JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was watching a recent YouTube video from Military Arms Channel where Tim and a few guest discussed if the AK-47 is " Obsolete." While they made some compelling arguments as to why the AR15 is a more complete platform due to ability to custom ARs verses the struggle that we AK guys have to deal with changing out handguard and such. While the AR is a great beginner platform I think one can say the same with the AK platform both great but I am definitely an AK guy! I went to the the rock pit recently and I was honestly surprised because My AK pistol felt like it recoiled less and was quieter than my AR pistol with which has a longer barrels am I tripping or can an AK actually be more comfortable to shoot than an AK? Call me crazy but I thought think so. Thoughts??

1F60A153-C866-4332-A7CA-32BB3DA69835.jpeg

I am an AR/AK guy as I run both and have both and have for a long time. They both have their pros and cons but will say the AR is a smoother firearm to operate.

In the USA where combloc ammunition is not available everywhere you step but NATO ammo is, why limit yourself? I can probably go door to door in my neighborhood alone and end up with a ratio of 100/1 556 to 7.62x39.

For that reason alone the AR15 is vastly superior to the AK, at least here in the USA.

Otherwise the rest is just opinions and such. Both are good guns.

I wanted to be an AK guy after first SKS…. California years ago. Then loved my first Drako….but after I built my first AR…. I'm kinda stuck on it like IOS/Android users. Bought too much into ITunes to switch….. user interface much better for me. But the ruggedness of AK cannot be dismissed.

I have a mountain of spare AR parts, armorer level know-how and tools. I can keep ARs running the rest of my life, no way could I do that with anything HK. Don't get me wrong, I love the G-3 family but as a go to hard use gun, I'll stick with AR/AK's.
Well, we pays our money and we takes our choice. Your decision, as mine, was made long ago.

I am a better shot and faster with an AR, but I really enjoy shooting the AK more. If SHTF I will probably grab the AR, if I am heading to the woods/range to shoot for fun I am grabbing the AK.

Both

I do think the AR has the advantage of modularity & customizing, while the AK is more durable and robust. If the AK fits one's needs as is, then I prefer the AK. For new shooters I think the AR is maybe more ergonomic and easier for them to learn with, especially if we are talking 5.56x45 vs. 7.62x39.

Also, for AKs in 5.56x45 or 7.62x51, there really are no standards for mags or parts, only for 7.62x39, so you take your chances in that respect. Whereas with the AR platform there are standards for 5.56x45 and 7.62x51, probably for 7.62x39 too (although I am given to understand that you have to be picky about the mags).

Both

I do think the AR has the advantage of modularity & customizing, while the AK is more durable and robust. If the AK fits one's needs as is, then I prefer the AK. For new shooters I think the AR is maybe more ergonomic and easier for them to learn with, especially if we are talking 5.56x45 vs. 7.62x39.

Also, for AKs in 5.56x45 or 7.62x51, there really are no standards for mags or parts, only for 7.62x39, so you take your chances in that respect. Whereas with the AR platform there are standards for 5.56x45 and 7.62x51, probably for 7.62x39 too (although I am given to understand that you have to be picky about the mags).
Call me old school and no disrespect to anybody but if I am shooting an AK there is only one true caliber in my opinion 7.62x39. That's why I will never shoot another 7.62x39 AR it is unholy! AR15 is .556 now don't get me wrong the calibers in between can be tons of gun but as far as functionality and reliability I'm sticking to the OG calibers lol 😂

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top