JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife asked me the other day what I thought about joining the Moose, the Elks, or some sort of organization like that. She was looking for a mix of things to do with the kids and things to do with just us. I told her come to the gun club but that wasn't what she had in mind :)

I went and visited the local Moose lodge. The woman who gave me a tour had booze on her breath, which was an immediate turnoff. Inside there were a bunch of guys sitting around at the bar. Nothing wrong with that but...not exactly what I was after. They say "the family fraternity" so maybe there's more to it - I'm going to check out another one.

I visited the Elks - much bigger/nicer, but most of the activities were adult things - bingo, poker, etc. The guy who gave me the tour said they have some family events but not as many as they used to years ago due to demographics.

There's an Eagle lodge nearby but I haven't visited them.

I know that fraternal organizations on the whole have declined since their heyday in the 50s-70s but I've always admired them. I was a Mason years ago in a different state.

So...Elks? Moose? What are your thoughts?

I was an eagle years ago, my folks were and a couple of my friends are elks now. I realize that they do some good things for the community but are just private drinking establishments for the most part. just my opinion.

but are just private drinking establishments for the most part. just my opinion.
Unfortunately this is correct. The same is true with the VFW and AM Legion. Many years ago when I was an AGR with the ORANG a co worker invited my then wife and I to a AM Legion dinner/function. The cheap drinks were the primary draw it seemed and the general drunkenness I witnessed later (by most) was extreme. While there may be some departures and some good may be accomplished by these organizations the social drinking aspect seems to be of paramount importance for most.

I'm a non dues paying Elk. father in law got me joined up to further his political ambitions in the Organization. They do some wonderful things on the local and national levels. Yes there is some drinking but I never saw more then a small percentage of the members doing much drinking. I have been friends with the gal that tended bar there for years. She really likes it cause its so much nicer then dealing with the public drunk. Lodge members tend to behave and also if one has had to much to drink another will make sure they get home.

BUT aside from sponsoring a scout troop and some cub scouts I never really saw much I would call family activities. It was almost all adult men working on community projects.

For the record I did my time as a member of a fraternal organization. Back in the 'day' I was a member of the Redmond, OR JayCees, and at the time we were a well respected organization that did much for the community. However as time will take its toll the JayCees on a national level suffered in the late 80's due to what could be considered a hostile takeover by a loss in SCOTUS to allow women to join. Prior to that everything was hunky dory and the women's auxiliary (the JayCee-ets) was doing well and gaining popularity (not without 'issues') but nevertheless it was very functional as such. The ultimate result was the destruction of the once great JayCee organization.

I joined the Gresham Elks in the '70s for the Fri. nite seafood. That was good. Spent some time at the daytime bar, not so good unless you like to hear golf talk, I'd rather hear paint dry.
I've been invited to Moose and Eagles and they were never as nice as Elks lodges.
In the days before ATMs it was nice to be able to cash a check in a strange town at an Elks lodge.

Hi Alpha, why not try dropping in on say Tuesday about 6. Just drop in. If you live near me, I'd be proud to introduce you around. <SW side Portland> Somehow my long long rambling post didn't post. Better for you all I guess. VA charities, Elks / Casey Eye Clinic, Meadow Wood Camp for speech impaired, are just some of the Elks Charities. Fun groups include golfing, camping clubs etc within the fraternities. regards, me

I'm a mason.

My mom was a JayCee. My mom and her husband are now Elks. She tells me of their lodge plans to do charitable things, but it seems the only thing her lodge does is drink inexpensive drinks (who doesn't want to belong to a private drinking club!!!). My mom joined for the comradery, and can't drink due to medical issues, so I guess it works for her.

I guess if one wanted a cheap private bar, and some people to ride motorcycles with while being able to go with their significant other, Elks would be a fine organization.

I've been a Milwaukie Elk for going on 12 yrs. Great people, its nice when you travel around and if there is an Elks lodge there you are welcome, And if you are an RV'er alot of the lodges have hookups. We just finished up our second year Haunted House and we finally got the pool fixed so hopefully next summer it will be open. Stop in and ask for a tour, we are always looking for new members.

I joined the Moose, real handy as the lodge was almost on the way to work and we planned on traveling so we could take our motorhome and camp at the lodges. Then they closed the lodge I joined and moved to one some 20 miles away and away from anything we do. I sent a letter requesting a demit but never even received a reply. Plus we haven't retired fully yet and may never get the chance.
I am a member of the Pythian lodge here in Vancouver but there's nothing much for families there either and membership is dwindling too.

Not sure if I'm a Moose or not. Joined some years ago, then they closed the lodge and moved all the members to the Battleground Lodge. Due to my work schedule I could never attend their functions so I sent a letter requesting a demit. They have never answered the letter. So I have no way of knowing since you must receive a letter authorizing the demit and I never have.

Deen
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member & Recruiter
Washington Arms Collectors Member
SouthWest Washington Arms Collectors Member
Second Amendment Foundation Member

Not to thread pirate but, in Oregon, do any of these groups or else where do Meat Raffles? We used to love going to the small towns in Northern Minnesota while on vacation for the weekend and stop in at the Legion clubs for meat raffles and some drinks. lol, sometimes you would walk away with a buzz and other times with enough meat to feed a small army.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top