Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

are you voting?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by torpedoman, Aug 29, 2008.

1. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

the winner of this election will appoint 3 or 4 people to the supreme court will they be pro or anti gun rights? YOUR vote will determine if you kid will have the right to keeep and bear arms.

2. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

nobama

3. Zhivago

Zhivago Everett, WA Member

Your vote will also decide if they will have the ability to own a piece of their own country. It will decide if they can afford to put food on their tables or take their children to the doctor and dentist. It will decide a lot more than gun rights, so keep the big picture in mind.

4. sweetbeard

Once the Govt takes your guns away you are a slave to the Govt.. don't forget that..

5. Zhivago

If it makes you feel better, McCain's government will not only not TAKE your guns, but they will GIVE you a couple guns too!

Only catch is you will have to put them to use in Iran when the draft comes around.

6. sweetbeard

Well I was in the Marines And would gladly join again... what about YOU!

7. Zhivago

More than willing to defend this country in a legitimate war. Not willing to invade sovereign nations and call it defense while siphoning off their oil. We have way to many problems at home to go around building nation-states abroad.

8. markw76

markw76 Portland/Moscow on the Willamette Member

We don't get any oil from Iraq. Allies do, but not us. Besides, from what I read, they aren't doing all that well at exporting oil anyway. They need to rebuild and upgrade instead of a few skimming off the proceeds.

9. lazyeye

lazyeye Corvallis, OR Member

Yup.

Basically voting for the lesser of evils, like any election...

10. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Under the Bush administration there were 17 million homes purchased by first time home buyers due to his tax cuts, many more than during Clinton. Oh and yes, I'm voting for Palin ;)

11. Zhivago

I would contend that little of that has to do as much with Bush as with a number of factors which have resulted in our current credit quagmire. How many of those 17 million homes are going to be foreclosed on in the next decade?

12. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

1 Million ;)

I have no sympathy for the home buyers who signed those mortgage papers and bought more house than they could truly afford or the banks that are going under because they gave loans to those who couldn't afford them. I only wish the government would stay out of it and let it all happen instead of saving the banks and/or home owners. Where's the responsibility?

13. Zhivago

That would teach "them" to be more responsible certainly. Problem is everything is interconnected. Get enough homes foreclosed on, banks lose money. If you dont save the banks, they go under and it puts more pressure on other banks. As a result, other companies and responsible people have a tougher time getting a loan. Less houses are bought. As a result, less houses are built. This effects building companies and the web of suppliers that make building a house possible. The chain never ends, everything is connected. At some point, the economy reaches a tipping point and we enter a new depression. The American economy is the largest in the world and drags down international economies with it. On and on...

14. Joe Link

So what do you propose? A bail out? That just reinforces the though of the irresponsible that 'government will take care of me, even if i make poor decisions'. Is that really the message we want to be sending?

Let the banks fail, let the companies fail, the housing sector is not going to bring down the entire economy (though it will have a large effect).

15. Zhivago

I dont propose anything. There is no magic fix, no "good" solution. There are mild advantages and hefty disadvantages whichever way you go. The kind of effect those failures would have on the economy makes it unacceptable. The only way to moderate the risk of repeating this process is some sort of modified bail out combined with heavy, independent oversight of the financial industry. Something like the GAO is to the government maybe.

16. lazyeye

lazyeye Corvallis, OR Member

I propose the "kill them all and let god sort them out" solution.

But then again, none of the candidates are touting that solution :(

17. markw76

Unfortunately if too many banks go under they'll drag down a lot of the economy that has been operating just fine. Economics is a hugely complicated world. I'd rather tackle medical school than try for a degree in economics.

18. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

Although I agree with you, unless we've got anti-tank, anti-aircraft weapons and thermal image equipment - it's already going to be slaughter, even now.

Legislation is key.

19. sweetbeard

UMMMMMM I need thermal Imaging!

20. markw76

Eternal Vigilance.