JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you a member of an established Mutual Assistance Group (MAG)?

• Yes, I am!

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Kind of ... it is more of a loose confederation at this point.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Used to but not any more.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • No, but I would be interested in such.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • No!

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters
I thought I would toss this one out for discussion. While humans have organized themselves in such a way to share resources and skills since time immemorial, the Mutual Assistance Group (MAG) is one specifically setup to pull through a major disaster together, with defined roles, a communication system, supplies, training, perhaps even a central shelter, et al., already in place before it goes down.

The book The Survival Group Handbook: How to Plan, Organize and Lead People for a Short Or Long Term Survival Situation (2014), page 15, by Charley Hogwood and Dr. Joe Alton, defines the notion simply as:

"A Mutual Assistance Group is a group of like-minded individuals who pledges to assist each other in times of crisis. It may or may not be in your best interest to to be aligned with one and there are several important things to consider before joining/starting one."
The concept, if not the phrase, has been around in the post-war preparedness community for some time. From How to Survive the H-Bomb and Why (1962), page 25—28, by Pat Frank:

"In Sylvan Shores, a central Florida exurb of spacious lakeside homes and small citrus groves, there has been constructed the most elaborate group shelter. 'Shelter' is not quite the proper word. It is a subterranean fortress in which up to a hundred people can exist for six months and be prepared to till the soil and perpetuate the race when they emerge. It is proof against heaviest fallout, and has its own power plant, water supply, and even air-conditioning. Some of the people hereabouts disrespectfully refer to it as 'the Catacombs,' or 'that underground country club,' but it is a serious enterprise that may become a model for similar projects elsewhere. It is designed to exorcise the specter of total war with assurance of total survival, as far as can be assured. Twenty-five families have subscribed for space. Each family is allotted one room, then feet by ten, and no more than four souls are allowed to the room.

Naturally, the Sylvan Shores shelter will operate under stringent rules. Only subscribers and their immediate families will be admitted. Even visiting friends and close relatives will be barred. And the twenty-five families have arms to defend the shelter against who try to force their way in; and plenty of ammunition."
Similarly, Life After Doomsday (1980), by Dr. Bruce Clayton, references such:

"Many have formed 'retreat groups' by banding together and buying rural property which they intend to occupy when life in the cities becomes too dangerous. I had never heard of retreaters or survivalists, but a little research uncovered the fact that there are many thousands of such people throughout the country, with their own newsletters, newspapers, literature"

"Believe it or not, even a nuclear war is survivable. With an eye toward realistic preparation, you can see to it that your family and a small group of friends will be able to live through the holocaust and the post-attack period with a minimum of unpleasantness."
And the book Prepping for a Suburban or Rural Community (2013), by Michael Mabee, expands upon the concept at a small community level.

So, some questions to ponder:

• Are you currently part of a Mutual Assistance Group (MAG)?
  • If so, how was it formed? From family members, friends, acquaintances, business contacts, intimate partners, a religious body (e.g., church, synagogue, etc.), a local CERT or other civil defense group, an ethnic community, etc.? Some combination of all those? If you would, please share your story.
  • What unique skill set do you provide your group?
  • Do you have medical personnel in your group?
  • Over how large of a geographical location is your group, how do you communicate now, and how do you propose to communicate when it hits the fan?
  • Have you standardized on any equipment, technologies, weapons, calibers, etc.? If so, how?
Thanks for sharing!

Last Edited:
"Believe it or not, even a nuclear war is survivable. With an eye toward realistic preparation, you can see to it that your family and a small group of friends will be able to live through the holocaust and the post-attack period with a minimum of unpleasantness."

Maybe for a single warhead. But in a global thermonuclear event, the planet will die. From radioactive dust clouds causing a nuclear winter to the devastation of 90-95% of the sustainable food supply.

If S indeed really HTF, I'd rather be at a ground zero detonation. I'm 43, I've had a good life and I enjoy it very much, but no way do I want to try and survive with the cockroaches.

We began Pre-bama era its what sparked many such ideas. Each participant has specific set of skills and materials to ensure positive reliability.

If you are interested in opening a dialogue with folks who aren't quite there or interested in having the discussion, you should change the poll to be less insulting toward them.

I am a member of a church, a community I live in and part of the human race so ya I am part of a MAG. o_O

A MAG, within the context of preparations, is significantly more specific than that.

We began Pre-bama era its what sparked many such ideas. Each participant has specific set of skills and materials to ensure positive reliability.

Excellent. If you feel comfortable sharing more, that would be great.

If you are interested in opening a dialogue with folks who aren't quite there or interested in having the discussion, you should change the poll to be less insulting toward them.

Zero insult intended. If you've seen other such polls I (and for that matter others) have created over the years, there are often one or two joke answers for the fun. Be that as it may, I removed the two silly options, lest it be misinterpreted.

Beyond that, if you are interested, ask away! :)

:D Go to bing and type in your name and checkmates. If you are like me then you feel there is too much info out about yourself all ready so in the true survival sense why would you post up everything from group activities to weapons you own? Not trying to ruin your thread but no survivalist in their right mind advertises on the net.o_O

I retired from being a survivalist when I retired from work 3 years ago. I made it, I survived to get here and dont' need all the stuff I thought I might need to get here.

Today I accept death and live life to its fullest until time to go. Survival has an entirely different meaning to old people like me:D

Thank you, it's been on my mind to be more prepared and I have been discussing it with various families lt members and friends. I appreciate the sources you have pointed to. I would think you would want to be careful who you would hitch your wagon to in a SHTF situation. OTOH, ther are times when you are called upon to love your neighbor or be the good Samaratin. You don't always get to choose your environment in a disaster or state of emergency. I found the martial law approach they took with the citizens of New Orleans to be particularly disturbing.

Last Edited:
Thank you, it's been on my mind to be more prepared and I have been discussing it with various families lt members and friends. I appreciate the sources you have punted to.

Godspeed on the preparedness plans. I am glad the materials were of interest. If there should be any preparedness-related topic upon which a bibliography would be of some assistance, I would be glad to compile said. Best wishes.

The movie " The postman" Hope your future will be as good as shown in the movie. It's going to happen. May well be by next winter. SHTF. will take place at the start or mid winter. That movie depicts ( I think) 10/15 yrs after crapola hit

The movie " The postman" Hope your future will be as good as shown in the movie. It's going to happen. May well be by next winter. SHTF. will take place at the start or mid winter. That movie depicts ( I think) 10/15 yrs after crapola hit

I probably should watch this one. As a general rule, I watch any SHTF film I can. And though I've liked at least one of his films (The Untouchables), I generally don't care for Costner. And the reviews were, eh-hem, less than charitable on this flick. Parenthetically, I have heard the original book is worth a read though.

when He became big news * seemed like no one like Him. I have never seen his movies, until a good 15 yrs later.

50 cent VHS days. I'm talking about the first 3/4 movies.

In 64 years of watching film movies. most every thing shown in these flicks has come true.

Different saturation levels of MAG for different needs/situations. For some, its a tendency to jump on (and stay on) welfare, where others would rather die alone.

Any comprehensive level of a MAG being established should be done-so with a Post Rule Of Law (most extreme) situation(s) in mind; I'll explain.

Who would YOU trust if there were no more written laws on the "books", no more money, and no more infrastructure?

How people conduct themselves now can "speak" more about their obedience; than it "speaks-to" their self discipline and morality.

I voted "loose-confederation" because the people I trust (and they know who they are) are self- sufficient and self-disciplined now! If people cannot pull their weight now, they would be a huge liability later.

Top of the reading list should be the work if Friedrich Nietzsche; particularly about his hyperborean redoubt.

Friedrich Nietzsche - Wikipedia

Ubermensch!

I would be very interested in something like this. I've spent years now attempting to prepare for something bad. War or this monster quake that's supposed to hit or etc etc. I have a very close family friend that is of the same mind but does nothing to get ready. My aging parents believe something bad is on the horizon but aren't financially stable enough yet to put anything up. So I try to set aside anything I can to cover them, but its just not enough. Wife and three kids being far more important and all.

It makes me feel bad, because I know they'll come to me if bubblegum goes south. But ill most likely have to tell them no.

Sucks knowing you have very little support outside your own tiny group. But I guess that's the way its gotta be

Maybe for a single warhead. But in a global thermonuclear event, the planet will die. From radioactive dust clouds causing a nuclear winter to the devastation of 90-95% of the sustainable food supply.

If S indeed really HTF, I'd rather be at a ground zero detonation. I'm 43, I've had a good life and I enjoy it very much, but no way do I want to try and survive with the cockroaches.

Same here. I'd rather see a bright light then night night than try to survive such an event long term. Fact is, I don't think it will happen in our lifetime or in any other. But natural disasters, that's worth planning for.

What is the best option for folks that don't like or trust other people? ;) I know there are plenty out there.

Same here. I'd rather see a bright light then night night than try to survive such an event long term. Fact is, I don't think it will happen in our lifetime or in any other. But natural disasters, that's worth planning for.

Agreed. I don't foresee a full nuclear exchange happening either. The big players know there is no way to "win" such a war. A small, isolated, rogue nation with limited nuclear capability, maybe more likely, but even those nutter regimes know that if they touch off a nuke on our soil, the retaliation would be the end of their society.

A serious natural disaster, however, is another matter. I have been doing a lot of reading on the Cascadia subduction zone and working on preps accordingly, but that is a topic for another time.

Who would YOU trust if there were no more written laws on the "books", no more money, and no more infrastructure?

Indeed, that is the "hundred dollar question".

As of now, we have limited our preparedness with close family (related by blood or marriage) and even those are limited to, for want of a better term, "reliable" people. We discussed expansion on to others we are close with, but we are not there yet. As an example, we are about to wrap up a radio system project by the end of this month that will allow us to communicate over a decent amount of distance. However, those that will be on said system will be limited. (I plan on doing a write up on that system at some point.)

Beyond that, while some events would be the end of the world as we know it (TEOTWAWKI), there are lesser disasters that having a MAG ready to roll would be good. And there are some in the middle. A major Cascadia event would be devastating to the region, with the infrastructure sustaining massive damage. However, eventually, "the lights would come back on", and law and order reestablished. Surviving the months until they do, though, would be the challenge.

I live at my BOL. It took years to make it happen and thankfully I've been here for six years now.

This is my Alamo.

There are three sets of immediate neighbors that I am very close to and they are the folks I'll stand with if it comes to it. I'm the only "prepper" in the bunch, so I've chosen to prep for them as much as practical.
They're country folk and what many think of as preparedness is just common sense to them. So while things are not formally organized, we should do okay.

We have two nurses, a caregiver, a mechanic, carpenter, a Jack of all Trades and a natural foods/homeopath/herbalist and two smart young farmers.
I wish we had some people with combat experience since I'm pretty much just an old guy with guns and an attitude.

A topic seldom discussed and thoroughly practiced in hypothetical MAG "serendipities" or practical exercises is the QRF and the QRF load out packages.

Detailing specifics on an open forum would be careless, but suffice to say...

Quick Reactionary Force (QRF) planning is an imperative to any MAG. A load out package for the QRF is equally imperative. The pkg must be tested, locations must be identified (accessible defendable, recognisable), and link ups must be rehearsed.

QRFs can occur (be required) during a natural or man made disaster under a ROL (easy) or martial law (not so easy).

**"The Post Rule Of Law QRFs would be a combat mission.***

Routes, comms, triggers (aka event matrices), and rally points must be rehearsed (formally & informally), and must include primary, alternate, and suplimentary planning.

Those of us who are called by a selected few for help, must go help, and go boldly!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top