JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can't make money trading PMs. The premiums alone would eat any profit you might make.

The exception to the rule is like winning the lottery. If you sold all your silver back in the 80s when it was $50 per ounce, then you MIGHT have made money.

Need a crystal ball for that kind of thing though.

I made better than 10% on the last bull run in gold. I also bought some more stock before the 1000 to 700 drop and lost money. Had to sit on coins and sell them a little at a time on surges. So I'm not sure how much I actually made.

Point is, you can make money. BUT, you have to have insider info or know what the manipulators are going to do. I made money because it was a bull run commodity bubble and all commodities were surging. I didn't know what I was doing. But I made money. And I just as quickly lost it.

Gold does not do good in inflation. Gold does well in times of credit crisis; like now. We are a credit based economy. There will always be spikes and bumps that are short lived.

See here: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2007/02/is-gold-inflation-hedge.html

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2009/10/gold-and-watched-pot-theory.html

I made better than 10% on the last bull run in gold. I also bought some more stock before the 1000 to 700 drop and lost money. Had to sit on coins and sell them a little at a time on surges. So I'm not sure how much I actually made.

Point is, you can make money. BUT, you have to have insider info or know what the manipulators are going to do. I made money because it was a bull run commodity bubble and all commodities were surging. I didn't know what I was doing. But I made money. And I just as quickly lost it.

Gold does not do good in inflation. Gold does well in times of credit crisis; like now. We are a credit based economy. There will always be spikes and bumps that are short lived.

See here: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2007/02/is-gold-inflation-hedge.html

From the link above:

"Given the current underlying conditions, with increasing chances of a deflationary credit implosion related to housing, along with some chances of a collapse in the dollar, Yen, or fiat currencies in general, the incentive to store wealth in the form of gold is massive."

Other than other similar comments, those studies in that link don't tell us what we want to know. There is a study going back a few years, one going back 17 years, and one going back 500 years.

What they don't slice out and look at, other than the comment above, is what does the value of gold do during a complete economic meltdown, when people are allowed to own (have accumulated) gold?

Silence.

No. I'm buying guns and ammo.

OK, one more time. What if you were convinced the SHTF was coming, and you had ten million dollars you wanted to store somehow in case you made it to the other side - to better times again?

How would you invest that much money in guns and ammo?

In other words, after you bought all of the SHTF things you can want or even find a place to store, what do you do with the rest of that money?

OK, one more time. What if you were convinced the SHTF was coming, and you had ten million dollars you wanted to store somehow in case you made it to the other side - to better times again?

How would you invest that much money in guns and ammo?

In other words, after you bought all of the SHTF things you can want or even find a place to store, what do you do with the rest of that money?

Buy generators, food and other supplies to SURVIVE through the SHTF scenario...that's what I would do with the money. Then with the money left over, I would probably buy up some Canadian dollars...say about a couple thousand worth....and THEN maybe gold and silver.

Having all your eggs in one basket is dangerous and foolish. Of all the scenarios that I can possibly fathom, I can only think of one that gold would be adventagous.

If your state is talking about succeeding from the union, I would probably invest in gold...if not, then the rest of the states are going to ride this country into the drink like the band on the Titanic.

Buy generators, food and other supplies to SURVIVE through the SHTF scenario...that's what I would do with the money. Then with the money left over, I would probably buy up some Canadian dollars...say about a couple thousand worth....and THEN maybe gold and silver.

Having all your eggs in one basket is dangerous and foolish. Of all the scenarios that I can possibly fathom, I can only think of one that gold would be adventagous.

If your state is talking about succeeding from the union, I would probably invest in gold...if not, then the rest of the states are going to ride this country into the drink like the band on the Titanic.

Just curious: what makes you think Canadian dollars would have any value in a SHTF situation where US Dollars were useless? If the US economy tanked *that* bad, I'd hazard a guess that Canada is coming along for the ride.

DJM

For some it's hard to fathom just how much ten millions dollars would buy in generators and other shtf stuff. Before you spent $50,000 you'd run out of space to store the stuff, and you sure wouldn't have all of your eggs in one basket.

Now you still have Nine million, nine hundred and fifty thousand dollars left to hide and your eggs sure aren't all in one basket.

What do you do with the Nine million, nine hundred and fifty thousand dollars? How do you hide it and keep it in case you make it through to better times?

Currencies around the world have collapsed, so all government money is worthless.

How?

Now you still have Nine million, nine hundred and fifty thousand dollars left to hide and your eggs sure aren't all in one basket.

What do you do with the Nine million, nine hundred and fifty thousand dollars? How do you hide it and keep it in case you make it through to better times?

coke and ......

investing in some scheme where you have "tickets" on a stated quantity of something is foolish. How many different hot schemes have we seen come on strong, get a huge following then go poof and fold, leaving thousands of people out millions of dollars?

No, any investment in ANY commodity should be in the article itself, in YOUR possession. Even gold in a "safe" deposit box down at the local bank could be forfeit should the gobbermunt decide the banks are closed, or anything they want is theirs (such as the contents of those "safe" deposit boxes).

Nope, if I spend any money on things such as silver, gold, platinum, I'll have it HERE.... well enough laid by it would be difficult for someone else to find. I agree..... some invested in gold and silver might be a good hedge against a currency failure, or a serious political upheaval (which will almost certainly include a currency crisis of some sort). Review what happened in ARgentina about eight years ago..... banks collapsed, most of government as well, distribution of necessities fell apart, currency hyperinflated...... and those who had stocks of gold and silver did far better than those who did not. It gave them some clout in international markets, enabling them to secure stores from offshore..... and preserved their financial worth by having it in a universally valued commodity.

Of course, you can't eat the stuff..... but you CAN, under the right circumstances, secure possession of other things needful.. such as food, shelter, fuel, implements.

Personally, I think the best plan is to have a significant amount laid by in useful commodities... someone mentioned a stash of smokes. I'd not choose those, but there are other things...... plenty of ammunition, some guns to use it, foodstuffs, coffee, tea, basic manufactured products (soap, sugar, salt, fuel oil/diesel, lube oil, cooking oil, grains and beans, nails, plastic sheeting, batteries, maybe a whole herd of bicycles..... and tyres, chains, etc, for them.... hey, a bike may well be worth more than a car, if we can't get any fuel for the car.

OK, one more time....

I personally would do the following after I had everything I needed. Diversification and decreasing country risk would be my goal:

* Own shares in foreign and US-based companies that derive their income from sales outside the US (companies focused on taking advantage of growth in the BRIC countries).

* Own currencies of commodity-producing nations (Canada, Australia for example).

* Own commodities (difficult for most people, so probably via commodity ETFs or other commodity funds).

* Own precious metals via shares of Central Fund of Canada, Sprott Physical Gold Trust, Perth Mint, etc. (specifically held in high security vaults outside US).

Everyone thinks differently, buy my focus would be on protecting assets legally by decreasing country risk. Historically, this has always worked for SHTF because SHTF does not happen everywhere to everyone on the same level. Sure, if we get a "Noah's Ark" (global deluge) situation it won't work, but less severe SHTF scenarios are the historic norm.

my gold and silver investments are up over 300% so far and i have it in hand the ETF 's do not have enough to cover what they owe out but have no fear they can and will settle in cash money and if you read their paperwork it is all nice and legal. If they fail and they all will when people demand delivery then you are an unsecured creditor which is lawyer for you aint getting anything.

For some it's hard to fathom just how much ten millions dollars would buy in generators and other shtf stuff. Before you spent $50,000 you'd run out of space to store the stuff, and you sure wouldn't have all of your eggs in one basket.

Currencies around the world have collapsed, so all government money is worthless.

How?

I'll meet you halfway Gunner....if I get close to ever owning a million dollars (after buying all my SHTF crap) I would then probably buy up some gold coins and precious stones to use as currency.

But you realize that buying and preparing never really ends, right? I mean, to be fully self sustaining I would need-

*Bigger property to grow my own crops
*A bio-disel production plant
*A well
*Solar/Wind powered generators
*Night vision
*Armor
*Underground bunker

ect, ect, ect....it goes on and on. You honsestly think I just hop online and buy up the newest thing to shove in my go bag? That's only a small part of being a survivalist. The limit to how you prepare is limited to your time and budget...that's it. When you start planning for survival, you plan on how you can survival comfortably and longer than the "other guy" that didn't.

If you think I would run out of space and crap to buy to become self-sustaining then obviously you haven't met a true survivalist.

If I had more money and time I would be making a garden, burying caches of supplies at specific rally points, training, upgrading my vehicles, finding ways to convert things like my lawn mower and my car batteries into usable energy....again I can go on and on. You are never fully prepared....mainly becuase nobody knows when, where or how the S is going to hit what fan!

Yeah, I know- I'm a paranoid nut. But I honestly don't think we're just going to "bounce back" from this recession...it's only going to get worse. Even without outside influence, we're going to be at a steady downfall. Just look at prices...tell me inflation hasn't hit yet...really. We are making the same or less as we did last year, but the prices for everything is going up!

We can point fingers at our overseas oil dependancy or our weak Presidency, or we can simply accept the fact that we are at a downward spiral from our overall political failures and corruption. Either way you look at it, there is no coming back from this one without bloodshed.

More and more people are getting fed up with "the system" and are speaking out against it. One day the words will stop and nothing else will be left accept for action...and on that day we will have to pick a side to be on and decide what to do.

I chose to survive and to take advantage of everyday that isn't crap to make my future better for me and my family. Mock me if you will, but I would rather be the guy sitting at home with all my crap and plans going "whew, that was a close one!" than rushing the gocery store hoping I don't have to kill someone for a bottle of water.

Great post Riot. I think PM's should be higher on the list though. They are a way of preserving wealth. Small, portable and highly recognized. We all have lists of needs and they vary drastically. In the situation you described, longevity and comfort will be sustained by a barter system or utilizing a base monetary form not super inflated like the US dollar will be. So Silver and gold fill this gap very well.

I agree with you that we should all be self sustaining to the best of our abilities, but I understand that even I cant make it on my own provisions. There will always be some yahoo that has a conex box full of salt, tampons, toothpicks and diet soda that will be looking to gain something of value.

Agree with most of what you said except for prices. We are in deflation, not inflation. Assets have declined in value world wide(deflationary sign). INFLATION is an increase in money supply and credit in the economy. PRICE INFLATION is a later result of this. We already went through that (inflation, mainly from the 70's to 2007,tech bubble,commodity bubble, housing bubble). What you are seeing at the pump, food, energy and basically anything that falls into the "necessity" area, is a manipulated increase in prices by the major players to offset losses as well as a setup for cap-n-trade( see here: http://tinyurl.com/yfqecpg).

Credit is not going into the economy (see here: http://tinyurl.com/yk4xvcj). We are a credit based economy. A system of usury based on debt (credit). We have passed peak credit and now the private sector is trying to deleverage while the FED tries to reinflate the bubble.

It's why CASH IS KING right now. It's also why there is an increase in barter.

But I agree, things are going to get worse.

There is a saying from the Great Depression. "Just when we thought it was over, it had only just begun."

Get ready for a lot more global war with some very nasty set-up instances.

I don't mind the idea of buying "some" gold, but I would also like some silver rounds, "junk silver" coins, guns/ammo, etc.

My goal is when my kids get married, I can give them each one of every type of gun I own, 5-10oz. gold, and 100oz. silver(some rounds, some "junk").

It is a store of wealth, it is an ASSET in the deepest sense, this is not to be spent, it is meant to be held as savings, or representation of value, it is more what it/they represent than what the dollar-value of the assets are. It is also a lesson for my children that there are things you own as assets that are not for sale, they are there as a promise to send to the next generation.

I know it sounds sappy, but my parents did not do this for me, I am determined to do it for my children and teach them to do the same for theirs.

Numismatic coins and collectable firearms can increase in value beyond their practical worth relative to inflation. Regarding the latter, look at pre-ban Polytech AKs and real Russian AKs to see that they havent dropped in price (measured in percentage) nearly as much (if at all) as compared Polish or Bulgarian AKs have over the last year. Its a buyers market right now for common examples. Having some 'practical collectables' probably isn't a bad idea.

Regarding barter goods...just look at what is still traded today in places like the Balkans...cigs, alcohol, food, 'flesh'.

Keith

do any of you actually have your gold in hand, or is it paper only....A couple of companies lately have been charged with selling gold and silver they didnt even have. In my opinion its to late to get on the gold bandwagon, money would be better spent on beans, bullets, bandaids etc. Cant eat gold coins, and most people only own them on paper.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top