JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you answered yes, why?

Personally I hate cats, IMO they are stupid good for nothing creatures. I used to have a hamster and a parakeet when I was a little kid and I liked them more than I could like a cat haha...

Nothing against people that like them, they are just not for me.

Only reason I bring it up is the wife keeps telling me she wants to get one, this the one and only thing I will stand my ground on and in no way ever let happen..

I have never been a cat person, but we do have a cat. As a pet goes, they are pretty easy. They don't require your attention or approval. Mine doesn't tear up my house or garage. It doesn't eat garbage (or poop) or howl at all hours of the night. All in all, a pretty low maintainance animal.

I don't have a dog because they require more time than I am willing to devote to any animal. I have a wife, kids, and a job that require my attention.

"It's the cat's house, we just pay the mortgage"
"Dogs have owners, cats have staff"

I LOVE my cat... she is the best...

Cats are pretty low maintenance, they keep themselves clean, don't make too much noise, are fun to play with (cat + laser pointer = WIN.... feathers on a stick are great too), they aren't always following you around, when it is cold out they want to snuggle... after a bad day, nothing soothes the soul faster than some quiet music and a nap with a purring cat.

I like my cat way more than most people I know... :)

I love our cat! She is super easy to take care of. We fill up her auto feeder every few days or so. Buy a scratching pad so there's no damage to furniture. If it'll be an indoor cat, they pretty much box train themselves. Outdoor, no cleanup at all. Cheaper vet bills and less frequent, too. She doesn't demand a lot of attention, but when I have the time, I can call her over and she'll lay with me. Buy a laser pen and have unlimited hours of playtime for her. Cheap adoption fees, but really you can find them free everywhere!
I've always had cats, dogs, and several different small pets since I can remember. Cats are surely the easiest!

If your wife wants the cat, then there's not a lot of reason the cat has to bug you too much. She'll love and play with it, and probably completely take care of it.

Basically all the above is true. Cats take care of themselves, you can leave some food out and be gone for days without worry. They dont poop on the floor (usually), they dont smell, or smell up the house. They dont eat a whole lot of food either.

Dogs are pretty much miserable to me. They are the closest thing to having a kid. They need constant attention, they smell, they tear stuff up, get in the garbage, and require a babysitter when your away. My wife came with a dog and it has been pretty much the only problem with our marriage from day one.

Basically all the above is true. Cats take care of themselves, you can leave some food out and be gone for days without worry. They dont poop on the floor (usually), they dont smell, or smell up the house. They dont eat a whole lot of food either.

Dogs are pretty much miserable to me. They are the closest thing to having a kid. They need constant attention, they smell, they tear stuff up, get in the garbage, and require a babysitter when your away. My wife came with a dog and it has been pretty much the only problem with our marriage from day one.

Spraying, tearing things up...? Cats do it too. I find cats to be quite uninteresting. My dog doesn't require too much attention, but he's a wonderful companion. He doesn't need a leash, but I keep him on one anyway. Cats DO need a leash, you just don't take them out the same way.

These three photos pretty much sum up my dog...

View attachment 217160

View attachment 217161

View attachment 217162

Oh, well, except for when he's too blurry to take a photo, in which he pretty much looks like...

greyhound.jpg

Also, I must disagree about the "fine" statement earlier. Your cat would be captured by animal control if it was fighting with stray cats all the time. I don't want feral cats running around, and I'm not even remotely sorry for saying that. Stray cats are a huge problem in other parts of the country, as well as other countries in general.

Control your pets. They're domesticated, not wild animals.

I like them both, but they are totally different personality types.
Dogs are much better for home defense (alarms, if not attackers), although I did just see a bunch of youtube videos of cats standing down/chasing away black bears. So if you're in bear country, a cat might arguably be a home defense animal:). See below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L71iky0iVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npi8Q0sZtZo&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi7tN2rjQcc&feature=related

Dog's are charming because they do everything they can to make you happy all the time and cat's are charming because they will make you happy when they are damn well good and ready to, but dependably when they can tell your bummed. It's a personality adjustment thing I guess.

If you answered yes, why?

Personally I hate cats, IMO they are stupid good for nothing creatures. I used to have a hamster and a parakeet when I was a little kid and I liked them more than I could like a cat haha...

Nothing against people that like them, they are just not for me.

Only reason I bring it up is the wife keeps telling me she wants to get one, this the one and only thing I will stand my ground on and in no way ever let happen..

I did the same thing once, and came home to find my wife had two kittens that were given away at a pet store. I reluctantly gave in and found that there is a latent cat lover in every dog person. In retrospect I should have put up more of a fight about the cats because a few months latter I came home to find two rhinos in the backyard that she claimed her mother had sent her.

I have cats on the property, but wouldn't classify myself as a "cat person". I don't seek them out to give attention and only feed them a couple times a week. Want 'em hungry to take care of mice, rats and other vermin that infest my barn and chicken coop.

I haven't had a dog in five or six years. I like 'em alright, but they are awful needy and I tend to be gone three (whenever I don't have my son) consecutive days a week.

Nope.
Not a cat person. I'm allergic otherwise I wouldn't mind having a feline around the house. Then again right now at the apartment, pets are a no-go.

I hate dogs. I have 3 cats. I have been scared of dogs since I remember. Cats are way easier to take care of. & no drool. I have leather furniture so I have to get their claws trimmed often.:s0155:

I don't mind dogs, but it's too much work; raising, exercising, walking, et cetera. I find them needy and in the way.

So i have cats. Their personality is more subtle than dogs, but they do have one. Usually a bit on the psycho side, which i like.

I keep mine indoors, because cats are an environmental menace to natural wildlife. They are the second biggest killer of songbirds after habitat destruction. Cat are highly efficient hunter/killers and they do not belong outside unsupervised.

They are a lot of fun in a quiet silly way. I love them.

I keep mine indoors, because cats are an environmental menace to natural wildlife. They are the second biggest killer of songbirds after habitat destruction. Cat are highly efficient hunter/killers and they do not belong outside unsupervised.

x2

I wish every person on this planet thought like you do. I like cats and will pet them when I see them, but what they inflict on our natural environment is sad. I wish there was an effective way to control all these feral colonies.

x2

I wish every person on this planet thought like you do. I like cats and will pet them when I see them, but what they inflict on our natural environment is sad. I wish there was an effective way to control all these feral colonies.

More Coyotes? We have a large field area behind our complex, basically off our balcony. They are everywhere out there! We only have an outdoor/stray cat for about the first 2-3 weeks after it moves in, depending on how sneaky it is. But, so goes the circle of life. :p

Outdoor cats don't last long in my neighborhood. Too many Coyotes and dogs. That being said, if I ever see free ones I'll take them. The right cat can do wonders for mice and moles.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top