I left that forum shortly after - they were supposed to be a forum where people didn't attack others, but apparently that only worked if you went along with the majority.

Oh, like the DNC? Imagine THAT!! :rolleyes:

I had the same response in a forum I used to frequent, when someone asked the forum about it's thoughts on "universal healthcare". When I shared my thoughts in as rational a form as I could, I was attacked as an unfeeling uncaring a****** who wanted sick people to die. I left that forum shortly after - they were supposed to be a forum where people didn't attack others, but apparently that only worked if you went along with the majority.

Yeah, this particular person is always posting up stuff that could be controversial, then threatening to defriend anyone who doesn't exactly agree with her. Tell us that we need to be tolerant of transgender people and what bathroom they use, but if you don't agree, then be gone with you! Asked her about her intolerance to people who don't agree with her, she just said she doesn't have time for people like that.

Oh, like the DNC? Imagine THAT!! :rolleyes:

I am used to it. I've been debating politics and discussing other topics on the internet since the days before the internet (on BBSs). Over the years I have learned to be calm, rational and I have honed my debating skills.

But at a certain point I cam to the conclusion that it was mostly a waste of time because:

1) Nobody wants to hear it. They like to argue, not debate.

2) Very few people, probably less than 1%, have learned how to think rationally - much less express themselves rationally - on controversial issues. My profession - software engineering - demands a certain skill at thinking rationally, so I know from experience that some people can do this, some of the time. But when it comes to controversial issues, that part of the brain seems to simply switch off and they react emotionally. Indeed, most of the time, most people don't think, they feel.

It is hard to think. It is much easier to just react to something emotionally.

When someone then responds with logic and rational assertions, then they are labelled as uncaring and unable to feel.

3) There are a number of people, often in positions of power, or who need/want to influence the populace, who understand these aspects of human nature, and who are adept at manipulating the populace. Both major political parties know this is the root of their power. This election cycle is a very apt demonstration of that fact.

Just had a run-in with a friend of a friend on Facebook over this. It was about the sit-in they were doing, and I was wondering why the Dems are always saying we need more gun control laws, but as soon as a Republican put one up, they vote it down. By the end, I was labeled as someone completely against gun control (something I never said), and because of that, I was fine with future mass shootings. I brought up valid pints, and they either ignored them completely, or spun the words around backwards. I have screencaps of the entire conversation if anyone is interested.
Can't debate with someone who has a closed mind. Between Hollywood, the news media and our liberal politicians, gun owners and those who are pro gun are painted as the enemy... When were the one that are actually keeping the veneer of genteel behavior on society...

Can you imagine if this was April 1775, they'd all roll over and pay homage to the King... Oh wait, they already are...

Can't debate with someone who has a closed mind. Between Hollywood, the news media and our liberal politicians, gun owners and those who are pro gun are painted as the enemy... When were the one that are actually keeping the veneer of genteel behavior on society...

Can you imagine if this was April 1775, they'd all roll over and pay homage to the King... Oh wait, they already are...

So true. The whole conversation started when I asked why the Dems DIDN'T vote for some gun control bills, and by the end, I'M the one who's anti gun control. Hail Hydra!:rolleyes:

Yep. Its all about the money.
"I don't like guns , violence , the military ... Oh wait I can make a bucket load of cash with my movie using the very things I dislike ... Sign me up!"
Andy

Anyone who comes out as wanting to ban gun and does shoot-em-up movies, I try to boycott anything they do. It's hard, though, because that covers some much of Hollywood. Vince Vaughn is all good, though, he's pro concealed carry.

or they are in such a literal rage that they are blind to what you are saying.
This would describe my ultra liberal cousin to a 'T'. The following is a message he sent me the other day. I did not respond as he was just 'baiting' me into an argument.
Damn Republican congress, stopping any regulations on gun control. Just what the he11 is wrong with them?

I hear you Hrethgir.
Stallone really bothers me as well.
Fakes mental illness to get out of VietNam ... Goes on to play a war hero who earned the highest medal awarded , in a war which he avoided.
Can't stand folks like him.
Andy

This would describe my ultra liberal cousin to a 'T'. The following is a message he sent me the other day. I did not respond as he was just 'baiting' me into an argument.
The correct reply to your cousin would be, "yes the republicans voted down the democrats proposals because they lacked due process, which is a constitutional violation. And the democrats voted down the republican proposals because they did include due process clauses... Sounds like the democrats are all for Constitutional violations of Americans Rights"....

Just state the facts and leave it be...

Yep. Its all about the money.
"I don't like guns , violence , the military ... Oh wait I can make a bucket load of cash with my movie using the very things I dislike ... Sign me up!"
Andy

It all comes down to money - how many musicians performed for "Colonel" Gaddafi? Or for other tyrants.

Beyonce
Mariah Carey
Usher
Lionel Ritchie
Sting
Nelly Furtado

Among many others

And it isn't like they really need the money to feed their families - these people could stop performing tomorrow and live very comfortably on what they currently have. But they are quite willing to do almost anything to make more money.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top