JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So... long story short, I COMPLETELY stripped the threads off of the barrel of my little brother's AR trying to get the flash hider off... I'm really hoping someone on the forum can point me in the direction of a competent gunsmith in the Clackamas area who could (hopefully) re-thread the barrel so I don't have to by a brand new one. Anyone?

Check with Curt's in Milwaukie, they should be able to help, or Mark over at TROS.

Yep was going to suggest the same thing. They are good folks there.
Did you twist your barrel when you did this? How did you do it, brute force or just cross thread blunder.

Haven't the foggiest; not my AR to begin with, hider was difficult to turn but not impossible. Wasn't until it was halfway off that I realized there were metal shavings on the ground that had at one time been barrel threads. Thus began the tears and the blasphemous cursing of most deities heralded by mankind.

Haven't the foggiest; not my AR to begin with, hider was difficult to turn but not impossible. Wasn't until it was halfway off that I realized there were metal shavings on the ground that had at one time been barrel threads. Thus began the tears and the blasphemous cursing of most deities heralded by mankind.

Ahhh It was being removed. Someone probably cross threaded the whole thing when they installed it.
Was there a crush washer on none. Not important, but curious.

Hey I understand completely - remember if it don't move with the effort it should STOP! and see whats holding it. Just last weekend I had my own 'stuck' part - the mag tube to the Winchester 66 Commemorative I recently bought. When the pin and end cap screw are removed Winchester mag tubes should pull out of the receiver but this one would not budge. I had to make a special punch to sneak through the frame and catch the edge of the tube so I could 'tap' it out. Fortunately it broke free and only required light tapping with a hammer to remove but I did scar the end of it - but a little wetordry will clear that up and it will not be seen.

Nah, it's a keeper. Did a little research and I'm guessing the hider was "pinned"... Insert bone-headed groan here...:mad:

Was going to ask that too, but I figured someone else would. Did not want to push it LOL.
It happens :)

Spent most of my life fixing things that others broke from being heavy handed mostly.

Was going to ask that too, but I figured someone else would. Did not want to push it LOL.
It happens :)

Spent most of my life fixing things that others broke from being heavy handed mostly.

No, by all means push away! The hell of it is: I've taken off flash hiders before and they've always required a little bit of muscle to get off. With this one, while being more difficult than a standard flash hider, it was not a 'oh-my-god-this-sucker-is-not-meant-to-be-removed' type feeling I got threading it off.

So... long story short, I COMPLETELY stripped the threads off of the barrel of my little brother's AR trying to get the flash hider off... I'm really hoping someone on the forum can point me in the direction of a competent gunsmith in the Clackamas area who could (hopefully) re-thread the barrel so I don't have to by a brand new one. Anyone?
Check what they will charge you compared to a new barrel. Unless it's a high end barrel, with AR parts prices what they are right now,a new barrel may be the way to go.
Probably get a barrel around $100 and can't see anyone but a friend threading it for much less

No, by all means push away! The hell of it is: I've taken off flash hiders before and they've always required a little bit of muscle to get off. With this one, while being more difficult than a standard flash hider, it was not a 'oh-my-god-this-sucker-is-not-meant-to-be-removed' type feeling I got threading it off.

I can see that shearing a pin off and it was probably a case hardened pin or at least hard enough to sit in the thread area and act as a cutting tool while you removed it taking the thread off as you turned. Probably a 1/2-28 and that is not a lot of meat to be stripped off. Curts are good folk and if anyone can fix it they can. Maybe either shortening the bbl or dropping a dia in thread size. ?? I am sure they have a way. Most gunsmiths can do that, but they are used to the ARs extensively. Even I go there to replace a flash hider or things like that , (Had them put a Smith Vortex on my Ruger), as I don't have the barrel vises and such anymore and don't want a torque twist in my barrel. :) Didn't cost much for them to do it at all. Took 10 min.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top