JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IP17 will be on the ballot in Nov where we will lose ability to buy standard capacity mags and they will create tons of new hoops to jump through to buy guns (probably all without funding to do it which will mean a huge backlog/ClusterF).

My guess is they will also do an ip18 type assault weapons ban next year. It looks like dark times are looming.

I don't know but I'm guessing it will take years for a challenge to get to the Supreme Court to overturn this BS (if it passes).
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it... THIS ^^^ RIGHT HERE...is why folks in Oregon and Washington need to a) be paying VERY close attention to what is going on in California and b) support the legal challenges that come out of California.

EVERYTHING coming to Oregon and Washington already exists in CA. So the good news here is that there's a really good chance that CA has already initiated the legal challenges for you.

The case is Duncan v. Bonta and it challenges the constitutionality of high capacity magazine bans. Bonta is the petty tyrant California Attorney General (fyi). And the case was initially decided in our favor. Judge Roger Benitez wrote an absolutely beautiful and scathing decision...which, of course, was subsequently overturned in an 11 judge en banc hearing by the 9th...just like always.

The "good guys," however, have since filed a Petition for Certiorari, which is a request for judicial review by SCOTUS. This was as of March 1st and the case is sitting en-wait until SCOTUS reviews it...and they're currently closed for the summer so nothing is going to happen for a bit.

However, in light of the recent decision in Bruen, things look particularly good for this case. Judge Benitez's initial decision was in accordance with the judicial review process outlined in Heller and upheld in Bruen. The 9th Disctrict Court's overturning of that decision was based on their typical ridiculous two step evaluation process where the basically make up whatever they need to in order to declare a law constitutional. But there's no way that can be upheld by SCOTUS, given the recent Bruen decision.

What will likely happen is SCOTUS will either a) say outright that Judge Benitez's initial decision will stand or b) SCOTUS will remand the case back to the 9th and tell them to knock off the crap and use the Bruen method.

The point, however, is that case has been going on for years as cases do, but we are a whole lot closer to the end at this point than we are to the beginning. It's not like Oregon has to start from scratch and whatever gets decided in this case should absolute apply to Oregon since all three states are under purview of the 9th. You can follow the case status at the Calguns linky below...as well as the status for several other cases that will likely be relevant to WA and OR.

So please do what you can both in deed and financially to support these cases. Most of them will have a direct impact on what happens in both WA and OR. :)

It sounds like the Left Coast mag cap will be legally toast by the end of 2022.

That still leaves the oppressive "May Issue" by your local LEO system in place for getting a permission slip to purchase a firearm.

Since Clarence Thomas made it clear in the Bruen decision that all states are to be "Shall Issue" for CCW, that should apply to purchase permits.

I'm trying to remain optimistic. Is it going to pass? Ya'betcha. I hold out hope though that they would fairly immediately have stays and RO's on them though from the courts. I don't think we'll have to wait years and SCOTUS review. We've already seen lower courts putting stays and RO's on similar laws in other states, basically indefinately, based on the lower courts recognizing that any appeal will not be successful under strict scrutiny.

Will that happen in OR? I dunno, but any of the lower fed courts are pretty much in a position to have to acknowledge that any appeals to constiutional challenge won't be successful and grant more immediate relief. I would like to "think", anyway, that at least the fed courts will slowly come into line under the law and we see that more common when unconstitutional measures are passed within a state.

Some related CA laws are already making their way up that would also apply to OR law at the fed court level. Once that precedent is set in the CA case... OR and WA's are as good as dead, too.

To note: That doesn't mean that I haven't been becoming more mentally prepared to the possibility of leaving the state, though. :s0140:
100%, Post Bruan we will see laws fall

But how many local FFLs will go under waiting for this to work its way through the courts.
Too many. On the other hand; if SCOTUS also strikes down Federal Firearms Licensing schemes and Tax schemes, as well as order the destruction of all FFL records, disband the ATF and dismantle the NICS.... a man can dream, can't he? :rolleyes:

Edit I mean... "defund, disband, dismantle" systemic infringements, ""systemic racist institutions"", systemic oppression of the poors....... :s0140:

But how many local FFLs will go under waiting for this to work its way through the courts.
Other than the big box stores? If not ALL of em, darn near near it. Pawn shop FFL and home based hobby FFL's might still be around, but we've already been hearing from some of the home base FFL's already talking about not renewing, regardless. Too volitile these days with too little return.

That's the hardest part to swallow. While the woke-tards are creatng messes that may eventually be sorted, the private businesses and the hardships on the families losing their livlihoods is going to be disgusting collateral damage to their antics. I highly doubt any of them will feel even a moment of shame over it, though.

I don't want anyone to misinterpret my post! I'll fight tooth and nail when the time comes. I have voted against every Libtard/Demoncrat and their policies since residing in Oregon! The numbers are stacked and I've seen nowhere where my votes counted. I am not a native Oregonian so, my departure is for my own longing to be where I belong. :s0155:

@HA556

Where would you move to when or IF you move?

Where were you from originally if I may ask you?

Take care.

Cate

Some clerk with blue hair and a nose ring will simply determine that if you want a gun you must be crazy (It's all common sense, ya know) then you will have to prove you are not.
THIS is very true.

Cate

What will likely happen is SCOTUS will either a) say outright that Judge Benitez's initial decision will stand or b) SCOTUS will remand the case back to the 9th and tell them to knock off the crap and use the Bruen method.
My understanding is that Scotus has already vacated the 9ths ruling and GVR'd it. The Ninth has remanded it back down to Benitez which the WA gun law says is a stalling tactic.

Last Edited:
The Ninth has remanded it back down to Benitez which the WA gun law says is a stalling tactic.
It isn't working well so far though. Benitez had his opinion and order all ready to go before it even got remanded back down to him. After it hit his office it took all of 2 days (due to the weekend) for it to be entered and is allowing only 20 days for both parties to submit their revised opinions based on strict scrutiny.

IOW, mass fast tracking it and knowing the opposition has nothing to re-submit in support of their position now. Still, they where given 20 days to come up with a historical argument to support their side. Good luck with that! ;)

The clock he put on it was the minimum allowed and won't leave any meat on the bones as it moves back up the chain. I would highly suspect our side will be requesting summary judgements in the higher courts, and probably have them granted, but the district court certainly won't move on them near as quick as Benitez did. Or... at least the full panel in the 9th won't(?) We'll see.

I can't imagine Kalifederation not appealing it all the way up, again.

It isn't working well so far though. Benitez had his opinion and order all ready to go before it even got remanded back down to him. After it hit his office it took all of 2 days (due to the weekend) for it to be entered and is allowing only 20 days for both parties to submit their revised opinions based on strict scrutiny.

IOW, mass fast tracking it and knowing the opposition has nothing to re-submit in support of their position now. Still, they where given 20 days to come up with a historical argument to support their side. Good luck with that! ;)

The clock he put on it was the minimum allowed and won't leave any meat on the bones as it moves back up the chain. I would highly suspect our side will be requesting summary judgements in the higher courts, and probably have them granted, but the district court certainly won't move on them near as quick as Benitez did. Or... at least the full panel in the 9th won't(?) We'll see.

I can't imagine Kalifederation not appealing it all the way up, again.
That's awesome. Agree they will appeal as a delay tactic as that's pretty much all that's left to them. My guess is they will delay to keep the mag ban in place while CA lawmakers create a whole new set of complicated laws that also ban mags. Then those will need to make their way through the court.

If that turns out to be the case then essentially the 9th will be complicit in trying to undermine the constitution due to the explicit directions for strict scrutiny in Bruen. That should be an impeachable offense I would think but hard to prosecute it I suppose. Also not every member of the 9th would be in favor of such a tactic so I suppose they would have to be separated out of impeachment of individual judges.

Don't know, you all know Oregon areas better than I. In western WA for example, you need to tie to progressive ideas, like standing against big government, combatting racism, fairness, and the independent spirit. Non gun owners wouldn't really care so much about what you had, no offense. And the voice/face need to be "the oppressed", and make that clear by using BIPOC faces/voices or announcing their intersectionality in the ad, on the air, in the article, etc. You know your state, appeal to them in Oregonian.
^^^This

I had a very similar thought whilst reading the text of this offense to our rights and common decency. If this thing passes, and they try to implement it, it will be the mother of all clusterfs. And I have to imagine lawsuits would be flying like there is no tomorrow.
Yup!

We just need look back at the Cover Oregon health insurance aggregator failure. To the tune of $300 million. That wasn't even health insurance itself, just an aggregator/marketplace for health insurance plans.

We are expected to believe that the similar state employees will be able to implement 2A restriction plans? Please!

Its far more likely that such is the goal, not being able to implement whatever Looney Toon plans. So no one in the state can purchase firearms...

That's awesome. Agree they will appeal as a delay tactic as that's pretty much all that's left to them. My guess is they will delay to keep the mag ban in place while CA lawmakers create a whole new set of complicated laws that also ban mags. Then those will need to make their way through the court.

If that turns out to be the case then essentially the 9th will be complicit in trying to undermine the constitution due to the explicit directions for strict scrutiny in Bruen. That should be an impeachable offense I would think but hard to prosecute it I suppose. Also not every member of the 9th would be in favor of such a tactic so I suppose they would have to be separated out of impeachment of individual judges.
You'll never see 67 senators agree to impeach anyone ever again, the country's too divided and too many pols are party above country, particularly on one side of the aisle I shan't identify.

Yup!

We just need look back at the Cover Oregon health insurance aggregator failure. To the tune of $300 million. That wasn't even health insurance itself, just an aggregator/marketplace for health insurance plans.

We are expected to believe that the similar state employees will be able to implement 2A restriction plans? Please!

Its far more likely that such is the goal, not being able to implement whatever Looney Toon plans. So no one in the state can purchase firearms...
Only LEOs, their families and their political benefactors will be fast tracked for purchase permits.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top