JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just bought my fourth firearm for 2023.

My schedule is being forced by the likes of 114. As well as the Democratic rhetoric.

The woman at Bi-Mart was really sweating me. I told her I was always an instant approval with my CPL. She replied that that doesn't make a difference anymore, with 65,000 people int the que and CPL holders waiting two or three months to take possession. I was not happy as she told me I still had to pay the $ when I'm put on hold.

I was approved in three minutes. As I walked out the door with my new pistol I thought "The hell with her negative attitude".

I suspect Approvals or holds depend on factors far beyond what we mere mortals think. Perhaps they take into account FICO scores (Like insurance Companys do!), and I always give up my SS number on the 4473 to speed things up. Recent traffic ticket's, Pending lawsuits, or a host of other things I could conjure up. This is pure speculation om my part.

Another interesting thing. The most recent Form 4473 now asks my gender, and the three answers were Male, Female, or Non-Binary! Puke, Puke, Puke! I am disgusted with this WOKE BS!
65k. lol. I don't know where she got that number. It's under 20k right now.

I found a new method to get dopamine hits, instead of consumer shopping. I tried out making a couple of limit buy orders to purchase shares in my Roth IRA yesterday. I set the limit at an amount that was right on the edge of what I thought the stock might get to for the day. One order just barely hit my set limit and was executed the other expired without being fulfilled. This will only work as long as my broker company is doing "free" stock trades.

I figure if I can get the dopamine hits and increase my investment earnings potential, it's a win win?

I found a new method to get dopamine hits, instead of consumer shopping. I tried out making a couple of limit buy orders to purchase shares in my Roth IRA yesterday. I set the limit at an amount that was right on the edge of what I thought the stock might get to for the day. One order just barely hit my set limit and was executed the other expired without being fulfilled. This will only work as long as my broker company is doing "free" stock trades.

I figure if I can get the dopamine hits and increase my investment earnings potential, it's a win win?
That works too - if you got the ability. Right now I tend to not look at my balances due to the volatility and the market trending down of late. I still have not recovered back to first of the year balances, which were not back up to a previous balance. I just have to ride it out.

I suspect Approvals or holds depend on factors far beyond what we mere mortals think. Perhaps they take into account FICO scores (Like insurance Companys do!), and I always give up my SS number on the 4473 to speed things up. Recent traffic ticket's, Pending lawsuits, or a host of other things I could conjure up. This is pure speculation om my part.
Interesting thought, but doesn't seem likely. I was always cleared quick until the last one. I did the form exactly the same way as always, CHL, SSN, etc.. I have excellent+ credit, squeaky clean criminal and driving record, and an uncommon name. And yet I was thrown in the two-month long queue.

I suspect there's a certain amount of random in the system. Things like the time of day, venue, and who takes the call, seem to make more difference than anything else. I think the system as designed is the biggest past of the problem. It's a mess overall and simply not designed for this volume.

v8akpgacnbqa1.jpg

I wouldn't call it an addiction. There are plenty of firearms that I like that I would put into my "toy" category. But I refrain from buying them now and since M114, I have been focused on completing a "5 gun, must have bag" for each of my kids that they will receive as a house warming present when each moves out and gets their own place.

For those who don't savvy, the 5 gun bag (for me) consist of firearms in widely common use for logistic purposes (repair parts, magazines, availability of caliber, etc.). One being a 9mm pistol; likely a Glock 19, or Beretta 92fs or M9 ( although my personal choices are a bit different (I'm a USP fanboy), I've tried to keep it simple for the kids as they are not quite the enthusiast that I am), 2nd is a pump 12ga.shotgun, again most common being Remington or Mossberg, next is a shredder of some type. I have it narrowed down to the classics; basic A2 AR15 or basic AK platforms (or one of each if I can make it happen for them.

Next is a 6" medium framed revolver. Narrowed down to Ruger or S&W ( however, an extra one for the pocket, like a compact snubby in .38, 357, or even 9mm couldn't hurt). And last but not least is a "reach out and touch someone rifle in the widely available 308 Win. simple but strong bolt action or Ruger No.1 (although its difficult and expensive to acquire them in 308).

Ironically The first thing I bought for each of them was Ruger 10/22s, so you can see how the 5 gun bag can easily turn into the 7, 8, or 9 gun bag. Getting a bit heavy. And then there are safes to think about for them.

I know your saying why not let them earn it themselves, and they will, believe me. But like many others here, I am not counting on time being on their side once they are old enough and in their own homes, the political climate being what has been for the last couple decades.
When I purchased my first house, I sold off a beautiful collection of somewhat rare S&W revolvers (CS-1s, pre-lock Mountain Guns, Early stainless pinned and recessed models, among other cool and collectable toys), it hurt, but I got over it, and I learned that I don't get nearly the same joy out of safe queens that I do out of quality built shooters.

Sure, the value goes down the more I shoot them, but I have learned to just purchase guns for their utility and durability factor over any other motive, and I do not, or rarely sell. I'm in it for the long haul. I'm talking great grandkids.

When my kids all have their basic 5(+), then maybe I'll get back into hand cannon revolvers and lever guns and exotic calibers like before.

Maybe it does border on addiction, but I justify it by calling it "a duty to my posterity". What do you all think about that?

For me - it is 3-4 guns; self-defense handgun, self-defense rifle (in a rifle caliber), shotgun and a .22 rimfire something. Each of these can be most any reasonable popular common caliber.

Of course I have more than that; e.g., I have self-defense handguns in 9x19, .40 & .45, rifles in 5.7, 5.56, 7.6 2x39 & 7.62x51. Shotguns in .410, 20 & 12 ga. Revolvers in .22 (and rifles), .357, .44 & .45 (ACP). And more (.30-30 & .45-70 & .30-06). You may notice they are all common calibers (except 5.7x28), and that is why I have them and plenty of ammo for each.

But I need better sights, optics, holsters, and other accessories/accoutrements. So I have stopped buying guns (for the most part) and now I am keeping my eyes open for the stuff that goes with the guns to make them more useful/usable.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top