JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If we're gonna say the AK is outdated so then is the AR.

Fanboyism has nothing to do with it, if something is worth keeping they'll modernize it.
The m4 is a modular design the AK is not. The m16 is much different than its original design the AK 47 is the same. Its a good combat rifle out to 200-300 yards. The charging handle and safety are located on the wrong side of the gun. It lacks the ability to become modern without a complete makeover. The m4 is much easier or more modular, in less than a minute you can change the upper out to several different calibers to meet a given missions requirements. The AK is a excellent choice for those who have limited experience with firearms as it goes bang every time with minimal maintenance. The m4 needs a competent operator who knows the weapon systems needs in order to maximize it's potential. Both systems are a solid choice for close quarters combat. The m4 will get you out further and with way better accuracy. In the hands of a novice the AK is by far the better choice. For those who train up to its potential the m4 is by far the better choice (given its modular design) both are still relevant

The m4 is a modular design the AK is not. The m16 is much different than its original design the AK 47 is the same. Its a good combat rifle out to 200-300 yards. The charging handle and safety are located on the wrong side of the gun. It lacks the ability to become modern without a complete makeover. The m4 is much easier or more modular, in less than a minute you can change the upper out to several different calibers to meet a given missions requirements. The AK is a excellent choice for those who have limited experience with firearms as it goes bang every time with minimal maintenance. The m4 needs a competent operator who knows the weapon systems needs in order to maximize it's potential. Both systems are a solid choice for close quarters combat. The m4 will get you out further and with way better accuracy. In the hands of a novice the AK is by far the better choice. For those who train up to its potential the m4 is by far the better choice (given its modular design) both are still relevant
Have you not seen anything going on with the AK in the past decade? With a 12.5" barrel 5.45 is gonna cover most of your needs. Good light, maybe an IR laser if you have night vision going on, and an optic. All you really need.

And the AK74s will reach out further than the AKMs. Even the AK105 can reach out a decent distance in the right hands.

Have you not seen anything going on with the AK in the past decade? With a 12.5" barrel 5.45 is gonna cover most of your needs. Good light, maybe an IR laser if you have night vision going on, and an optic. All you really need.

And the AK74s will reach out further than the AKMs. Even the AK105 can reach out a decent distance in the right hands.
You are missing the point. Can you change out the upper of a AK? Can you swap the charging handle to the left side and put the safety in a neutral position. The AK series 47/74 is exactly what it is a very good cqc weapon that truly lacks modular capabilities.I have plenty of experience with both systems in a combat environment love them both but the AK is limited by design. Ergonomics are not on its side(in fact the ergonomics are primative by comparison). For home defense/cqc they are very good but the m4 has way better ergonomics and its not even close. It is by far a better design for all around soldiering. 1 it's modular 2 excellent ergonomics 3 accurate at longer distances. For the average guy protecting your home both are on a equal playing field. But in combat you can run a m4 faster (mag drops mag changes, disengage safety).

You are missing the point. Can you change out the upper of a AK? Can you swap the charging handle to the left side and put the safety in a neutral position. The AK series 47/74 is exactly what it is a very good cqc weapon that truly lacks modular capabilities.I have plenty of experience with both systems in a combat environment love them both but the AK is limited by design. Ergonomics are not on its side(in fact the ergonomics are primative by comparison). For home defense/cqc they are very good but the m4 has way better ergonomics and its not even close. It is by far a better design for all around soldiering. 1 it's modular 2 excellent ergonomics 3 accurate at longer distances. For the average guy protecting your home both are on a equal playing field. But in combat you can run a m4 faster (mag drops mag changes, disengage safety).
Bulgarians made a left side thumb safety, there are people who made ambidextrous bolt carriers (which I don't care for, right side CH is fine), and as far as upper switching goes that isn't really even needed. If you need the reach beyond what a 5.45 with a 12.5" barrel can do, you'd need .308 or something similar.

5.45 is a different animal compared to 7.62x39. If you need distances longer than 5.45, 7.62x54R and 7.62 NATO still get used to this day for those distances.

Bulgarians made a left side thumb safety, there are people who made ambidextrous bolt carriers (which I don't care for, right side CH is fine), and as far as upper switching goes that isn't really even needed. If you need the reach beyond what a 5.45 with a 12.5" barrel can do, you'd need .308 or something similar.

5.45 is a different animal compared to 7.62x39. If you need distances longer than 5.45, 7.62x54R and 7.62 NATO still get used to this day for those distances.
Its not a modular system. I can switch out my upper in 15 seconds in a number of calibers 6.8 spc 300 blk out. The AK is not modular. Thats why we don't run it. It's a simple system that is very good at doing what it was designed for but it lacks modular capabilities. The Chinese abandoned it years ago in favor of what looks very m4 looking QBZ-191 because they needed a modular design. Stop trying to make the AK into something its not. Enjoy it for what it is.

Its not a modular system. I can switch out my upper in 15 seconds in a number of calibers 6.8 spc 300 blk out. The AK is not modular. Thats why we don't run it. It's a simple system that is very good at doing what it was designed for but it lacks modular capabilities. The Chinese abandoned it years ago in favor of what looks very m4 looking QBZ-191 because they needed a modular design. Stop trying to make the AK into something its not. Enjoy it for what it is.

Modularity has nothing to do with why the U.S doesn't run the AK, the U.S would never use it even if it was "modular". And as I said earlier, the 5.45 does what they need to for the most part.

The U.S used a lot of things for different roles, swapping the upper for something new didn't stop them from using other designs.

No one is trying to make the AK into something its not. Its simply not an obselete design, nor is it "outdated."

Modularity has nothing to do with why the U.S doesn't run the AK, the U.S would never use it even if it was "modular". And as I said earlier, the 5.45 does what they need to for the most part.

The U.S used a lot of things for different roles, swapping the upper for something new didn't stop them from using other designs.

No one is trying to make the AK into something its not. Its simply not an obselete design, nor is it "outdated.

No one is trying to make the AK into something its not. Its simply not an obselete design, nor is it "outdated."
Lol Modularity has everything to do with it. And yes it is outdated but no its not obsolete. Your arguments are weak. Tell me why the AK is so great in your eyes. Do you see more militarys adopting it in the future? Its simple and cheap to build design that 3rd world countries can afford. It does not match modern rifles in any way to include the m4.

Lol Modularity has everything to do with it. And yes it is outdated but no its not obsolete. Your arguments are weak. Tell me why the AK is so great in your eyes. Do you see more militarys adopting it in the future? Its simple and cheap to build design that 3rd world countries can afford. It does not match modern rifles in any way to include the m4.
Because it does what it needs to and I can still hit targets out to 500m with 5.45, maybe 600 if I found a range that goes that far. If I need a .30 CAL, I'm using .308.

Also, why isn't the Colt 901 more prevalant? Its certainly more modular than a M4 in theory, seeing as you can switch from 7.62 NATO to 5.56.

Also, modularity has nothing to do with the U.S never adopting the AK. We went a long time in an arms race against Russia why would we use something they made? Even if the AK went with a different design that was "modular", the U.S will never adopt it.

Modular is the reason we dont run guns like the AK. Our problem here is you are coming from a civilian perspective and im coming from a military perspective. I spent 13 years in the special ops community with multiple tours. The reason we need a modular design? Because every mission is different. 1 The Ak is not as adaptable as the m4 2 ergonomics on the AK suck. It is a huge deal to be able to change mags quickly. Its a huge deal to have your controls in the correct position. Its a huge deal to be able to hit targets past 300 easily. I appreciate your arguments but as a soldier they lack value. Good chat though. Enjoy the holidays

Different people live different lives. Some folks in the spetsnaz like the AR design, and some don't. Its not like they don't have access to it either, considering vepr does make one.
Any modern operator worth a crap will want a modern modular design (dont have to be the m4). This conversation is worthless because you have no 1st hand experience.

2flirj.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top