JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks to me the bill is actually a punitive one. NOT a preventative one. Your only guilty if a minor actually gets a hold of the gun without permission.

We all know that the type of thug wanna be, or perhaps actual thug scumbag that leaves his loaded 9mm lying around the 4 year old boy of his latest girlfriend, ain't gonna get no stinkin safety lock.
The kind of domestic situation where the 4 year old will be lucky not to get punched in the head for wetting the bed by the drugged out stand in Dad with the bad azz gun he's always showing off.
Is this law supposed to prevent that kid from shooting the gun?

Those who say "no kids in my house" or "unenforceable" maybe need to think a little further down the road.
Another legislative session or two with a solid Dem majority and we will be looking at amendments to this Law that go beyond punitive only if a minor gets your unlocked gun.

I'm predicting mandatory lock-up when not on your person. A law like this would still be unenforceable to a point, as I don't really envision mandatory inspections right away.

That point being a nosy neighbor or your child's playmate snitching about the guns you were cleaning laying around while you were taking a leak or on the phone. Or a guest snooping around during a BBQ seeing for themselves if you keep a gun hidden in the bathroom! Police harassment comes next, perhaps confiscation, fines or jail time. If they've enacted registration by then well.......
You might just be in a" heap of trouble boy!" as Sheriff Gleason used to say.

Look Keeping loaded guns away from unsupervised young children and a few Adults is common sense.
History proves you can't Legislate Common sense.

Anyone who is O.K. with this feel good Law (and there are many here I'm afraid), please reconsider and write your Rep.

Last Edited:
Media wise I lose no matter how legal I am. Once they open safes, flip mattresses, look in night stands, count firearms & ammo, media makes me bad guy with too many firearms, to much ammo. I'm a newbie to firearms but have more than average and it scares me to think I could lose them

Media wise I lose no matter how legal I am. Once they open safes, flip mattresses, look in night stands, count firearms & ammo, media makes me bad guy with too many firearms, to much ammo. I'm a newbie to firearms but have more than average and it scares me to think I could lose them
One of those guys who has an arsenal and a stockpile?

This law could help erode gun culture be restricting interested new shooters in opportunities to shoot. My grandmother was the first to introduce me to shooting, BB guns, and the safe handling of her real rifles. My mother was not happy about this. Didn't go further than a conversation for our family but I question what would have happened to grandma with this as law and more strained family dynamics.

I got to shoot with my uncle too. would my parents have needed to sign a consent form? What if they said ok and then decided to raise a stink and jam up my uncle?

Scout camp shooting, I suspect there is a form for that.

(2) This section does not prohibit:
(a) A minor, who is not otherwise prohibited under subsection (1)(c) of this section, from possessing a firearm:

(A) Other than a handgun, if the firearm was transferred to the minor by the minor's parent or guardian or by another person with the consent of the minor's parent or guardian; or

(B) Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose, with the permission of the minor's parent or guardian;

Proposed change by the bill in bold.

I just think it's redundant and totally unnecessary. No, you shouldn't take a gun out without permission, but this includes teenagers who are or are becoming independent actors. If they're being lawful, why is there an issue? If they're not being lawful, they're probably being detained and questioned. Is there some desperate need by law enforcement for power that they don't already have to be able to "check up" on youth they find wandering around the streets and the woods with guns or is this tied in with the rest of the bill that could be used to create liability of the parents for "allowing access" even if the minor in possession is not otherwise doing anything noteworthy? It seems like tattling.

a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(G) Has been convicted of endangering a minor by allowing access to a firearm under section 1 of this 2015 Act within five years prior to being charged under this section.

Just throwin that out there.

Last Edited:
OK not so newbie but don't have a stock pile. Definatley last house on the block to break into. That's the part that scares me
I think I might just qualify as having a modest Stockpile but my Arsenal is a bit weak by NWF standards anyway:D
Now those bozos in the media and up in Salem would classify me as a Crazy anti Government Prepper type who had amassed a huge Arsenal and Stockp........
That is if they pass a bunch of these stupid laws and I got caught not exactly complying or something.

Yeah just wait a little while after all this passes. Examples will have to be made. Violators will be publicly punished and shamed as well as fined and incarcerated.

I see nothing saying a minor must be under the direct supervision of a legal guardian, so couldn't you just tell your kid "From this day forward, I grant ______ permission to access this safe and use these firearms?" Maybe even draft a written version and tape it right on the safe

So the way this is written if your 12 year old takes your loaded nightstand gun and blows away some crazed crackhead breaking into the house while you are away, then you are going to get arrested????

This stupid aspect just occurred to me. Now some 12 year olds have no business being home alone or accessing a gun but MANY a 12 year old could defend herself against attack and should be allowed to without Legal repercussions to the parent.

So the way this is written if your 12 year old takes your loaded nightstand gun and blows away some crazed crackhead breaking into the house while you are away, then you are going to get arrested????

This stupid aspect just occurred to me. Now some 12 year olds have no business being home alone or accessing a gun but MANY a 12 year old could defend herself against attack and should be allowed to without Legal repercussions to the parent.

True

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads