JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was in a discussion on another forum about the somewhat recent trend of it being the coolest thing to attend high-dollar defensive shooting classes at places like Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Front Site, etc.

People spend thousands of dollars to get training on how to engage threats, move tactically, draw from concealment effectively, and other valuable skills that we all hope we never have to use.

I can't afford that. I did attend Gunsite back in 2007 for a one day CCW permit class and the training and classroom instruction was well worth the $125 fee.

But I don't remember the last time I practiced drawing from concealment. Oh wait, I did about a month or so ago when I got my new Glock G19. Just wanted to see how fast I could draw and shoot at 7yds and empty the magazine into a target. Results were favorable...

g19rapidfire.jpg

But that was one time in the past several years.

Now, I have no real excuse since my dad has a range 12 miles from my house. I can go there anytime to shoot and I have the ability to set up any kind of target.

But I concentrate on the 25yd 5-shot groups to develop loads that are the absolutely most accurate loads for my various pistols.

My thinking is that by ensuring that my carry pistols will do 2" or better at 25yds, then that reduces the chance of missing at close ranges when full of adrenaline.

I also compete in GSSF, so accuracy and low recoil is paramount for good scores.

I think I need to start doing a lot more practice drawing from my various CCW holsters and various CCW pistols to get the muscle memory set. Also need to do more point shooting drills.

My brother is a Detective and SWAT team member and he said their latest drill is to draw and fire two rounds at the target from the hip one-handed, then bring the weapon up to eye level and fire two more rounds, all while backing away to cover.

Wondering who else has been lax in this sort of practice and what some of the drills people are using to simulate CCW situations for training.

Dry fire practice in the home with full draw included can substitute for a lot of what you just described.

If you can shoot well at the range and you can dry fire from draw using all the fundamentals while at the house. Putting them both together comes naturally. Not saying not to practice with live fire, but it isn't the only way to stay proficient.

Its fine to search for the best load for each gun and all, but in the realm of your average defensive shooting that happens in less than 7 yards, reliable feeding and bullet performance is most important.

Something you might consider is joining IDPA and shooting a few matches. They are shot from concealed carry and can be a lot of fun. The scenarios will get you moving and shooting. Its a game though, and though I try to follow each little rule in each scenario, I'm more focused on moving tactically and shooting accurately...fast.

Take ideas from the scenarios and build up some target stands at your Dad's place and go for it. Get a shot timer and chart your times and splits.

I shoot pistols about as good as minute of bad guy. As I speed up, I tend to tighten my groups. @No_Regerts has seen this first hand. I like to shoot fast and loose with my sidearm. If I can put them all in an 8" circle at 10 yards rapidly I feel pretty good about that.

I shoot pistols about as good as minute of bad guy. As I speed up, I tend to tighten my groups. @No_Regerts has seen this first hand. I like to shoot fast and loose with my sidearm. If I can put them all in an 8" circle at 10 yards rapidly I feel pretty good about that.
Too tight groups at the very close range is not good, IMHO, as all or most bullets go to the same area. It's better if the group is about 5"-8", then more vital organs can be reached.
I personally prefer Mozambique drill. Depending on the situation, it can be repeated if needed.

Last Edited:
Too tight groups at the very close range is not good, IMHO, as all or most bullets go to the same area. It's better if the group is about 5"-8", than more vital organs can be reached.
I personally prefer Mozambique drill. Depending on the situation, it can be repeated if needed.

Yes. I think many wound channels are better than a few. I "point shoot" pistols.

I have a lousy attention span.

Too tight groups at the very close range is not good as well as all or most bullets go to the same area. It's better if the group is about 5"-8", than more vital organs can be reached.

Doing the Mozambique fast and accurately is good training. However, I tweak it from how I've been trained in the past. Instead of a quick double tap to the center of the chest and deliberate shot to the head, I'll hit center mass and then between the collar bones and then the face.

8" @ 30 feet is about all that's needed for self defense. Let's be honest, we're not going to be taking 25+ yard shots, with a sidearm, in a self defense situation.

Besides, if the distance is 25 yards or more, I'd be looking for an escape route. But that's just me...

Doing the Mozambique fast and accurately is good training. However, I tweak it from how I've been trained in the past. Instead of a quick double tap to the center of the chest and deliberate shot to the head, I'll hit center mass and then between the collar bones and then the face.

I prefer lots of center mass hits as fast as I'm able to land them.

I prefer lots of center mass hits as fast as I'm able to land them.

Unfortunately, most people shot center mass with a pistol will survive. Worse yet, they'll be able to continue to fight. Climb the sternum and you start getting into places that will paralyze or give you an instant off switch.

The Mozambique/Failure Drill addresses the failure to incapacitate in the chest by going to the head.

Interesting topic, practiced the Mozambique for many years, thinking get the brain to shut off and the threat ends...

But I also get multiple wound channels into the core, hydraulic disruption of all major systems. Organs disabled, lungs no longer sucking air, just kinda gurgling...

Sorry, got off on a tangent there...

I'm more likely to continue the Mozambique, May even modify as @No_Regerts described...

Unfortunately, most people shot center mass with a pistol will survive. Worse yet, they'll be able to continue to fight. Climb the sternum and you start getting into places that will paralyze or give you an instant off switch.

The Mozambique/Failure Drill addresses the failure to incapacitate in the chest by going to the head.

I figure my ability to shoot fast and loose will stop most threats. If not? Then it's my time. But not for lack of return fire.

Those jag offs are more than likely on drugs, and at that point the only thing that will stop them is "standard" capicity magazines. Tap, rack and go comes to mind.

12 gauge notwithstanding. ;)

Interesting topic, practiced the Mozambique for many years, thinking get the brain to shut off and the threat ends...

But I also get multiple wound channels into the core, hydraulic disruption of all major systems. Organs disabled, lungs no longer sucking air, just kinda gurgling...

Sorry, got off on a tangent there...

I'm more likely to continue the Mozambique, May even modify as @No_Regerts described...

Against one guy, I'm running up his centerline like a zipper. Two or more bad guys, and the Mozambique comes into effect because you'll want to put rounds on both guys and finish. Three or more guys is tricky. Ive done it with sim rounds and you're almost always going to take a hit.

I like shooting IDPA matches. 6 different stages each match. Learn to make shots
at close and distant targets. Shooting all different positions and scenarios. Shooting
weak hand/strong hand only, kneeling, seated, moving targets and shooting on the move,
shoots and no shoot targets. When it is your turn to shoot you learn to focus on the coarse
of fire. In the end see how your skills stack up to other shooters.:rolleyes: The IDPA at TCGC draws
usually about 60 competitors. IDPA 5X5 Classifier.
IDPA%2B5x5%2BClassifier%2BREV%2B2-3-18.jpg

Snap Caps are your friend, for at home practice draws. ( I keep the non-ammo locked away from others)
I also have a few pistol copies in rubber I use for defense offense at home. even if it rain and snow one can practice mag drops, clearing etc at home with dummy/snaps . any basically its free minus the 60.00 for the
extras,

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads