Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Are you paying Comcast $8/mo. for your cable modem? Stop!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joe Link, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm one of those people who lives a frugal lifestyle, and I love to help others do the same. One of the biggest no-brainers is for the people who still rent their cable modems, especially from Comcast. Many people still assume that you have to rent, and Comcast certainly won't correct that assumption! I just saw this deal and I wanted to pass it along to those of you who are still paying $8 per month.

Newegg (a very trusted online retailer) has a very good deal (ends today, 9/3) on a new cable modem for $30 shipped, after you enter the promotional code. Don't forget to enter the $20 off code at checkout, it's listed under the title on their website. After four months it'll have paid for itself, and you'll have an extra $8 to buy ammo :D

Edited to add: There are a couple people this modem won't work for.

• Those on a plan higher than 50Mbps.
    • Those with Comcast phone service (you need the modem they provide).
    • Those with a Comcast modem/router combination (you need to buy a replacement router, too)
    If you're not sure, feel free to ask here. I'm sure myself or one of the other tech guys here will answer ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5188005&cm_re=BRG35503-_-25-188-005-_-Product

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    BVB, ocarolan and Kimber Custom like this.
  2. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Thx Joe, just ordered one.

Joe Link likes this.
  3. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

Gave up on Comcast a few months ago. Bought my own cable modem and HD antenna so now i just have an internet bill. Can't get a lot of TV but you can get the major channels.

Stomper and Joe Link like this.
  4. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I haven't had cable for several years, just Netflix and Amazon Prime (which includes Instant Streaming). I definitely recommend those with a $50 Roku over a cable or satellite subscription. It gets rough around this time of year (football season), but I get most of the games with my $10 HD antenna.

Stomper likes this.
  5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I absolutely HATE paying for cable/sat TV, there's nothing but CRAP to watch. I too, have jumped off the hamster wheel and only have broadband internet w/netflix. I don't follow sports in any way, shape, or form, so no loss to me on that front.

KalamaMark likes this.