JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As for the Measure 114 requirement that an applicant demonstrate their ability to shoot a firearm, it doesn't explicitly require live fire. I would think pulling the trigger on an unloaded trainer should suffice?
I think we won't really know expressly what form the training will evolve into until a cohesive plan is in place. Likely, that will be altered and refined over time as well. It may also be dependent on which Sheriffs office you apply through. I'm sure they will have some discretion (official or non) as to what they will or won't require for permit issuance(?)

I think we won't really know expressly what form the training will evolve into until a cohesive plan is in place. Likely, that will be altered and refined over time as well. It may also be dependent on which Sheriffs office you apply through. I'm sure they will have some discretion (official or non) as to what they will or won't require for certification(?)
The portion that mentions demonstrating physical ability doesn't say live fire. If I can demonstrate to a instructor that I can lock, load, unload, fire (pull the trigger) etc with dummy rounds you can be sure I could do it with live rounds.

(D) In-person demonstration of the applicant's ability to lock, load, unload, fire and store a firearm before an instructor
certified by a law enforcement agency.

(D) In-person demonstration of the applicant's ability to lock, load, unload, fire and store a firearm before an instructor
certified by a law enforcement agency.
Yeah, but there is still some room for discretion. Ie., A Sheriff's office hostile to issuance might interpret that to mean live fire with an actual firearm they will not supply while a Sheriff's office hostile to the 114th might accept demonstration on a dummy firearm or even in the extreme, verbal acknowledgement from someone they know to hold a CC license or aquaintance. KWIM?

Letter of the law vs. in practice.

IOW, it's doesn't specify "live fire", but it also doesn't state "live fire not required". It could go either way and we can't really argue one way or the other based on how it's written.

Yeah, but there is still some room for discretion. Ie., A Sheriff's office hostile to issuance might interpret that to mean live fire with an actual firearm they will not supply while a Sheriff's office hostile to the 114th might accept demonstration on a dummy firearm or even in the extreme, verbal acknowledgement from someone they know to hold a CC license or aquaintance. KWIM?

Letter of the law vs. in practice.
I agree, residents in anti-gun counties should expect much stricter interpretations of the qualifications.

If I was an instructor, I would immediately seek out approval from all Sheriff's depts in counties I expected customers to come from. Better to get approval now and not need it than to need it and get caught up in the mess that will ensue, if BM114 passes.

If I was an instructor, I would immediately seek out approval from all Sheriff's depts in counties I expected customers to come from. Better to get approval now and not need it than to need it and get caught up in the mess that will ensue, if BM114 passes.
Not a bad idea, but there is still a slim possibility it won't pass and a large possibility that, even if it does, having a stay or RO put on it is "possible" while it works through the courts. No way it survives strict scrutiny so anything put in place to accomodate it is short lived. Some will jump on the bandwagon but I'm sure some will choose not to and just ride it out thru to it's demise. ;)

IP17 will be on the ballot in Nov where we will lose ability to buy standard capacity mags and they will create tons of new hoops to jump through to buy guns (probably all without funding to do it which will mean a huge backlog/ClusterF).

My guess is they will also do an ip18 type assault weapons ban next year. It looks like dark times are looming.

I don't know but I'm guessing it will take years for a challenge to get to the Supreme Court to overturn this BS (if it passes).
At least you get a chance to vote on it unlike the magazine ban that was forced upon us in Washington state. Not that it really matters since even on things we do vote on either gets passed due to apathetic turnout or are overturned by the powers that be. Taking these issues to the state Supreme court is a loser if you are expecting results favoring something conservative or right wing. Our latest primary election only had a 40% turnout.

At least you get a chance to vote on it unlike the magazine ban that was forced upon us in Washington state. Not that it really matters since even on things we do vote on either gets passed due to apathetic turnout or are overturned by the powers that be. Taking these issues to the state Supreme court is a loser if you are expecting results favoring something conservative or right wing.
Absolutely, 100%, totally agree. Sadly...
Our latest primary election only had a 40% turnout.
At least where you live (Clark County), you managed to exceed the statewide voter turnout percentage. My county (Benton), couldn't even pull off 40%... :(

All the gun hating Portland and College town libs will vote to ban all those icking guns and magazines. . .
If it saves just one life. . . .
But yet, they'll vote to murder >million per annum on average in the womb.
"If it saves one life." Hypocrisy in the extreme...

The solution to combating mag capacity limit bans has been staring us in the face the whole time. We have just failed to listen closely to the woke-tard point of view.

As long as our ammo is still in the first trimester post mfg... it doesn't qualify as a real bullet so we are free to carry as many as we want!!!

:s0094:

Just my thoughts on this... It seems to me we used to have a powerful gun lobby in the NRA that was helpful keeping this stuff in check. But now the weapon we have is the courts.

And a very effective weapon it is! We should maximize its use imo. It seems to me gun owners should be pooling their resources (ie $) towards a single body/group/? that will effectively and very quickly challenge these laws in court. And the group should not be wasting $ on Golden parachutes for their executives or corruption (sorry had to throw that one in there cuz it does happen as we have seen in other groups).

Whoever the attorneys were that won Bruin should be the lawyers hired, or similar effective attorneys imo.

Seems to me that the anti gun side has organzination and a zealous desire to get rid of guns. We, on the other hand, are disorganized. And just like any other battle in history, the more organized, prepared, and effective side will beat the side that is leaderless, unfocused, and disorganized.

Just being blunt here so sorry if it sounds crass. But imo we need to acknowledge "the facts on the ground" so to speak if we are ever going to become effective at fighting this crap.

Have you heard of the Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF)? If every gun owner in Oregon gave just the $50/$100 (Individual/Joint) that they can get back when filing a state tax return, dollar for dollar (net $0), and did so every year, OFF would probably be rolling in cash!

I disagree, I believe it will be overturned. may take time but i bet we get a injunction at least to halt the measure pending upper courts..

Its pretty simple really, we can do what they did, start now for a Repeal 114 if need be. getting the required signatures would not be hard.. hard work but not hard..
Oregon had 418k background checks for firearm transfers in 2020 338k in 2021, not sure totals thus far.. even if you take in acct that possibly 1/3 f those are the same people buying multiple guns(3). that leaves 252k gun owners to sign up.. have petitions @ evey FFL in the state. We are the Militia!! we must stand for Constitution!
If this is the case, and everyone votes accordingly, there will be no need for appeal…

OK, so lets say this passes. Whats next?

How long will it take for them to implement all the requirements, get ranges on board for the shooting parts, a state office and people to 'run' this idiocy and all the other 'administrative' functions? And who or what will 'run' this at the city & county levels?

And where does the funding come from for this? Is this included in the bill?

The people responsible for this sicken me to the point of puking - and I hope for misery, pain and discontent to follow them for the rest of their days.........
There is no funding. This will literally end ALL firearms sales in Oregon, at least for the near term!

I see the FBI erected barricades around their headquarters, threats of bombing? and general noise of civil war and violence? Marshal law before Brandon gets sacrificed by the Dems to restore order after the guns are gone??? just fiction like 1984, right?

I may get some hate here but my frustration is in the hypocrisy of the wording of the measure. If they are so concerned with "safety" why do they not mention manual safeties? (I am of an older generation so manual safeties no not bother me but the hypocrisy and ignorance of the authors of the bill does.). They don't care about safety…it's a ploy to get votes based on emotional, knee jerk responses.

Magazine capacity? Really? I know some people who can reload so fast they can fire four ten round magazines faster, and more accurately, than some can fire two twenties.

Additionally, driving, hunting, fishing and concealed carry could be considered a privilege so, fine, charge a fee BUT gun ownership is a right so there should be no charge, for training or otherwise to exercise that right. This infringes in a right.

Finally, a lack of exceptions. As a 23 year veteran I have spent DAYS on the firing range including acting as the range safety NCO. Are they telling me I need a class to be taught how to safely handle a weapon? The only exception I read was for current law enforcement officers. I am insulted!!

Well…another opinion left here…sorry about the manual safety comments but it proves the authors agenda has nothing to do with safety.
do you also believe in poll taxes?

I see the FBI erected barricades around their headquarters, threats of bombing? and general noise of civil war and violence? Marshal law before Brandon gets sacrificed by the Dems to restore order after the guns are gone??? just fiction like 1984, right?
I have noticed that every fear we had from Islamic Extremists post 911 are suddenly being attributed to any Trump supporter over the past few days, such as dirty bombs. IMO there is an effort to paint their political opposition as domestic terrorists so they can justify martial law and suspend Constitutional law "until the emergency has passed".

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top