JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got an old double barrel 12ga.

Anyone go an idea what it might be worth?

It says: Mfd by the meriden fire arms co
Has a damascus steel barrel

Just curious what everyone thinks... Thanks!
Maybe it'll move to the classified forum sometime?

If you open the action and look under the breeches on the frame, what numbers are there? There should be a serial number and some other two or three digit numbers. If you can post those numbers I can tell you a bit more about it.

On the barrel part there's a "11548" that I think is the serial. There's also a "2" in two spots, and another number I can't fully make out. It looks like it says "1 D" but the D is upside down, maybe?

Then on the receiver there is a "11548" and a "D3o" or "D30"

They were owned By Sears of Monkey Wards. They never caught on by Collectors.
Condition is everything

So a crack starting on the stock and a bit of rust from sitting in somebodys granddaddys basement means it's not worth a whole lot, huh?

I was hoping I'd scored a million dollar collectors item. :D

Been down this route myself with greatgrandpa's VERY SIMILAR double barreled... On a GOOD day and in primo condition (which mine isn't)... $200 tops. Its worth more as a family heirloom, and that's about it.

BTW- Don't attempt to shoot a modern load in it either, the damascus steel won't take the increases pressures.

D30 indicates it's a Damascus 30" barrel. The 11548 is the serial number. It's earlier than any of the Meriden's listed. The earlier numbers all seem to be marked A.J. Aubrey, but made by the same company. The 2 digit number may be the model number. Find more info here:

Meriden Fire Arms Co.

Some people say that it can be fired with the correct black powder cartridges only, but only after a gunsmith checks it out. Chamber length is critical. Some old 12 ga. guns were 2-9/16" or even 2-1/2" chambers. Not good if you fire a modern 2-3/4" length (measured after firing) shell in them. Most people will tell you it's a wall hanger only, but if I owned it I'd investigate whether it could be fired.

So a crack starting on the stock and a bit of rust from sitting in somebodys granddaddys basement means it's not worth a whole lot, huh?

I was hoping I'd scored a million dollar collectors item. :D

If it is worth anything (doubtful) trying to clean it up or repair it is about the last thing you want to do to it. Collectors like a well aged gun, not one that's been fixed.

On the other hand, they told me this rifle was too far gone and it was just a wall hanger. A barrel liner, a year's work, and $2500 later it shoots modern .357 Mag ammo, and does it very sweetly:

RRBRestore-GunKnifeHatBestsm.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top